[comp.arch] Bad Tidings?

rod@venera.isi.edu (Rodney Doyle Van Meter III) (10/04/89)

Monday was a bad day for many Americans in the computer business.

Zenith agreed to sell its computer busniess to Groupe Bull, a leading
French hi-tech company, in a deal worth $635 million. No word on how
the computer arm itself would be affected, though one person was
quoted as saying Zenith made the right move, and in six months
probably would not have been able to sell the computer business at
all.

Cray Research, IBM, and Motorola all announced work force cutbacks.
Cray's cutbacks were layoffs of about 400 people (7% of their total
workforce), all at its Wisconsin manufacturing plant, because of
slowing sales.

Motorola is reducing its workforce by about 2.4%, or 2,500, mostly
from its U.S.-based communications and semiconductor products
operations. Motorola hopes the reduction can be achieved through
voluntary severance and attrition, though some layoffs may be
necessary.

IBM confirmed that it has offered voluntary severance at four
locations, and expects 600 to 1,000 workers to accept. It's probably
not their last layoff, though it's the third in recent years.

Honeywell is selling its 50% stake in HNSX Supercomputers Inc. to its
joint venture partner, NEC Corp. The company has made only a few
sales, none to U.S. buyers, where pressure to buy American
supercomputers is high.

How's that for a good day?

			--Rod

mac@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU (Alex Colvin) (10/04/89)

(not exactly an architecture issue, but...)

what is the relation of Machines Bull to Honeywell?  Who makes the Honeywell
mainframe line (635...DPS/8) now? NEC? GE?  Did Multics die the real death?
...and how about them MIPs?

In article <9984@venera.isi.edu>, rod@venera.isi.edu (Rodney Doyle Van Meter III) writes:

|  IBM confirmed that it has offered voluntary severance at four
|  locations, and expects 600 to 1,000 workers to accept. It's probably
|  not their last layoff, though it's the third in recent years.

  There were some additional details in one of the papers. The incentive
is 1 week pay for every six months service. And it said the offer was
not being made to engineers or programmers. Does that mean they are not
being layed off or that they have no choice and get no fancy severance
package?
that the world is flat!" - anon

duncan@dduck.ctt.bellcore.com (Scott Duncan) (10/05/89)

In article <9984@venera.isi.edu> rod@venera.isi.edu (Rodney Doyle Van Meter III) writes:

>Monday was a bad day for many Americans in the computer business.
>
>Zenith

>Cray Research, IBM, and Motorola all announced work force cutbacks.

>Honeywell is selling its 50% stake in HNSX Supercomputers Inc. to its

I had heard about the IBM and Motorola announcements, but not Zenith, Cray,
and Honeywell.

While watching the local P{hiladelphia area news, I saw an announcement of
layoffs by Unisys from some Southeastern Pennsylvania locations as well as
relocation of people from the same area to Iowa.

Speaking only for myself, of course, I am...
Scott P. Duncan (duncan@ctt.bellcore.com OR ...!bellcore!ctt!duncan)
                (Bellcore, 444 Hoes Lane  RRC 1H-210, Piscataway, NJ  08854)
                (201-699-3910 (w)   609-737-2945 (h))

philf@xymox.metaphor.com (Phil Fernandez) (10/07/89)

In article <422@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU> mac@uvacs.cs.Virginia.EDU (Alex Colvin) writes:
>what is the relation of Machines Bull to Honeywell?  Who makes the Honeywell
>mainframe line (635...DPS/8) now? NEC? GE?  Did Multics die the real death?
>...and how about them MIPs?

I'm embarassed I know this..I used to do GCOS systems programming for
a living.

The "Honeywell" mainframes are now made by a company owned
approximately 1/3 by Groupe Bull of France, 1/3 by NEC, and 1/3 by
Honeywell.  The DoD required the 1/3 Honeywell (US company) ownership
since DoD is the main consumer of Honeywell iron.  The company
operates under the Bull name.  The current model line is the DPS-90,
designed by NEC I think.

pmf

| Phil Fernandez              |             philf@metaphor.com               |
|                             |     ...!{apple|decwrl}!metaphor!philf        |
| Metaphor Computer Systems   |"Does the body rule the mind, or does the mind|
| Mountain View, CA           | rule the body?  I dunno..." - Morrissey      |