[comp.arch] GaAs considered dead , indium phosphide, rod logic?

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (12/01/89)

In article <1Tcfjq#9jMTbv=eric@snark.uu.net>, eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
: If you're the gambling type, bet your bux on ballistic-transistor technology
: or indium phosphide or even nanotechnology rod logic. But forget GaAs. It is
: almost certainly doomed to remain a niche technology funded by organizations
: that don't care how much of your money they spend for their fun.

Hm, indium phosphide I once heard that mentioned by Cray (yes that
Cray), but I never heard of nanotechnology rod logic.  Is it real
or is it a joke of some kind?  Does anyone know of anyone working
with indium phosphide at least?

:       Eric S. Raymond = eric@snark.uu.net    (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)

--
Kenneth Ng: Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp !andromeda!argus!ken *** NOT ken@bellcore.uucp ***

dawill@hubcap.clemson.edu (david williams) (12/01/89)

In article <1376@argus.UUCP>, ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) writes:
> In article <1Tcfjq#9jMTbv=eric@snark.uu.net>, eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
> : If you're the gambling type, bet your bux on ballistic-transistor technology
> : or indium phosphide or even nanotechnology rod logic. But forget GaAs. It is
>
> Hm, indium phosphide I once heard that mentioned by Cray (yes that
> Cray), but I never heard of nanotechnology rod logic.  Is it real
> or is it a joke of some kind?  Does anyone know of anyone working
> with indium phosphide at least?

   As much as any nanotechnology is "real", nanotech rod logic is real.
Look at it this way:  Rather than having various electrical signals, the
nanotech stuff works mechanically, since they are so small that electrical
stuff just overwhelms it.  Suppose our logic worked by having little bitty
rods that get shuttled back and forth: for example, an and gate would have
a rod that would be pushed to the on state when both input rods were pushing
on it.  An OR gate would be really simple:

              input 1   --- |
                            | -----  output
              input 2   --- |

If either input rod gets pushed on, it would push the bridge and thereby
push the output rod.
    You can play all sorts of mind games building this sort of logic.
Considering how *small* this stuff is, it should be able to react really
fast.  Building it would be tough, though.

       Dave Williams     dawill@hubcap.clemson.edu    (signature macro on
                                                       other computer)

jdarcy@pinocchio.encore.com (Jeff d'Arcy) (12/01/89)

From article <1376@argus.UUCP>, by ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng):
> Hm, indium phosphide I once heard that mentioned by Cray (yes that
> Cray), but I never heard of nanotechnology rod logic.  Is it real
> or is it a joke of some kind?  Does anyone know of anyone working
> with indium phosphide at least?

While we're at it, what is "ballistic transistor" technology.  I see
images of microchips with little microrocket engines, but somehow I
don't think that's what ER was talking about.

Jeff d'Arcy     OS/Network Software Engineer     jdarcy@encore.com
  Encore has provided the medium, but the message remains my own

webber@psych.toronto.edu (Bob Webber) (12/01/89)

In article <10508@encore.Encore.COM> jdarcy@pinocchio.encore.com (Jeff d'Arcy) writes:
>While we're at it, what is "ballistic transistor" technology.  I see
>images of microchips with little microrocket engines, but somehow I
>don't think that's what ER was talking about.
>
>Jeff d'Arcy     OS/Network Software Engineer     jdarcy@encore.com
>  Encore has provided the medium, but the message remains my own

A simplified explanation: electrons are accelerated towards the gate
so that the delay time between a change of state at the gate and the
beginning or cessation of arrival of electrons on its far side is
shorter than it would be if the electrons simply diffused across as
they do in a conventional transistor.  This entails building a more
complex structure for each transistor, and I recall/believe that more
connections are required since one must apply an accelerating voltage.

Incidentally, I don't understand why InP (indium phosphide) should be
thought superior to GaAs at this stage of development.  Both are
III-V compound semiconductors, both are therefore inherently more
difficult to work with than Si or Ge, and the fact that InP is less
well developed may simply mean we haven't seen its worst problems.

Arguments based on the toxicity of As are beside the point: fabrication
of small-scale multi-layer devices on a commercial scale seems currently
to require the use of organometallic reagents.  It seems unlikely that
any of these will be non-toxic.  For that matter, seems to me that there's
folks using phosgene as a P source for doping Si someplace on campus...

beyer@cbnewsh.ATT.COM (jean-david.beyer) (12/01/89)

In article <1989Nov30.230012.11752@psych.toronto.edu>, webber@psych.toronto.edu (Bob Webber) writes:
> In article <10508@encore.Encore.COM> jdarcy@pinocchio.encore.com (Jeff d'Arcy) writes:
> >While we're at it, what is "ballistic transistor" technology.  I see
> to require the use of organometallic reagents.  It seems unlikely that
> any of these will be non-toxic.  For that matter, seems to me that there's
> folks using phosgene as a P source for doping Si someplace on campus...

I thought they used Phosphine (PH3) and Arsene (AsH3) as doping agents.
I do not recall the formula for phosgene, but  do not think there is phosphorus
in it. Is it not a compound similar to carbon tetrachloride?

--
Jean-David Beyer
AT&T Bell Laboratories

mbutts@mentor.com (Mike Butts) (12/05/89)

From article <7269@hubcap.clemson.edu>, by dawill@hubcap.clemson.edu (david williams):
> In article <1376@argus.UUCP>, ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) writes:
>> In article <1Tcfjq#9jMTbv=eric@snark.uu.net>, eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>> : If you're the gambling type, bet your bux on ballistic-transistor technology
>> : or indium phosphide or even nanotechnology rod logic. But forget GaAs. It is
>>
>> Hm, indium phosphide I once heard that mentioned by Cray (yes that
>> Cray), but I never heard of nanotechnology rod logic.  Is it real
>> or is it a joke of some kind?  Does anyone know of anyone working
>> with indium phosphide at least?
>
>    As much as any nanotechnology is "real", nanotech rod logic is real.
> Look at it this way:  Rather than having various electrical signals, the
> nanotech stuff works mechanically, since they are so small that electrical
> stuff just overwhelms it.  Suppose our logic worked by having little bitty
> rods that get shuttled back and forth: for example, an and gate would have
> a rod that would be pushed to the on state when both input rods were pushing
> on it.  An OR gate would be really simple:
>
>               input 1   --- |
>                             | -----  output
>               input 2   --- |
>
> If either input rod gets pushed on, it would push the bridge and thereby
> push the output rod.
>     You can play all sorts of mind games building this sort of logic.
> Considering how *small* this stuff is, it should be able to react really
> fast.  Building it would be tough, though.
>
>        Dave Williams     dawill@hubcap.clemson.edu    (signature macro on
>                                                        other computer)

Nanotechnology is a *hypothetical* technology of building molecular-scale
machines by assembling individual atoms at the atomic level.  It is predicted
by Eric Drexler of MIT in his book "Engines of Creation" to be the ultimate
outgrowth of such technologies as DNA construction and scanning tunneling
microscopy.  Large nanocomputers the size of biological cells would operate
mechanically at GigaHertz speeds.  Many other quite revolutionary
applications, and their social consequences, are envisioned, with quantitative
basis and including references to other literature.  Also check newsgroup
sci.nanotech.
--
Michael Butts, Research Engineer       KC7IT           503-626-1302
Mentor Graphics Corp., 8500 SW Creekside Place, Beaverton, OR 97005

mcdonald@aries.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (12/06/89)

At our departmental seminar yesterday the speaker showed fabricated
areas on mica as small as 1 nanometers. These are just basically
scratch marks.  But is is easy to do and a start. And other
materials work also. This was done with the "scanning microscope"
technology. His pictures of steps on ordinary silicon chips were
stunning - you could see the literal atoms of the tops and
sides of mesas.

Doug McDonald

TOMASIC@RICEVM1.BITNET (ZDENKO) (12/06/89)

Phosgene is carbonyl dichloride (COCl2), a product of pyrolisis of
carbon tetrachloride (CCl4). It is a very poisonous lacrymator.
(BTW A good reason to keep it out of this newsgroup).

Zdenko Tomasic
Rice University
Chemistry Department
Internet:zdenko@katzo.rice.edu

mac@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU (M. Alex Colvin) (12/08/89)

nanomachines (or anything else) built with scanning microscopes can't be
very complex, or they'll take to long to build. the nice thing about
photolithography is that it's relatively independent of the nummber of
features.

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (12/13/89)

mac@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU (M. Alex Colvin) says:

> nanomachines (or anything else) built with scanning microscopes can't be
> very complex, or they'll take to long to build. the nice thing about
> photolithography is that it's relatively independent of the nummber of
> features.

On the contrary, they are the same.  An STM-fabricated device is built
piece-by-piece from atoms and small molecules.  An IC mask is made by
a machine called a "pattern generator", which has a precision slit
controlled by motors.  Each line and rectangle is made individually.

When it comes to production, photolithography is at an enormous disadvantage.
Every single IC must be exposed to a copy of the mask (actually several
masks, a dozen or more).  An STM-fabricated self-reproducing nanomachine
would only need to be manufactured once, after which each unit could be
used to make others, much in the manner of a bacteria or algae.  The problem
is keeping it under control.

***

With regard to GaAs, I heard that the oxide is conductive.  Think about
that for a moment, and you'll understand why it could be so much harder
to make than silicon (in which oxygen and water vapor can be used to
grow excellent insulating material).