[comp.arch] 1Meg DRAM supply voltage

rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Richard Champeaux) (10/17/89)

I remember a while ago when they were developing 1 Meg DRAMS, they said
that they had to be run off of 3.3v supplies to reduce power dissapation.
Looking in a TI databook, I notice that TI's 1 Meg DRAMS (TMS4C1024) use
a 5v supply and have TTL compatable inputs/outputs.  My guess is that they
run the I/O buffers off of the 5v supply and have a 3.3v regulator inside
for the rest of the chip.  My question is, are all 1 Meg DRAMS like this?

Thanks for any help.
Rich Champeaux  (rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu)

In article <6797@hubcap.clemson.edu> rchampe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Richard Champeaux) writes:
>I remember a while ago when they were developing 1 Meg DRAMS, they said
>that they had to be run off of 3.3v supplies to reduce power dissapation...

This is one of these "gonna have to make big changes real soon now" claims
that keeps running around, and keeps getting shot down when people discover
that it's cost-effective to work *really hard* to avoid the pain of making
such changes.  Other such claims are "gonna have to drop silicon and go to
gallium arsenide real soon now", "gonna have to go to highly-parallel
machines to get any further speed increase real soon now", and "gonna have
to drop optical lithography and go to electron beams or X-rays real soon now".
(One of the gems of my collection is an unintentionally-hilarious paper
from an IEEE conference proceedings that proves, in some detail, that it
is impossible to build 64Kb DRAMs with optical lithography.)

"Gonna have to go to 3.3V for the next generation of memories" has been
around for fifteen years or so.
--
A bit of tolerance is worth a  |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
megabyte of flaming.           | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) (10/19/89)

In <1989Oct17.154651.16073@utzoo.uucp> Henry Spencer wrote:
>                Other such claims are "gonna have to drop silicon and go to
> gallium arsenide real soon now", "gonna have to go to highly-parallel
> machines to get any further speed increase real soon now",

Don't forget "gonna have to go to exotic %s technology that no one can afford
to manufacture onto commodity boards real soon now", where %s can read
"interconnect", "heat dissipation", or "reduced-RF-emission".

There are situations in prognosticating technology when blissful ignorance
and an eye on the trend curves yields better predictions than `expert'
opinion with all its preconceptions. If I really knew electronic engineering
I'm sure I'd think these were insuperable problems for the next generation.

As it is...well, we've heard all these doleful dirges before.
--
      Eric S. Raymond = eric@snark.uu.net    (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)

eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) (10/19/89)

In <1989Oct17.154651.16073@utzoo.uucp> Henry Spencer wrote:
> (One of the gems of my collection is an unintentionally-hilarious paper
> from an IEEE conference proceedings that proves, in some detail, that it
> is impossible to build 64Kb DRAMs with optical lithography.)

O.K., now please tell us which limiting assumption went wrong and why.
--

In article <1T9NpG#464lr4=eric@snark.uu.net> eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>> (One of the gems of my collection is an unintentionally-hilarious paper
>> from an IEEE conference proceedings that proves, in some detail, that it
>> is impossible to build 64Kb DRAMs with optical lithography.)
>
>O.K., now please tell us which limiting assumption went wrong and why.

Hey, I'm a systems programmer, not a chip designer -- *I* don't know! :-)

If enough people are interested, I can dig out the paper and post the gist
of the argument, so the real chippies :-) can pick holes in it.