[comp.arch] 88000 vs 3081.

cliffhanger@cup.portal.com (Cliff C Heyer) (09/14/89)

Re: Gregory/88000 vs 3081.

>So what is a "workstation"?   I have been unable to
>make any real distinction between a "workstation" and a "high-performance PC".
>The distinction (if there is one) is purely marketing hype.

The distinction is purely I/O, *not* MIPS.  All the 80386, 68030, etc.
PCs are *not* running at full capacity due to memory & I/O subsystems
being slower than the processor cycle time. Faster components blow
the cost out of the water.

Ask yourself why a 1974 DECsystem-10 could support 40 users with
only 1 MIPS of processor power, and today we have PCs that have 8 MIPS
but could NEVER handle 40 users with UNIX. The DECsystem-10 had a
20MB/s bus I/O BW, and had 2MB/s I/O to each of several MASSBUS
disk drives.

Today's PCs poke along with 5MB/s bus throughput and disk I/O of .2MB/sec
(200KB/sec) even with "alleged" 1.5MB/sec SCSI.  Try copying large files
with your stopwatch for the proof. For example, on a (4 MIPS) VAXstation
3500 if I time the copy of a 1MB+ contiguous-sectored file from disk
A to B, I get a rate of 1.3MB/second. (This is using SCSI w/large PC hard
drives) That is:

A=File size in millions of bytes.
B=Stopwatch time to copy this file file from disk A to B.

Throughput MB/sec = A/(B/2).

(B is divided by 2 because B is the time to READ from A *and*
write to B. Dividing by 2 gives the ballpark read or write time.)

A VAXstation 3500 CPU w/box costs about $11K, and then you can
hook up all the same SCSI stuff as the IBM PC. The cost is the
same as a souped up 386, except the VAX CPU board goes for
$10K instead of $3K. So you pay a *bit* more for that 1.3MB/sec.
In fact, with the faster I/O you may get more work done with
the 4 MIPS VAX than the Clipper, because the Clipper has memory wait
states that slow it down to maybe 3 MIPS.

Many 386 PCs give values of about only 200KB/sec which is not
a "SCREAM" unless you compare to the PC XT or something (which
is what manufacturers do to mislead you.)  This is with SCSI too!!!
One of the few exceptions is the Sun 386i which does a file
read at 800KB/sec & write at 400KB/sec (however it was
optimized for UNIX and does not run MSDOS too well). I have yet
to see a PC that can SCREAM like a VAX.

Just look at Byte. Almost EVERY benchmark they show for 1MB
files is around 200KB/s for these machines. Try that on a VAX
11/780 and you'll get at least 800KB/s w/RP06s or 07s.

Perhaps you could try this file copy on your machine and see
what you get? I have heard of a few machines other than SUN that
can do 750KB/sec. Use MSDOS to do this so there is no program
overhead. If you only have one disk, you can copy to the NULL
device(in which case don't divide B by 2).

>We are/have been replacing our dependency on mainframe computing
>by acquiring a network of dedicated, "high performance" (and relatively)
>low cost "PC's".  Some of these things are "workstations", but they all
>use the AT style PC buss, and take too bloody long to do the disk i/o.

Yup. And that's the way companies want it (& need to have it) If they
all started to sell PCs today with 3MB/s to each disk and memory with
those *non existent* PC profit margins, no one would buy their $1M
mainframes in which case they would go broke. Also, to build 3MB/s
to one disk on a PC would require expensive hardware which would raise
the cost to $50,000+ per unit - making it no longer "cost effective"
compared to the big iron.

>It is cheaper (more effective) for us to have an Intergraph Clipper
>chipset mounted in an AT-class PC take 8 hours to run our application than to
>have an IBM-3081K do it in 3 and then send us back the results.

If I remember, the 3081K (is it a 3081KX?) can give about 9 MIPS *per
job*, first shipped in early '82, and had an internal BW of about 70MB/s.
Your Clipper has more MIPS but no BW like 70MB/s. But the 70MB/s is
divided up to about 3MB/s per disk channel and user. Even this is vastly
faster than anything on the AT bus.

>If I could have this processor (88000) in a machine with a decently
>fast bus AND at a cost nearly the same, then it would be perfect.
>...The VME bus based box would have
>cost us THREE times the cost of the co-processor configuration!

Fast components simply cost more, and it takes more time to engineer
& test fast boards. Its the laws of physics.

But what *you* can do is at least make sure you are getting state
of the art for your buck. This means learning facts like the Amiga's
ability to do 900KB/s DMA disk I/O, and not permitting a 33MHz 386
to be sold with 200KB/s without writing nasty letters to the editor
of Infoworld, PC Week, etc. If you demand quality by making public the
facts, the manufacturers will be forced to at least do the best they
can. There are allot of ripoffs out there now because people have not
educated themselves sufficiently to know what not to buy. I wish
Infoworld and PC Magazine would include disk-to-disk copy benchmarks
in all their tests. (but then I have not written to them either!)

There is allegedly some kick-ass hardware out there in 386 AT land
via SCSI/ESDI controllers ON BOARD bypassing the AT BUS. Mylex?
ALR? I'm trying to find out before I buy.  ONE thing is for sure - you
can bet it won't come from IBM or DEC!  They are too busy saving the BW
for their *big iron*.

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (09/15/89)

In article <22130@cup.portal.com> cliffhanger@cup.portal.com (Cliff C Heyer)
writes:
>... Try that on a VAX 11/780 and you'll get at least 800KB/s w/RP06s or 07s.

Nah.

I cannot speak for RP07s, but we have two RP06 washtubs plugged into an
11/785.  You are lucky to get much over 500 KB/s, even doing full-track
reads; put a reasonable file system on top of that and the read rate will
drop, and the write rate will drop even more.  (It is hard to find
well-placed sectors on a full disk, and a 780's cpu does not help.)

In contrast, a CDC Wren V on an async SCSI connected to a Sun 3/175
will typically move 500 KB/s through a Unix file system, even under the
pokey old SunOS code.  (The raw rate is about 1 MB/s, competitive with
Eagles on an Emulex MASSBUS controller.)  On synchronous SCSI, disks
with real servo tracks and current densities will move 3 or 4 MB/s, if
the bus at the other end of the SCSI adapter can handle it (and if the
SCSI adapter itself can handle it).  Cut that in about half for a Unix
file system, unless the controller caches tracks (or, better, cylinders).

(See the papers by Carson and Vongsathorn on adaptive disk rearrangement
and other disk performance studies for some of the reasons for this.)

ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) (09/16/89)

In article <22130@cup.portal.com> cliffhanger@cup.portal.com (Cliff C Heyer) writes:
>Re: Gregory/88000 vs 3081.
>
>In article <mumble@wolves> ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
>
>>So what is a "workstation"?   I have been unable to
>>make any real distinction between a "workstation" and a "high-performance PC".
>>The distinction (if there is one) is purely marketing hype.

	Please allow me to correct this:  "I have been unable to find any
real distinction between SOME (so called) workstations and MOST (so called)
high-performance PC's."

	The point of my article was to second the need to scream at the
manufacturers in order to get a reasonably priced but fast buss.  Its too
bad that the EISA consortium seems to have buckled under and died.

>Ask yourself why a 1974 DECsystem-10 could support 40 users with
>only 1 MIPS of processor power, and today we have PCs that have 8 MIPS
	(or a 1979 PDP-11/60! with even less MIPS)
>but could NEVER handle 40 users with UNIX. The DECsystem-10 had a
>20MB/s bus I/O BW, and had 2MB/s I/O to each of several MASSBUS
>disk drives.
:
:
>A VAXstation 3500 CPU w/box costs about $11K, and then you can
>hook up all the same SCSI stuff as the IBM PC. The cost is the
>same as a souped up 386, except the VAX CPU board goes for
>$10K instead of $3K. So you pay a *bit* more for that 1.3MB/sec.
>In fact, with the faster I/O you may get more work done with
>the 4 MIPS VAX than the Clipper, because the Clipper has memory wait
>states that slow it down to maybe 3 MIPS.

	Actually, these co-processor implementations only  slow down for
the i/o - all universially (seem) to have an amount of their own dedicated
memory that is NOT accessed via the AT-style buss.  The Clipper board have
16MB of 1 wait dynamic RAM, which combined with the dual cache controllers
and large chunk prefetches, make the things scream in terms of computations,
but the I/O, being bottlenecked through the AT-buss and the host CPU, still
s**ks.  The 88K co-processors each have 20MB of similar DRAM.  In fact, it
is that we NEED the most memory available that boosts the costs of these
machines up into the price ranges mentioned.  With the recent stabilization
of the memory market, the newest machines we bought are actually a little
less expensive than machines bought 2 years or so ago.

>Perhaps you could try this file copy on your machine and see
>what you get?
	no need to benchmark, the disk i/o is directly limited by the
hosting AT-class machine.  What it can do in DOS, is the most that the
co-processor can ever get.  It may be a horrible way to handle the i/o,
but it does make the machine reasonably easy to design and get to market.
And that is what I am objecting to!
	Getting the 88K as a co-processor and placing it in a "high-
performance" PC host (e.g. 33MHz '386 with 11MHz buss) costs significantly
less than getting the 88K workstation from DG (for example).  We knew that
we could effectively use the 88K, but the budgets and things are such that
we can finagle a less expensive co-processor based machine several times,
whereas we cannot get the money together (all at once) to get the more
expensive workstation.

>>We are/have been replacing our dependency on mainframe computing
>>by acquiring a network of dedicated, "high performance" (and relatively)
>>low cost "PC's".  Some of these things are "workstations", but they all
>>use the AT style PC buss, and take too bloody long to do the disk i/o.
>
>Yup. And that's the way companies want it (& need to have it) If they
>all started to sell PCs today with 3MB/s to each disk and memory with
>those *non existent* PC profit margins, no one would buy their $1M
>mainframes in which case they would go broke.
	(hmm, there are enough people in the business that there
	must be some kind of profit to make.  Any capitalist
	knows that there has to be some kind of profit there to
	attract all the "fish". ;-)

>If I remember, the 3081K (is it a 3081KX?) can give about 9 MIPS *per
>job*, first shipped in early '82, and had an internal BW of about 70MB/s.
>Your Clipper has more MIPS but no BW like 70MB/s. But the 70MB/s is
>divided up to about 3MB/s per disk channel and user. Even this is vastly
>faster than anything on the AT bus.
	(I stipulate the advantages of "mainframe" io structure and
	channel architecture ;-)

>>If I could have this processor (88000) in a machine with a decently
>>fast bus AND at a cost nearly the same, then it would be perfect.
>>...The VME bus based box would have
>>cost us THREE times the cost of the co-processor configuration!
>
>Fast components simply cost more, and it takes more time to engineer
>& test fast boards. Its the laws of physics.

	But once they have been designed and tested, then they should
cost somewhat less to produce and price should ramp down after the
bus has been around for a while.  The real price-killer of the VME
system we were trying to configure was the ethernet controller!
NatSemi only supported one or two possible cheapernet talkers and the
cost of them was way out of sight.  Even being willing to do some of the
integration ourselves (by getting source and kernel hacking!) could not
bring the cost of the system down to the level that we were willing
to really consider.

>But what *you* can do is at least make sure you are getting state
>of the art for your buck. This means learning facts like the Amiga's
>ability to do 900KB/s DMA disk I/O, and not permitting a 33MHz 386
>to be sold with 200KB/s without writing nasty letters to the editor
>of Infoworld, PC Week, etc. If you demand quality by making public the
>facts, the manufacturers will be forced to at least do the best they
>can. There are allot of ripoffs out there now because people have not
>educated themselves sufficiently to know what not to buy. I wish
>Infoworld and PC Magazine would include disk-to-disk copy benchmarks
>in all their tests. (but then I have not written to them either!)
>
>There is allegedly some kick-ass hardware out there in 386 AT land
>via SCSI/ESDI controllers ON BOARD bypassing the AT BUS. Mylex?
>ALR? I'm trying to find out before I buy.  ONE thing is for sure - you
>can bet it won't come from IBM or DEC!  They are too busy saving the BW
>for their *big iron*.

	Yes, they (IBM and DEC - and all the rest, including DG) will
save the bandwidth and fast i/o for the *big iron* machines AND the
high-end "workstations".  This is just what the main problem is!  The
marketoids and management are so concerned in keeping the distinction
between certain types of machine, and they manipulate the prices in order
to do so, that they miss the boat.

	Actually, as we research the "next" machine we are going to get,
some "workstations" are actually getting a real look.  We are almost at the
point of deciding that we have enough compute power for the moment, and
we actually need a less number-cruncher of a machine in favor of a machine
that can do efficient DMA i/o and network management and maybe acting
as a file server.

	Sorry that this is so long, but this is of extreme interest
to me and some of my colleagues.
--
Gregory G. Woodbury
Sysop/owner Wolves Den UNIX BBS, Durham NC

rfg@ics.uci.edu (Ronald Guilmette) (09/18/89)

In article <1989Sep16.044013.429@wolves.uucp> ggw@wolves.UUCP (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
>In article <22130@cup.portal.com> cliffhanger@cup.portal.com (Cliff C Heyer) writes:
>>
>>>If I could have this processor (88000) in a machine with a decently
>>>fast bus AND at a cost nearly the same, then it would be perfect.
>>>...The VME bus based box would have
>>>cost us THREE times the cost of the co-processor configuration!

NOT TRUE!  Add up *all* of the costs of a PC + co-processor and then check
the price of an AViiON.

>>Fast components simply cost more, and it takes more time to engineer
>>& test fast boards. Its the laws of physics.
>
>	But once they have been designed and tested, then they should
>cost somewhat less to produce and price should ramp down after the
>bus has been around for a while.

Quite true.

I think that DG's AViiON workstations are going to make many people
reevaluate how they want to spend their $$$.  The low
end diskless node is < $8k.  This is probably CHEAPER than a similarly
equipped Compaq or whatever. They use the VME bus, I think.  Onboard
SCSI & ethernet also.

>>There is allegedly some kick-ass hardware out there in 386 AT land
>>via SCSI/ESDI controllers ON BOARD...

...and in workstation land!

>	Yes, they (IBM and DEC - and all the rest, including DG) will
>save the bandwidth and fast i/o for the *big iron* machines AND the
>high-end "workstations".  This is just what the main problem is!  The
>marketoids and management are so concerned in keeping the distinction
>between certain types of machine, and they manipulate the prices in order
>to do so, that they miss the boat.

That is probably a fair statement with respect to IBM and DEC, and is
certainly a well known technique used for many years by IBM, but I think
that it is very unfair to lump little DG in with those other massive
monsters.  One important thing to note.  Unlike IBM and DEC, DG *lost*
money last quarter.  That is a *very* sobering experience for any organization
and I'm sure that DG (as an organization) does *not* feel that they have
the luxury of being able to try to play these marketing games (at least
not right now).  They know that they are going to have to battle their way
into the workstation market and I believe that their very agressive price/
performance demonstrates this.

>	Sorry that this is so long, but this is of extreme interest
>to me and some of my colleagues.

You are not alone.

// rfg

friedl@vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) (09/18/89)

In article <1989Sep18.022722.16749@paris.ics.uci.edu>, rfg@ics.uci.edu (Ronald Guilmette) writes:

> Add up *all* of the costs of a PC + co-processor and then check
> the price of an AViiON.

For what it's worth, the AViiON is really an impressive box.  We
used to have a real ho-hum attitude to DG, but this new box is a
real change for them.  We get one in here in a month or two and
are really hyped about it.

     Steve

P.S. - I don't speak for V-Systems, no connection with DG, etc.

--
Stephen J. Friedl / V-Systems, Inc.  /  Santa Ana, CA  / +1 714 545 6442
3B2-kind-of-guy   / {attmail uunet}!vsi!{bang!}friedl  /  friedl@vsi.com

"This posting is a word to the wise, but you can read it too" - me

rec@dg.dg.com (Robert Cousins) (10/02/89)

In article <1989Sep16.044013.429@wolves.uucp> ggw@wolves.UUCP (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
>	Getting the 88K as a co-processor and placing it in a "high-
>performance" PC host (e.g. 33MHz '386 with 11MHz buss) costs significantly
>less than getting the 88K workstation from DG (for example).  We knew that

Actually, this is not the case.  In any apples to apples comparison you
will see not only that an equivalently configured machine DG machine WITHOUT
the PC costs less.  Furthermore, there is a performance penalty incurred when
the PC is required to perform I/O operations (especially high bandwidth ones
such as graphics).

>we could effectively use the 88K, but the budgets and things are such that
>we can finagle a less expensive co-processor based machine several times,
>whereas we cannot get the money together (all at once) to get the more
>expensive workstation.

>	Yes, they (IBM and DEC - and all the rest, including DG) will
>save the bandwidth and fast i/o for the *big iron* machines AND the
>high-end "workstations".  This is just what the main problem is!  The

If you decide that $8000 is high end, then you are right, but frankly,
I think your facts need to double checked.  There are currently only 4
DG 88k workstations which all have approximately the same I/O bandwidth.
While I will admit that it is quite fast, the I/O performance of the
low end is almost the same as the high end.  The major difference is in
CPU speed.

>marketoids and management are so concerned in keeping the distinction
>between certain types of machine, and they manipulate the prices in order
>to do so, that they miss the boat.

>	Actually, as we research the "next" machine we are going to get,
>some "workstations" are actually getting a real look.  We are almost at the
>point of deciding that we have enough compute power for the moment, and
>we actually need a less number-cruncher of a machine in favor of a machine
>that can do efficient DMA i/o and network management and maybe acting
>as a file server.

See my paper in the September Computer Architecture News on this very
subject.  DMA is a must for performance at any level whenever you have
more than one task running at a time.

>	Sorry that this is so long, but this is of extreme interest
>to me and some of my colleagues.
>--
>Gregory G. Woodbury
>Sysop/owner Wolves Den UNIX BBS, Durham NC
>UUCP: ...dukcds!wolves!ggw   ...dukeac!wolves!ggw           [use the maps!]
>Domain: ggw@cds.duke.edu  ggw@ac.duke.edu  ggw%wolves@ac.duke.edu
>Phone: +1 919 493 1998 (Home)  +1 919 684 6126 (Work)

Robert Cousins
Dept Mgr, Workstation Dev't
Data General Corp

Speaking for myself alone.