[comp.arch] Impossible DRAMs

mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) (10/19/89)

In article <1T9NpG#464lr4=eric@snark.uu.net> eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>In <1989Oct17.154651.16073@utzoo.uucp> Henry Spencer wrote:
>> (One of the gems of my collection is an unintentionally-hilarious paper
>> from an IEEE conference proceedings that proves, in some detail, that it
>> is impossible to build 64Kb DRAMs with optical lithography.)
>
>O.K., now please tell us which limiting assumption went wrong and why.

I don't have that one, but I do have one that sez you can't build a
1Mbit DRAM the same way you built a 64K.  (Tell that to Toshiba and
NEC who did exactly that!)  In particular they predict the death of
the planar-capacitor memcell:

	1984 Digest of Technical Papers, International Solid-State
	Circuits Conference (ISSCC), pp. 160-161, "Physical Limits
	of VLSI DRAMs"

Assumptions in the paper that didn't prove out in commercial devices

1.  For a memory with 2^n bits, there will be no more than 2^(n/2)
    sense amplifiers, i.e. no memory block sub-partitioning.

2.  Sense amplifier offset voltage is 20mV.

3.  Cell layout will be 6*f*f units of area, where f== minimum featuresize

4.  There will be no improvement in processing and/or packaging
    technology which lowers the flux rate of alpha particles (causing
    soft errors).  Thus polyimide die coatings and low-alpha plastic
    mold compounds were not predicted (but did, in real life, happen).

(of course these assumptions weren't explicitly called out in the paper
 in a paragraph labelled "Assumptions"; you have to extract them by
 reading the "what's possible" material and deducing why they said what
 they said.)
--
 -- Mark Johnson
 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94086