[comp.arch] PC hardware

scott@bbxsda.UUCP (Scott Amspoker) (10/27/89)

In article <1419@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>[uses XT's and AT's running PC/IX]
>
>  Not that I'd ever go back, but the hardware is capable of more than
>MS-DOS will ever get out of it.

I glad somebody finally said that.  I recently got a 286 portable as my
home computer.  Normally, I work with UNIX/XENIX on larger systems but
now I was facing MS-DOS for my own personal projects.  The first thing
I did was get all the hardware manuals for the various controllers/
adapters/timers/interrupt-arbitrators in the box.  I was plesantly surprised
at all the power that MS-DOS blatantly ignores.  Sure, it's not a CRAY,
but I have a new respect for the PC class hardware.

--
Scott Amspoker
Basis International, Albuquerque, NM