[comp.arch] NEED INFORMATION on GaAs

4231_5107@uwovax.uwo.ca (12/01/89)

	I would greatly appreciate any information on GaAs. References to
'good' source material concerning GaAs technology are more scarce than I had
anticipated. I am doing a research paper on the subject, as well as similar
technologies, and would like to know some references.

	Any material concerning recent developments in GaAs, as well as
background information on design, would be especially helpful.

			Thanks in advance,

						DJ
					   -=*)<-->(*=-

mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) (12/01/89)

In article <4432.25756fb3@uwovax.uwo.ca> 4231_5107@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:

>	Any material concerning recent developments in GaAs, as well as
>background information on design, would be especially helpful.

*The* standard reference paper is by Raytheon and MIT; it's the basis
of practically all commercially available GaAs (and InP) MESFET
performance modeling:

   H. Statz et al., IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. ED-34,
   No. 2 (Feb 1987), pp. 160-169.

Of course some folks have their own, company-developed and highly
proprietary, data.  (Which they aren't about to publish.)

Since you're doing some literature search, have a look at the
low-field bulk mobility of electrons and of holes in silicon, GaAs,
InP, and PbTe.  Then draw a conclusion: why did all the Lead
Telluride researchers switch over to In/Ga/As/P in the 70's?
--
 -- Mark Johnson
 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

hui@joplin.mpr.ca (Michael Hui) (12/01/89)

In article <4432.25756fb3@uwovax.uwo.ca> 4231_5107@uwovax.uwo.ca writes:

>	I would greatly appreciate any information on GaAs.

The magazine VLSI Systems Design issues August and September 1988.
The magazine High Performance Systems issue February 1989.

The two magazines are actually the same. The name changed in January
1989.