[comp.arch] Politics and Architectures

tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) (11/30/89)

In article <1989Nov27.144016.23181@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> jdd@db.toronto.edu (John DiMarco) writes:
 A centralized authority -- if it is responsive to the needs of its users --
 has the capability to offer better facilities and support at a lower price.
 Just consider some of the relevant issues:
 	Resource duplication: ...
 	Maximum single-point usage: ...
 	Security: ...
 	Expertise: ...
 	Emergencies: ...
 	Backups: ...
 	Complexity: ...
 	Downtime: ...
 	Maintenance: ...
 	Compatibility: ...

Yeah, but politics wins, just like Barry says.  Recently in Dig. Review, there
was a big fluff-article about client-server computing.  No technical info to
speak of, but expert after expert brought up this issue of the intense
desire of users to be out from under the centralized org.  To quote almost
verbatim: "Joe User will no longer tolerate interference from a bunch of
people whose job it is to keep things from getting done".

You might argue that one reason that MIS groups get such a bad rap is that
they have historically been purveyors of bad technology, i.e. IBM.  But I
think the big reason is that they suffer from the same timesharing problems
that the big machines do.  There are never enough of them to go around, so
the users end up waiting and pissed off.  Simply put, there are very few
groups in the world that have the organizational and technical skills to
keep a variety of complex OSes and network facilities running, while
simultaneously dealing politely with the ignorant, all while seriously
overworked.  It can be done, but it's hard.

lindsay@MATHOM.GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) (11/30/89)

The Great Secret behind the success of minicomputers (and now
microcomputers), is the discretionary spending limit.

Many people are allowed to authorize purchases that are below a
certain limit. Above that, the purchase must be first reported up
through official channels for review.  So, back in the minicomputer
days, DEC found a lot of (say) $15,000 upgrades purchased as two
$8,000 upgrades, simply because the customer's discretionary limit
was $9,999. And some PDP's snuck in as "programmed data processors"
(no kidding).

Many early microsystems were semiworthless toys, incapable of solving
the purchaser's problem. However, the total purchase was below just
about everyone's discretionary spending limits. Even if management
had forbidden computer purchases, the things snuck in as "office
equipment" or "word processors".

This is where today's industry came from. Believe it.
--
Don		D.C.Lindsay 	Carnegie Mellon Computer Science

linimon@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (Mark Linimon) (12/01/89)

In article <18794@watdragon.waterloo.edu> tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) writes:
>I think the big reason [that MIS groups get such a bad rap]
>is that they suffer from the same timesharing problems
>that the big machines do.  There are never enough of them to go around, so
>the users end up waiting and pissed off.  Simply put, there are very few
>groups in the world that have the organizational and technical skills to
>keep a variety of complex OSes and network facilities running, while
>simultaneously dealing politely with the ignorant, all while seriously
>overworked.  It can be done, but it's hard.

And it's rare than organizations understand that these things Need To
Be Done and Take Time.  So they buy a number of *nix workstations, that
clearly don't need any time spent on maintenance or system administration :-),
and give them to end-users who don't always understand some of the issues
involved.  Training?  What's that?  We bought the whole manual set...

Well, I didn't mean for this to come out as a flame, but I think it's
a relatively common occurrence.  There is administration cost incurred
on any style of computing; you can pay for it centrally or distributed, and
up-front or in lost time when you find out no one ever understood how to do
backups...

It's just a matter of educating everyone, management and technical folks
alike, and I don't have any generic answer.

Note; this has strayed sufficiently far from architecture that I have
directed followups to comp.misc.

Mark Linimon
linimon@attctc

mike@ists.ists.ca (Mike Clarkson) (12/07/89)

>From: lindsay@MATHOM.GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay)

> The Great Secret behind the success of minicomputers (and now
> microcomputers), is the discretionary spending limit.
>
> Many people are allowed to authorize purchases that are below a
> certain limit. Above that, the purchase must be first reported up
> through official channels for review.  So, back in the minicomputer
> days, DEC found a lot of (say) $15,000 upgrades purchased as two
> $8,000 upgrades, simply because the customer's discretionary limit
> was $9,999. And some PDP's snuck in as "programmed data processors"
> (no kidding).

This is so true.  Where I worked previously, we bought one of the first
Vax 11/780's in Canada by buying a "Level 3 Data Extrapolator" from a
consenting third party.  All to get around the reigning MIS dept.

> Many early microsystems were semiworthless toys, incapable of solving
> the purchaser's problem. However, the total purchase was below just
> about everyone's discretionary spending limits. Even if management
> had forbidden computer purchases, the things snuck in as "office
> equipment" or "word processors".

We even snuck our word-processors in that way too.  There was a central
typing pool that by decree we were supposed to use.  The average turn
around from the pool was 4-5 days.  We were allowed to have secretaries,
and you guessed it, "Level 1 Data Extrapolators", and all of a sudden we
had 3 hour turn around.  Which meant we could bury "them" in paper faster
than they could bury us.  Sort of like the advent of the Gattling gun.

> This is where today's industry came from. Believe it.

It's still there.

--
Don		D.C.Lindsay 	Carnegie Mellon Computer Science

--
Mike Clarkson					mike@ists.ists.ca
Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science	uunet!attcan!ists!mike