[comp.arch] SCSI drive performance

pan@propress.com (Philip A. Naecker) (11/18/89)

In article <35985@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh
LaMaster) writes:

> 1) Why are SCSI disk subsystems *so* slow.  On sequential reads, ~300 KB/sec.
> is typical.  The filesystems and all hardware interfaces should be able to
> easily sustain 3X as much on sequential reads of large, unfragmented files.
> (Which SCSI disk subsystems you ask?  I would rather turn it around, and say,
> are there any exceptions to the above sweeping generalization?  :-)  I use
> SMD disks as a baseline...)

Please define your terms more precisely.  I think what you mean for "slow" is
"have such low transfer rates".  This is not always the meaning of "slow".  In
particular, in many general computing (timesharing, software development,
workstations, etc.) or OLTP environments, I would submit that access time (both
seek and rotational latency) is much more important than transfer rate.

For example, I refer you to the October issue of DEC Professional Magazine,
which has the third part in an excellent series by Ken Bates of DEC, showing
that most VMS timesharing IO's are quite small and involve no seeking at all.
You might also try the latest issue of Computing Systems, a journal from
USENIX, which has an excellent article on the subject of UNIX disk IO and
includes some relevant statistics.

> 5) (Not really a comp.arch question, but related to the above - aside:
> Does anyone make synchronous SCSI disks which really perform?)

If transfer rate is what you seek, you should take a look at disk arrays.
There are many variants to such devices, but most will gang several disks into
a single large logical volume that is rotationally synchronized.  The effect is
to make many more heads active reading data at a time, resulting in much higher
transfer rates.  Striping drivers are a software solution that provides similar
results.

There are now several manufacturers of these wonderful devices.  Try, for
instance, EXSYS and Micro Technology - there are others, too.

Philip A. Naecker                            Consulting Software Engineer
Internet: pan@propress.com                   Suite 101
          uunet!prowest!pan                  1010 East Union Street
Voice:    +1 818 577 4820                    Pasadena, CA  91106-1756
FAX:      +1 818 577 0073                    Also: Technology Editor
                                                   DEC Professional Magazine