[comp.arch] PC Industry

rpeglar@csinc.UUCP (Rob Peglar x615) (10/20/89)

In article <76700077@p.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

(stuff about Mac II's deleted)

> To keep the PC industry thriving we must produce many more technicians
> and design engineers, to use high-MIPS CPUs in design optimization and
> simulation.  There is a big possibility that the U.S.  educational
> system will let us down.  Science and Engineering are unpopular
> subjects; everyone wants to be a business major.
>
> So I'm again predicting doom for the PC industry, but this time for
> different reasons.

Well, there are lots of possible end-game scenarios for the PC industry.
Here's a few for consumption.

1)  The PC industry becomes dominated by non-US manufacturers, since
in the US "everyone wants to be a business major".

	This wouldn't be so bad.  In consumer electronics, for
	example, the same has occurred over about a generation
	and has led to the social (US) dilemna between consumer
	satisfaction and low prices vs. lost jobs and displaced
	workers/families.  However, I would suspect the people
	who used to assemble TV's for the old US mfr's, for the
	most part, have found other suitable work.  The big-iron
	(i.e. mainframe) industry in the US is truly in the
	end-game right now; just look around for a glimpse of
	history as it occurs.

2)  US Government intervention to protect/stabilize/support the PC
industry.  Don't laugh, the feds have done it in a number of other
industries, the recent Republican administrations notwithstanding.

3)  US/State government intervention in the form of legislation to
"change the minds of all those people who want to be business majors".
The high schoolers nowadays are media-saturated with big dollars being
made by the financial/banking community, although that trend, thankfully,
is slowing.  So it is unrealistic to believe they want to be engineers
and scientists, given our money-oriented society.

	Solutions range from laws to effectively prevent the finance
	and (investment) banking people to charge huge fees; regulate
	takeovers; etc.etc.etc. to direct subsidies for eng./science
	students.  Lots of other possibilities.  The point here is
	that the US as a society must (re-)place value on science
	and engineering, instead of placing value (read: incredible
	zillions of dollars for) facilitating the movement and
	increasing velocity of currency.

Well, that's enough.  Sorry to offend you "pure" comp.arch-ers out there,
as this really isn't suitable (I know).  But, many of us are deeply
involved in the "PC" industry, either directly or indirectly, so I though
it was worth commenting on.  If you feel otherwise, direct it to
/dev/null.  I already know.

Rob

Rob Peglar	Control Systems, Inc.	2675 Patton Rd., St. Paul MN 55113

...uunet!csinc!rpeglar		612-631-7800

The posting above does not necessarily represent the policies of my employer.