[comp.arch] NS32GX32 for realtime

levy@nsc.nsc.com (Jonathan Levy) (09/07/89)

In article <4523@ursa-major.SPDCC.COM> eli@chipcom.com writes:

>but...  i'm trying to evaluate which processor is most suitable
>for a high speed realtime system.  no floating point!
>
>the two main contenders are AM29000 and 68020...  so we are looking
>at the pros and cons of risc & cisc, obviously.  we have no great
>allegiance to either architecture.  we just need some serious speed.

If you are really serious about both speed AND system cost, you
have to consider the NS32GX32. It has all the advantages of
a RISC ( performance: 16070 dhrystones/second on version 2.1,
measured on real H/W - not a S/W simulator), with more cost saving
features than most other CISCs (dynamic bus sizing,
extremely low sensitivity to wait states, minimal code size,
etc. etc.....)

>we are interested in something with a development environment that is
>mature enough so that we won't be a defacto beta site...

Here I have some more good news. Based on feedback from many
happy customers, I can safely say that the NS32GX32 has development
tools second to none. These include optimizing compilers, full symbolic
debugger (with x-windows interface), HP ISE and HP logic analyzer,
both with full dissassembly capability and a realtime trace buffer
(which uses on-chip H/W that allows PC trace even when both code
and data are in on-chip caches). The development tools run
on a variety of hosts: Sun, Vax, and OPUS (Native 32000 development
Unix V.3)

Jonathan