[comp.arch] Asynchronous cpu

yodaiken@freal.cs.umass.edu (victor yodaiken) (10/04/89)

In the June 89 SIGARCH there's an article by Martin, Burns and a couple
of other folks from CALTECH on using the self-timed (asynchronous)
circuits that they've been pushing at CALTECH to build a processor.
The paper and chip look interesting, but there's a lack of details.
Any comments on this work out there? Any comments on self-timed
circuits themselves?

haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU (Jim Haynes) (10/05/89)

In article <5241@dime.cs.umass.edu> yodaiken@freal.cs.umass.edu (victor yodaiken) writes:
>In the June 89 SIGARCH there's an article by Martin, Burns and a couple
I haven't seen that article, but see Ivan Sutherland's Turing Award Lecture
printed in a recent issue of CACM.

haynes@ucscc.ucsc.edu
haynes@ucscc.bitnet
..ucbvax!ucscc!haynes

"Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an Art."
        Charles McCabe, San Francisco Chronicle

paul@taniwha.UUCP (Paul Campbell) (10/05/89)

In article <5241@dime.cs.umass.edu> yodaiken@freal.cs.umass.edu (victor yodaiken) writes:
>In the June 89 SIGARCH there's an article by Martin, Burns and a couple
>of other folks from CALTECH on using the self-timed (asynchronous)
>circuits that they've been pushing at CALTECH to build a processor.
>The paper and chip look interesting, but there's a lack of details.

I liked the bit when they put it in liquid nitrogen and got about
twice as many MIPS out of it (being self-timed it has no clocks and
only depends on internal delays to slow it down). Of course self-timed
logic takes up more space ....

>Any comments on this work out there? Any comments on self-timed
>circuits themselves?

Read this year's Turing Address in CACM a few months back.

	Paul

--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: D3213
"Free Market": n. (colloq.) a primitive fertility goddess worshipped by an

johng@prism.cs.orst.edu (John A. Gregor) (10/05/89)

In article <5241@dime.cs.umass.edu> yodaiken@freal.cs.umass.edu (victor yodaiken) writes:
>In the June 89 SIGARCH there's an article by Martin, Burns and a couple
>of other folks from CALTECH on using the self-timed (asynchronous)
>circuits that they've been pushing at CALTECH to build a processor.

Perfect timing!

For my EE 478 (Computer Architecture) class we have to do a report and
a presentation.  I'm looking at doing mine on asynchronous logic
design.  Does anyone out there have some good references?  Any personal
experiences, observations, warnings, anecdotes, etc. you wish to
share?  Also, what I really need are some pointers to actual machines
or subsystems that have been implemented in asynchronous logic.

All information will be greatly appreciated.  I'll summarize what I get
if there is interest.

John Gregor                           423 Cauthorn Hall
johng@cloud.ATS.ORST.EDU              Oregon State University
(503) 737-8426                        Corvallis, OR  97331

lindsay@MATHOM.GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) (10/05/89)

In article <9320@saturn.ucsc.edu> haynes@ucscc.UCSC.EDU.UUCP
	(Jim Haynes) writes:
>see Ivan Sutherland's Turing Award Lecture
>printed in a recent issue of CACM.

Specifically, it's

"Micropipelines"
Turing Award Lecture
Ivan E. Sutherland
Communications of the ACM, June 1989 (32, 6, 720-738)

Easy to find, it's just before the killer Literate Programming
column.

Also, I saw a book by Dave Dill in the latest blurb from MIT Press.

My main reactions to "Micropipelines" were:
1) Sounds promising.
2) Isn't transition signalling noise-susceptible?

The Sigarch article is

"The First Asynchronous Microprocessor: The Test Results"
Martin, Burns, Lee, Borkovic, Hazewindus
Computer Architecture News, June 1989 (17, 4, 95-110)

3) Fast! Smaller than I expected, too.
4) Neato design method.
5) One reason that asynchronous systems fell into disfavor, was that
   they were often slightly wrong. They would have low-probability
   failure modes. Supposedly, the new methods give circuits which are
   guaranteed correct. So, I'm a bit worried by the line on P.96:
   "We cannot explain the phenomena yet."
6) A famous reason for synchronous systems, is that one can make all
   of the electrical noise happen at once, and arrange that no one is
   listening then. Self-timed circuits can't do this: what do they do
   instead?
7) Is it really necessary to independently self-time each and every
   line in a bus?
--
Don		D.C.Lindsay 	Carnegie Mellon Computer Science

baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) (10/06/89)

[]
>In article  johng@cloud.ATS.ORST.EDU (John A. Gregor) writes:
>For my EE 478 (Computer Architecture) class we have to do a report and
>a presentation.  I'm looking at doing mine on asynchronous logic
>design.  Does anyone out there have some good references?  Any personal
>experiences, observations, warnings, anecdotes, etc. you wish to
>share?  Also, what I really need are some pointers to actual machines
>or subsystems that have been implemented in asynchronous logic.

The only asynchronous machine that I'm aware of (outside of the recent
Caltech micro) is the Illiac II. There are probably research reports still
available.

--
		  baum@apple.com		(408)974-3385
{decwrl,hplabs}!amdahl!apple!baum

root@cca.ucsf.edu (Systems Staff) (10/06/89)

In article <35307@apple.Apple.COM>, baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) writes:

> The only asynchronous machine that I'm aware of (outside of the recent
> Caltech micro) is the Illiac II. There are probably research reports still
> available.

Back around 1959-61 there were the Philco machines that used asynchronous
logic. I used a model 209 at the Western Development Laboratory and
they had a faster machine out called the 211. They were working on
a new one called the 212 which got running just about the time Ford
took them over. It was a very fast machine for its time but Ford
had decided in advance that they were going to scrap the computer
division so it went down the tubes.

There is an amusing anecdote about the first 212 installed. It was
scheduled in advance for the batch processing chores it was to do
for a single shift operation.

Surprise, it finished all the scheduled work by lunch time and
everybody took the afternoon off.

It's the only case I know of where a new machine came in exceeding
the predicted performance level by such a substantial factor.

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos@cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos@ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

I hear nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- and they're
working on death.

#include <disclaimer.std>