[comp.arch] Why 32 bits?

lmb@ibmpa.UUCP (Larry Breed) (08/12/89)

In article <3490016@wdl1.UUCP> bobw@wdl1.UUCP (Robert Lee Wilson Jr) writes:
>And note that the tube type machines from which the 709x evolved were also
>36 bitters, and in turn that 36 is a nice multiple of 12 which is the
>number of rows in an "IBM" card. Since old machines like the 704/701 read
>cards as binary images into core, and translated bit patterns into
>(EBCDIC) characters via internal software rather than something in an I/O
>channel, this was not a coincidence!

Apocryphally, and perhaps even in truth, Herbert Simon and his checkers-
playing program influenced the choice of 36 bits.  When the 704 was
in the design stage (they didn't have "architecture" back then) there was
debate over choosing a 32- or a 36-bit word.  Simon represented a board
position by a boolean mask with one bit per red square.  (No need to
represent black squares since you can't move to them.)  That sounds like
32 bits, except that Simon's representation included an extra column off the
right edge of the board -- avoided special-casing his move generator at
the boundary.  That's 4 more red squares.  Simon urged a 36-bit word,
and that's what he got.

	Larry Breed

pattis@june.cs.washington.edu (Richard Pattis) (08/18/89)

> Apocryphally, and perhaps even in truth, Herbert Simon and his checkers-
> playing program influenced the choice of 36 bits. ...

Art Samuel is the one with the checker playing program at IBM (Christopher
Strachey did one in Europe). Newell and Simon did Chess (as well as Alex
Bernstein at IBM) .  A bunch of papers were published in 1958 and 1959: see
"Computers and Computation" published -and readings from- Scientific American
and see Feigenbaum and Feldman, "Computers and Thought").

mjones@stdc01.UUCP (Michael Jones) (08/19/89)

In article <1710@ibmpa.UUCP> lmb@ibmpa.UUCP (Larry Breed) writes:
>Apocryphally, and perhaps even in truth, Herbert Simon and his checkers-
> [...deleted stuff...]
>	Larry Breed

Are you thinking about Mr. Arthur Samuels? He did much in that area.

--
-- Michael T. Jones          Email:            ...!mcnc!rti!stdc01!mjones --
-- The wise man will pursue  Paper: 3101-H Aileen Drive, Raleigh NC 27606 --

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (08/21/89)

in article <1710@ibmpa.UUCP>, lmb@ibmpa.UUCP (Larry Breed) says:

> Apocryphally, and perhaps even in truth, Herbert Simon and his checkers-
> playing program influenced the choice of 36 bits.

No wonder we had all those DEC-20s back at CMU in the early 80's.

The 36 vs. 32 bit word also helped in that architecture considerably by
giving you 18 bits of address vs. the 16 bits that a 32 bit word would
have allowed.

--
Dave Haynie Commodore-Amiga (Systems Engineering) "The Crew That Never Rests"
            We have no choice.  We are, after all, professionals.