[comp.arch] MIDI on the PC

silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Silverman) (10/04/89)

You should probably know that you can't use the 8250 to talk to MIDI easily.
MIDI is a current loop, not RS-232 so without hardware modification you
can't use standard serial ports to talk to MIDI.  Also MIDI signals are
opto-isolated from the UART, so grit your teeth and buy a MIDI controller
from Roland or Voyetra.

+-----------------------+-----------------------------------------+
| Andy Silverman        | Internet:   silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu |
| "All stressed out and | Compu$erve: 72261,531                   |
|  nobody to choke."    |                                         |
+-----------------------+-----------------------------------------+

In article <15046@netnews.upenn.edu>, silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Silverman) writes:
> You should probably know that you can't use the 8250 to talk to MIDI easily.

Yes, but.

> MIDI is a current loop, not RS-232 so without hardware modification you
> can't use standard serial ports to talk to MIDI.  Also MIDI signals are
> opto-isolated from the UART,

There are many good reasons for buying a MIDI card, but electrical
compatibility isn't one of them. Gadgets that convert RS232 levels to
MIDI are available for the Amiga, and cost $50 or so. You get a midi in,
midi out, and at least one midi thru.

The big problem with doing MIDI from a regular IBM serial port would
seem to be CPU. The machine just doesn't have the guts for it. Maybe
with a smart serial card. And for your $$$ a real MIDI card would be
better.
--
Peter da Silva, *NIX support guy @ Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
Biz: peter@ficc.uu.net, +1 713 274 5180. Fun: peter@sugar.hackercorp.com. `-_-'

bmarsh@cod.NOSC.MIL (William C. Marsh) (10/06/89)

In article <6403@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <15046@netnews.upenn.edu>, silver@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Andy Silverman) writes:
>> You should probably know that you can't use the 8250 to talk to MIDI easily.
>
>Yes, but.
>
>> MIDI is a current loop, not RS-232 so without hardware modification you
>
>There are many good reasons for buying a MIDI card, but electrical
>compatibility isn't one of them.
>
>The big problem with doing MIDI from a regular IBM serial port would
>seem to be CPU. The machine just doesn't have the guts for it. Maybe
>with a smart serial card. And for your $$$ a real MIDI card would be
>better.
>--

Actually, the main problem with doing MIDI on the PC seems to be a lack
of a 'good' timer, i.e., something with resolution better than 18.2 times
per second.  I have software which uses a really simple MIDI interface,
which has just a serial port *and* another timer chip, and it can do
quite reasonably, even on a non-turbo XT!

A major (for me) reason for buying a Roland interface is because everyone
and their brother writes software for that interface, and only one person
(you ;-) will write software for the inexpensive interface.

(BTW, I think there is a problem getting the baud rate correct for the MIDI
interface with normal PC serial ports, as it is NOT 38,400, but 31,250.)

Bill

--------

Bill Marsh, Naval Ocean Systems Center, San Diego, CA
{arpa,mil}net: bmarsh@cod.nosc.mil
uucp: {ihnp4,akgua,decvax,dcdwest,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!nosc!bmarsh

"If everything seems to be coming your way, you're probably in the wrong lane."

dregis@pldote.intel.com (~Dave Regis) (10/06/89)

> A major (for me) reason for buying a Roland interface is because everyone
> and their brother writes software for that interface, and only one person
> (you ;-) will write software for the inexpensive interface.

Approximately how much does the Roland MIDI interface cost?  I've got
a Yamaha TX81Z, and my Mac/Midi set up is going to my sister and her
family; I would like to hang on to my tone generator but see no reason
to unless there is reasonably priced hardware and software for the PC.

Dave Regis