[comp.arch] Microsoft and faster machines

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (10/17/89)

(I'd get in trouble if I offered this opinion on my own, but I guess if it's
attributed to Bill Gates, he can probably say what he wants to say about
Microsoft.  It might be said of many others, of course.:-)

In _EE_Times_, 16 October 1989, Intel VP David House says:  "Bill Gates
[software maker Microsoft's chairman] says no matter how much more power we
can supply, he'll develop some really exciting software that will bring the
machine to its knees."

bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) (10/18/89)

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
> In _EE_Times_, 16 October 1989, Intel VP David House says:  "Bill Gates
> [software maker Microsoft's chairman] says no matter how much more power we
> can supply, he'll develop some really exciting software that will bring the
> machine to its knees."

Well, I'll at least believe that he could develop some software that would
bring the machine to it's knees...

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (10/20/89)

/* Written  9:49 pm  Oct 16, 1989 by rcd@ico.isc.com in p.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.arch */
> In _EE_Times_, 16 October 1989, Intel VP David House says:  "Bill Gates
> [software maker Microsoft's chairman] says no matter how much more power we
> can supply, he'll develop some really exciting software that will bring the
> machine to its knees."
/* End of text from p.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.arch */

Is this his excuse for never developing exciting software?

"no matter how much more power we can supply, he'll need more to