[comp.arch] Bandwidth Wasters Hall of Fame for comp.arch

xanthian@well.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) (09/22/89)

                         BANDWIDTH WASTERS HALL OF FAME
                                 for articles in
                            /usr/spool/news/comp/arch
                          Thu Sep 21 20:03:49 PDT 1989

   Bytes  Volume  Offending
  Wasted   Share  Articles     Guilty Party

   23682   8.79%    7  mash@mips.COM (John Mashey)
   12301   4.57%    2  ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury)
   10782   4.00%    1  wright@usceast.UUCP (Steve Wright)
   10324   3.83%    1  mcg@mipon2.intel.com (Steven McGeady)
    9445   3.51%    4  mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson)
    8500   3.15%    5  lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster)
    8494   3.15%    2  cliffhanger@cup.portal.com (Cliff C Heyer)
    8121   3.01%    2  melvin@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Steve Melvin)
    7445   2.76%    4  ok@cs.mu.oz.au (Richard O'Keefe)
    7410   2.75%    5  baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum)
    6803   2.52%    3  hascall@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (John Hascall)
    6107   2.27%    1  rfk@dukee.egr.duke.edu (Robert F Krick)
    5315   1.97%    3  hankd@pur-ee.UUCP (Hank Dietz)
    5255   1.95%    3  roelof@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (R. Vuurboom)
    4941   1.83%    4  les@unicads.UUCP (Les Milash)
    4708   1.75%    2  johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine)
    4675   1.74%    2  barry@PRC.Unisys.COM (Barry Traylor)
    4534   1.68%    1  retrac@titan.rice.edu (John Carter)
    4404   1.63%    2  daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie)
    4372   1.62%    1  mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson)
    4031   1.50%    2  bruce@tolerant.UUCP (Bruce Hochuli)
    3770   1.40%    2  roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith)
    3761   1.40%    3  colin@watcsc.waterloo.edu (Colin Plumb)
    3645   1.35%    1  suitti@haddock.ima.isc.com (Stephen Uitti)
    3632   1.35%    2  scott@bbxsda.UUCP (Scott Amspoker)
    3501   1.30%    1  glen@sunscreen.UUCP (Glen Ivey)
    3473   1.29%    1  kquick@simpact.com (Kevin Quick, Simpact Assoc., Inc.)
    3348   1.24%    2  aglew@urbana.mcd.mot.com (Andy-Krazy-Glew)
    3322   1.23%    1  jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup)
    3261   1.21%    2  preston@titan.rice.edu (Preston Briggs)
    3161   1.17%    1  albaugh@dms.UUCP (Mike Albaugh)
    3038   1.13%    1  rfg@ics.uci.edu (Ronald Guilmette)
    3029   1.12%    1  ECULHAM@UALTAVM.BITNET (Earl Culham)
    2991   1.11%    2  andrew@frip.WV.TEK.COM (Andrew Klossner)
    2759   1.02%    2  chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek)
    2692   1.00%    1  dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter)
    2522   0.94%    1  bmw@isgtec.UUCP (Bruce Walker)
    2508   0.93%    2  swarren@eugene.uucp (Steve Warren)
    2315   0.86%    1  jwmills@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Jonathan Mills)
    2211   0.82%    1  mat@uts.amdahl.com (Mike Taylor)
    2181   0.81%    1  sbf10@uts.amdahl.com (Samuel Fuller)
    2045   0.76%    1  daryl@hpcldko.HP.COM (Daryl Odnert)
    2029   0.75%    1  brent@uwovax.uwo.ca (Brent Sterner)
    1839   0.68%    1  eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond)
    1823   0.68%    1  jonah@db.toronto.edu (Jeffrey Lee)
    1815   0.67%    1  mcdonald@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu
    1776   0.66%    1  katin@skylark.Sun.COM (Neil Katin)
    1712   0.64%    1  rang@cs.wisc.edu (Anton Rang)
    1707   0.63%    1  mbutts@mentor.com (Mike Butts)
    1587   0.59%    1  mslater@cup.portal.com (Michael Z Slater)
    1539   0.57%    1  jab@dasys1.UUCP (Jeff A Bowles)
    1529   0.57%    1  david@daisy.UUCP (David Schachter)
    1464   0.54%    1  eifert@oakhill.UUCP (Jim Eifert)
    1426   0.53%    1  rodman@mfci.UUCP (Paul Rodman)
    1425   0.53%    1  stevew@wyse.wyse.com (Steve Wilson xttemp dept303)
    1422   0.53%    1  mccalpin@masig3.ocean.fsu.edu (John D. McCalpin)
    1333   0.49%    1  jgd@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (John G Dobnick)
    1271   0.47%    1  dfields@urbana.mcd.mot.com (David Fields)
    1253   0.47%    1  levisonm@qucis.queensu.CA (Mark Levison)
    1249   0.46%    1  henry@utzoo.uucp (Henry Spencer)
    1180   0.44%    1  ttl@astroatc.UUCP (Tony Laundrie)
    1159   0.43%    1  bmacintyre@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Blair MacIntyre)
    1158   0.43%    1  karl@ficc.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer)
    1155   0.43%    1  gcaw@otter.hpl.hp.com (Greg Watson)
    1154   0.43%    1  friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl)
    1144   0.42%    1  pkh@vap.vi.ri.cmu.edu (Ping Kang Hsiung)
    1093   0.41%    1  phil@diablo.amd.com (Phil Ngai)
    1044   0.39%    1  firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth)
     978   0.36%    1  amos@taux01.UUCP (Amos Shapir)
     964   0.36%    1  dheeraj@nile.cs.umd.edu (Dheeraj Sanghi)
     951   0.35%    1  perl@step.UUCP (Robert Perlberg)
     944   0.35%    1  rod@venera.isi.edu (Rodney Doyle Van Meter III)
     893   0.33%    1  cassel@sce.carleton.ca (Ron Casselman)
     877   0.33%    1  BEAR@S34.Prime.COM
     731   0.27%    1  lilja@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu
     585   0.22%    1  UTB100@PSUVM.BITNET
     415   0.15%    1  junien@prls.UUCP (Junien Labrousse)
-------- ------- ----
  269438  99.98%  122  Totals for 77 authors

(Roundoff fuzz may make total share < 100.00%)

(Sorry, if you posted from more than one site, you got more
than one entry.  It's unavoidable; think about it!  But even
though your subtotals look smaller, we know who you are!)

[A shar file of the scripts used to create this article was
posted to alt.sources by the author, Kent Paul Dolan.]

firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) (09/22/89)

>                         BANDWIDTH WASTERS HALL OF FAME
>                                 for articles in
>                            /usr/spool/news/comp/arch

This seems like a good opportunity for me to express my
thanks to all contributors to this newsgroup.

Over the past few months, I have learned more interesting,
relevant technical detail from this group than from any
other source, including books, journals, and conferences.
The contributions made here by its prominent posters are
clear, objective and fascinating.  The debates on major
architectural issues have been sharp, technically informative,
and conducted almost invariably with exemplary courtesy.

Please continue the good work.  Long life to you all,
and may your branch shadows never grow less.

Robert Firth

axaris@cs.buffalo.edu (Vassilios Axaris) (09/23/89)

I second the opinion expressed that the discussions have been elightening and
utterly interesting. Well, I happened to delve into the area of stack machines.
I have not seen too much going on, except the RTX 2000. Why is there this lack
of interest in the designer community, when the architecture offers some clear
advantages when considering code compaction, context switching, and the like?
Especially for high level languages that execute around the stack.
Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Yours,
Vassilios E. Axaris
axaris@marvin.cs.buffalo.edu
v999nzwr@ubvms.bitnet

preston@titan.rice.edu (Preston Briggs) (09/23/89)

In article <4186@bd.sei.cmu.edu> firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) writes:
>>                                 for articles in
>>                            /usr/spool/news/comp/arch
>
>This seems like a good opportunity for me to express my
>thanks to all contributors to this newsgroup.
>Robert Firth

Hear, hear!

Even the postings that I disagree with (sometimes violently) are useful
in that they help me define my own positions.  Keep up the
great work.

Preston

khb%chiba@Sun.COM (chiba) (09/23/89)

In article <10732@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> axaris@cs.buffalo.edu (Vassilios Axaris) writes:

>I have not seen too much going on, except the RTX 2000. Why is there this lack
>of interest in the designer community, when the architecture offers some clear
>advantages ...

When the world was young(er) :> , stack machines, register machines,
and direct memory machines (e.g. TI) battled for domination. Before
reasonable register allocation algorithms were discovered stack
machines were nifty ... but now having a lot (use your own figure of
merit :>) of registers and good allocation is generally
conceeded to be the short path to good performance.

The recent discussion of adaptive caching reminds me of the remark
(anyone know who originated it ?) "registers are compiler allocatable
caches".

Bottom line: A stack machine derives less benefit from locality of
             data reference.

Keith H. Bierman    |*My thoughts are my own. !! kbierman@sun.com
It's Not My Fault   |	MTS --Only my work belongs to Sun*
I Voted for Bill &  | Advanced Languages/Floating Point Group
Opus                | "When the going gets Weird .. the Weird turn PRO"

scott@bbxsda.UUCP (Scott Amspoker) (09/23/89)

In article <13744@well.UUCP> xanthian@well.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>                         BANDWIDTH WASTERS HALL OF FAME
>                                 for articles in
>                            /usr/spool/news/comp/arch
>                          Thu Sep 21 20:03:49 PDT 1989
>
>[deleted count of *offending* articles poster considers wasteful]

I'm disappointed I wasn't anywhere near the top of the list.  I guess
since I don't know as much as some other readers of this group I enjoy
learning from the informative postings of others.

Next time I want Mr. Dolan's opinions about the quality of postings
in this group I will ask for them.  (Yes, that's a flame).

--
Scott Amspoker
Basis International, Albuquerque, NM

sl@van-bc.UUCP (Stuart Lynne) (09/23/89)

In article <13744@well.UUCP> xanthian@well.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>                         BANDWIDTH WASTERS HALL OF FAME

The above article was the worst waste of bandwidth I've seen in this group for
a while. (With the possible exception of this one.)

--
Stuart.Lynne@wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)

davisp@marina.CWRU.EDU (Palmer Davis) (09/23/89)

In article <13744@well.UUCP> xanthian@well.UUCP (Kent Paul Dolan) writes:

>                         BANDWIDTH WASTERS HALL OF FAME
>                                 for articles in
>                            /usr/spool/news/comp/arch
>                          Thu Sep 21 20:03:49 PDT 1989
>
>   Bytes  Volume  Offending
>  Wasted   Share  Articles     Guilty Party
>
> [ incredibly long, wasteful, and inane commentary on people's net usage ]

This is the second newsgroup I've read today upon which you have inflicted
this mindless drivel.  For all your self-righteous posturing about wasters of
bandwidth, your ENORMOUS postings of irrelevant, misleading, and utterly
useless information are costing hundreds of sites across the continent (Thank
GOD you didn't send this worldwide!  The Australians would have had you shot!)
thousands of dollars in transmission and storage costs.  How can you so
irresponsibly abuse such a valuable resource?

>(Sorry, if you posted from more than one site, you got more
>than one entry.  It's unavoidable; think about it!  But even
>though your subtotals look smaller, we know who you are!)

As Tanto said to the Lone Ranger when the Apaches started attacking, "What you
mean 'we,' paleface?"  IMHO, the articles I've seen posted from the gentlemen
you've impugned have been relevant, to the point, and quite instructive to an
undergraduate Comp. E. major like me.  This is, in fact, the REASON we HAVE
Usenet -- to exchange information and views!

An outraged

  -- Palmer Davis --

Palmer T. Davis                  |  The opinions expressed herein are my own
Case Western Reserve University  |  and do not necessarily represent the truth.
davisp@skybridge.scl.cwru.edu    |  Flame away to your heart's content.

barry@PRC.Unisys.COM (Barry Traylor) (09/24/89)

In article <10732@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> axaris@cs.buffalo.edu (Vassilios Axaris) writes:
>I second the opinion expressed that the discussions have been elightening and
>utterly interesting.

Thank-you very much.  Even though I'm relatively new at this, I seemed to
finish in the top 25.

>Well, I happened to delve into the area of stack machines.
>I have not seen too much going on, except the RTX 2000. Why is there this lack
>of interest in the designer community, when the architecture offers some clear
>advantages when considering code compaction, context switching, and the like?
>Especially for high level languages that execute around the stack.
>Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you, thank-you for mentioning stack machines.  The little beastie I
work on happens to be one.  It is also concurrent per processor AND
multiprocessing.  The machine?  The Unisys (formerly Burroughs) A17.  Early
published literature can be found on an ancestor, the B6700.  The book was
still in print about 8 years ago:  "Structure and Architecture of the
B6700" by Elliot Organick.  I may be a little off on the title.  Processor
architecture reference manuals for current products can be ordered from
Unisys, but I'd be hard pressed to tell you how.

Barry Traylor
Unisys A Series Engineering
barry@prc.unisys.com (when I can dial in)

In article <125156@sun.Eng.Sun.COM> khb@sun.UUCP (chiba) writes:

>When the world was young(er) :> , stack machines, register machines,
>and direct memory machines (e.g. TI) battled for domination. Before
>reasonable register allocation algorithms were discovered stack
>machines were nifty ... but now having a lot (use your own figure of
>merit :>) of registers and good allocation is generally
>conceeded to be the short path to good performance.
>Bottom line: A stack machine derives less benefit from locality of
>             data reference.

Stack machines OPTIMIZE locality of reference.  By doing such, a processor
does not need to have massive quantities of registers available.  On a
context switch, or better yet, a process switch (which on most machines
involves 2 context switches), how long does it take to store and restore
all of those registers?  I remember reading in this forum that on a 40Mhz
SPARC machine, it took about 70microseconds to do a context switch.  It
takes much less than that on a 16MHz A17.  At the worst, a process switch
costs 20microseconds.  A context switch into the operating system costs
less than 5 microseconds.  A large part of the savings comes from the
ability of the PROCESSOR to schedule internal registers and make sure that
ONLY those that are needed immediately are valid.  Top of stack is then
chained through operators with a different top of stack register set for
each pipelined operation.  If an interrupt occurs, only those registers
representing the current top of stack for the interrupted operator need to
be pushed, not the entire register set.  The registers allocated for
operations subsequent to the interrupt are merely returned to the available
pool.

Options are my own.  Measurements are approximate, but not far off.

cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (09/25/89)

In article <11539@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM>, barry@PRC.Unisys.COM (Barry Traylor) writes:

> Stack machines OPTIMIZE locality of reference.  By doing such, a processor
> does not need to have massive quantities of registers available.  On a
> context switch, or better yet, a process switch (which on most machines
> involves 2 context switches), how long does it take to store and restore
> all of those registers?

How long does it take to get all those items on the stack, and to read them
off the stack?  The CDC6x00 and related machines had no programmer context
switch; it was necessary for each part of the program to make sure that the
contents of its important registers were not clobbered by any calls.  This
involved a great deal of loading and storing, far slower than context switch
hardware would have been if it were available.  Of course, it there was nothing
to save and later restore, this cost would not be incurred, but it was
frequently quite high.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet, UUCP)

tim@cayman.amd.com (Tim Olson) (09/25/89)

In article <11539@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> barry@PRC.Unisys.COM (Barry Traylor) writes:
| Stack machines OPTIMIZE locality of reference.  By doing such, a processor
| does not need to have massive quantities of registers available.

Except that the locality of reference for stack machines is too
narrow, mainly restricted to the first few items on the top of the
stack.  Compiler optimizations such as common subexpression
elimination and loop-invariant code-motion want to stuff useful values
into fast-access locations for reuse, but if you don't have a
mechanism for specifying these locations in the instruction set, then
the benefit of these optimizations is reduced.

| On a
| context switch, or better yet, a process switch (which on most machines
| involves 2 context switches), how long does it take to store and restore
| all of those registers?

The tradeoff here is how often you perform  a context switch vs. how often
you perform some other operation that can benefit from general-purpose
registers (and whether the context switch time meets any real-time
requirements placed on it).

	-- Tim Olson
	Advanced Micro Devices
	(tim@amd.com)

cliffhanger@cup.portal.com (Cliff C Heyer) (09/26/89)

There must be some error in the
bandwidth waste calculation algorithm.
I added up 32KB I've posted in Sept, in which
case I'd be in first place. But according
to the post, I posted only 8.5KB at
7th place.

(You might be thinking of the above
as tongue-in-cheek, but it's not!)

A quick scan of the bandwidth waster
list shows ALL the writers in comp.arch.
Which would lead one to conclude that the
title "wasters" is tongue-in-cheek. You
folks that thought otherwise, think before
you post!

asg@pyuxf.UUCP (alan geller) (09/29/89)

In article <4186@bd.sei.cmu.edu>, firth@sei.cmu.edu (Robert Firth) writes:
> >                         BANDWIDTH WASTERS HALL OF FAME
> >                                 for articles in
> >                            /usr/spool/news/comp/arch
>
> This seems like a good opportunity for me to express my
> thanks to all contributors to this newsgroup.
>
> Over the past few months, I have learned more interesting,
> relevant technical detail from this group than from any
> other source, including books, journals, and conferences.
> The contributions made here by its prominent posters are
> clear, objective and fascinating.  The debates on major
> architectural issues have been sharp, technically informative,
> and conducted almost invariably with exemplary courtesy.
>
> Please continue the good work.  Long life to you all,
> and may your branch shadows never grow less.
>
> Robert Firth

Hear, hear!!  Thanks, everyone!!

Alan Geller

!