[comp.arch] Is there such a book?

lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Lumsdon) (12/15/89)

I'm looking for a book.....

Timing of gift isn't anytime soon. Recipient has a BS in computer engineering,
and wants a book on computer architecture that's more up-to-date than
his text, includes micros, minis, mainframes, supers, etc. I couldn't
convince him that Digital's "VAX Hardware Architecture Manual" was _the_
book on computer architecture (I'm a VMS system manager :-), so I'm
looking for suggesstions.

I'm sure he wants a technical book, one that a CS major with a weak
math or hardware background would be afraid to tackle. And I'm sure
that he'd like a book that mentions software.

Thanks!
---
Esther Lumsdon
David Taylor Research Center
Annapolis Lab  cm 301-267-3816   av 281-3816

mbutts@mentor.com (Mike Butts) (12/16/89)

From article <571@nems.dt.navy.mil>, by lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Lumsdon):
> I'm looking for a book.....
>
> Timing of gift isn't anytime soon. Recipient has a BS in computer engineering,
> and wants a book on computer architecture that's more up-to-date than
> his text, includes micros, minis, mainframes, supers, etc. I couldn't
> convince him that Digital's "VAX Hardware Architecture Manual" was _the_
> book on computer architecture (I'm a VMS system manager :-), so I'm
> looking for suggesstions.
>
> I'm sure he wants a technical book, one that a CS major with a weak
> math or hardware background would be afraid to tackle. And I'm sure
> that he'd like a book that mentions software.

I just received a flyer on a new book, "Computer Architecture: A Quantitative
Approach", by John Hennessy of Stanford and David Patterson of Berkeley, which
will be available in February from Morgan-Kaufmann Publishers in Palo Alto.
Hennessy and Patterson, of course, are, between the two of them, most of the
major early proponents of RISC thinking, and leaders of the efforts that
have flowered into use as the MIPS and SPARC architectures, respectively.  I
plan on getting a copy.  You may find this fits your requirements.
--
Michael Butts, Research Engineer       KC7IT           503-626-1302
Mentor Graphics Corp., 8500 SW Creekside Place, Beaverton, OR 97005

markd@silogic.UUCP (Mark DiVecchio) (12/16/89)

In article <571@nems.dt.navy.mil> lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Esther Lumsdon) writes:
>I'm looking for a book.....
>I'm sure he wants a technical book, one that a CS major with a weak
>math or hardware background would be afraid to tackle. And I'm sure
>that he'd like a book that mentions software.

My favorite

Structured Computer Architecture, 3rd Edition
Andrew Tanenbaum
Prentice Hall

--
Mark DiVecchio, Silogic Systems, 619-549-9841 K3FWT
     9888 Carroll Center Road, Suite 113, San Diego, CA 92126

bruce@think.com (Bruce Walker) (12/16/89)

If you can wait two months, I highly recommend a new book by Patterson &
Hennessy called "Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach" to be
published in February by Morgan Kaufmann.
--
--Bruce Walker, Thinking Machines Corporation, Cambridge, MA
  bruce@think.com, think!bruce, bjn@mitvma.bitnet; +1 617 876 1111