[comp.arch] Bandwidth Wasters Hall of Fame

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (09/24/89)

axaris@cs.buffalo.edu (Vassilios Axaris) says:

> utterly interesting. Well, I happened to delve into the area of stack machines.
> I have not seen too much going on, except the RTX 2000. Why is there this lack

For more information on Forth CPU's, see the August issue of Microprocessor
Report.  This is a newsletter for which a sample issue may be requested
from mslater@cup.portal.com (that's how I got my copy).  The August issue
has an article which covers the RTX2000, RTX2001, and SC32 (from Silicon
Composers, Palo Alto CA).

I'm pretty impressed with this newsletter.  The content is extremely compact,
i.e. lots of information with essentially no hype.

WRT to the posting on "Bandwidth Wasters", I assume the original author had
his tongue firmly implanted in his cheek.  The only danger I see from his
posting is that it might encourage competition for the top slots.  (As I
write this, I have to sit on my hands to keep from blurting out some
gnawing questions about old DEC machines :-)

swarren@eugene.uucp (Steve Warren) (09/26/89)

In article <22461@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
                              [...]
>WRT to the posting on "Bandwidth Wasters", I assume the original author had
>his tongue firmly implanted in his cheek.  The only danger I see from his
>posting is that it might encourage competition for the top slots...

Well, I agree, I don't *think* he really intended to flame entire news
groups, I think he was really trying to be cute and funny and informative,
the only problem is, I've seen it appear in several news groups, and I
haven't noticed anyone smiling about it.

If he is going to inflict this on everyone, I think he needs to go back
and re-title his headings.  The postings are universally insulting, and
appropriate to alt.flame, but not to a good technical group like this
and others I've seen  his postings in (note it is appropriate for alt.flame
only because that is the flavor in that group).

I recognise he was joking.  I just think it was stupid.

This is my opinion, and does not necessarilly reflect the opinion of
my employers ;^).

--Steve
	  {uunet,sun}!convex!swarren; swarren@convex.COM