[comp.arch] Clock Rates

lindsay@MATHOM.GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) (11/24/89)

nelson@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>> If you project the slope of the clock rates of supercomputers, you
>> will see sub-nanosecond CYCLE times before 1995.
> Actually, I don't see this (dare I say it) EVER occuring.

Oh ye of little faith!

Today's gates are, repeat after me, slow, slow, slow!  For example,
if you build a ring oscillator on a Motorola MCA3 ECL gate array, you
see a 120 picosecond gate delay. Many major labs have built ring
oscillators at 20 ps or below. The lab record for a HEMT (ie
GaAs/AlGaAs) is about 10 picoseconds. That's at room temperature: in
liquid nitrogen the HEMT record is better than 6 picoseconds. Beyond
HEMT is a zoo of proposed exotic devices: unipolar tunnelling
transistors, quantam dots, and the like. There is one thing that is
sure: today's Y-MP gates aren't the last word in speed.

As for SRAM .. already there are lab chips with access times under
one nanosecond. Cypress is currently advertising a 3 nano SRAM
(1Kx4).

>a nanosecond is only 12 inches of wire

More precisely, a nanosecond is 30 cm. in a vacuum. The copper of the
VAX 9000 circuit board (MCU) gets 160 picoseconds/inch. However, an
MCU is only 4 inches across (two thirds of a nanosecond), and can
realisticaly hold 40 or 50 SRAMs. Plus, of course, we would expect a
hot processor to have an on-chip cache. The fancy packaging would be
important only to keep the second-level cache nearby, thus reducing
the cost of a first-level miss.

A more serious problem is power distribution. The 10 picosecond HEMT
took a milliwatt per gate: ouch. Luckily, liquid nitrogen
temperatures reduce resistivity by a factor of six. That temperature
also slows down physical processes - including the physical processes
by which chips fail (such as atoms electromigrating downstream in
your power wires).

The other serious problem is signal distribution around a chip.
Wiring doesn't shrink as easily as devices, so we will see heavy
emphasis on keeping things local.  Special purpose chips (say, signal
processing pipelines) might get the equivalent of 10 GHz before the
century is out.  General purpose chips have to push signals through
metal (e.g. the bus through the cache) and will probably bottleneck
on the capacitance.
--
Don		D.C.Lindsay 	Carnegie Mellon Computer Science

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) (11/25/89)

In article <7076@pt.cs.cmu.edu> lindsay@MATHOM.GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) writes:
>nelson@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>>> If you project the slope of the clock rates of supercomputers, you
>>> will see sub-nanosecond CYCLE times before 1995.
>> Actually, I don't see this (dare I say it) EVER occuring.
>Oh ye of little faith!
>Many major labs have built ring
>oscillators at 20 ps or below.

And don't forget protein-based logic.  (Yeah, yeah:  jokes of 'don't forget
to feed it!' abound.)  CMU had, a few years ago, announced some
protein-based RAM and a NAND gate.  The RAM had an access time of, if I
remember correctly, something like 3 picoseconds, and the NAND gate was at
something like 6 picoseconds.  They were using lasers to access and change
the states; the protein just stored it (as large as protein molecules are,
they are orders of magnitude *smaller* than any current circuit).  *If* this
pans out (and I believe that either Cray Research or Cray Computer is
looking into it), it could be *very* significant.

So, yes, you could end up with a Cray-7, with 16384 processors
(extrapolating from the trend of the past 3), and deity alone knows how much
memory, all on your desk.  But don't forget to feed it 8-).

(Seriously:  I don't know enough about current research to say whether it
would work or not.  Initial results show it *might* work, and might work
soon enough and cheaply enough to be a viable research project, but that's
all I know.)

--
Sean Eric Fagan  | "Time has little to do with infinity and jelly donuts."
seanf@sco.COM    |    -- Thomas Magnum (Tom Selleck), _Magnum, P.I._

terry@sunquest.UUCP (Terry Friedrichsen) (12/05/89)

In article <7076@pt.cs.cmu.edu>, lindsay@MATHOM.GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) writes:
> Beyond
> HEMT is a zoo of proposed exotic devices: unipolar tunnelling
> transistors, quantam dots, and the like. There is one thing that is
> sure: today's Y-MP gates aren't the last word in speed.
>
> Don		D.C.Lindsay 	Carnegie Mellon Computer Science

Could you do me (and perhaps many others in comp.arch) a favor, if it's
convenient, and post some references to these "proposed exotic devices"?
Sounds like interesing reading (I GOTTA find out what a "quantum dot" is!).

Terry R. Friedrichsen
TERRY@SDSC.EDU	(alternate address; I live and work in Tucson)

"Do, or do not.  There is no 'try'."  Yoda - The Empire Strikes Back

lindsay@MATHOM.GANDALF.CS.CMU.EDU (Donald Lindsay) (12/11/89)

In article <1106@sunquest.UUCP> terry@sunquest.UUCP (Terry Friedrichsen)
	writes:
>Could you do me (and perhaps many others in comp.arch) a favor, if it's
>convenient, and post some references to these "proposed exotic devices"?
>Sounds like interesing reading (I GOTTA find out what a "quantum dot" is!).

Sure. The one-color diagrams are in
	IEEE Journal of Quantam Electronics vol. QE-22, #9, Sep86.
	(Special issue: hundreds of pages: have a recent physics degree.)
	+ keep an eye on Applied Physics Letters.

Two-color diagrams are hard to find, the last one I saw was:
	Electronics Oct88 p.143 "Will Quantam-Effect Technology
	Represent a Quantam Jump in ICs?"

Three-color diagrams are likewise scarce:
	R.T.Bate, Scientific American vol. 256, #3, Mar88, p. 96.
	Mark Reed, Byte, May89, p.275 "The Quantam Transistor"
	Both gentlemen are physicists at Texas Instruments.

Working devices are even scarcer, i.e. not yet.  Also, products are 6
to infinity years away, so don't get _too_ excited. The basic insight
is very simple: there is a limit below which transistors will not
work: this is about the 0.2 - 0.35 micron level. Below that, quantam
effects will be unavoidable. So, the dream is to make quantam effects
into a feature rather than a bug.

Ballistic transistors are nearer-term. The insight here is that
electrons, moving through a crystal because of an applied voltage, do
_not_ travel at their "drift velocity". In fact, they accelerate,
then bump into the lattice ("emit phonons"). Then they accelerate
again, and so on. So, imagine a channel region shorter than the mean
free path. Electrons can cross "ballistically".

A GaAs ballistic transistor would have a channel of about 0.4
microns.  This is doable. A silicon ballistic transistor would have
to be smaller - bad news for silicon. Diamond devices would be the
biggest (if only we could make them). Drift velocities are higher at
lower temperatures, so liquid nitrogen cooling would allow larger
devices. However, the article I'm stealing all this from claims that
the biggest benefit occurs when the electrons are injected at high
speed, probably by a heterostructure. So far, heterostructures have
been GaAlAs on top of GaAs, or GaInAs on InP, or the like: bleah:
all hard to work with. There are recent reports of silicon hetero-
structures using germanium, or silicon carbide.  Hmmm: the set of
possible futures keeps growing.

Disclaimer: I don't do this stuff: I collect. Please correct any
mistakes, and information donations are welcome.
--
Don		D.C.Lindsay 	Carnegie Mellon Computer Science

andrew@dtg.nsc.com (Lord Snooty @ The Giant Poisoned Electric Head ) (12/14/89)

I read recently in the trade press that Hughes had bettered the world
record for device speed, currently held by themselves. They constructed
a ring oscillator at 0.6 THz. This was, I believe, a bipolar silicon
process, and was definitely at room temperature. Any details, anyone?
Andrew Palfreyman	a wet bird never flies at night		time sucks
andrew@dtg.nsc.com	there are always two sides to a broken window