[comp.arch] _really_ ciscy

rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) (12/19/89)

des@dtg.nsc.com (Desmond Young) writes:
>  This does hint at the very (very) CISC nature of Futurebus+. It has
>every facility (almost) ever dreamt of. As an analogy to CISC
>processors, it almost has a single instruction to compile a program :-).

   Now hold on a minute, didn't the Fairchild SYMBOL machine have a
single instruction that would do a compile (in a random hardware
implementation, as I remember).  It was a pretty ugly language
grammatically but the compilations just blazed through.

> (Well, a wee bit of an exaggeration).

   Hell no.  I'm serious.

>Anyway, if you want to go fast, it has too much baggage.
>My Opinion etc.

   Agreed.
--
rwa@aungbad.AthabascaU.CA	Ross Alexander (403) 675 6311

johnt@opus.WV.TEK.COM (John Theus;685-2564;61-183;625-6654;hammer) (12/19/89)

In article <1328@atha.AthabascaU.CA> rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) writes:
>des@dtg.nsc.com (Desmond Young) writes:
>
>>Anyway, if you want to go fast, it has too much baggage.
>>My Opinion etc.
>
>   Agreed.

Ok, guys, let's hear some specifics.  What is the baggage that will prevent
Futurebus+ from going fast?  Where did we blow it?

As I stated in a previous posting, we expect to be building Futurebus+
hardware in the coming year that can sustain 500 Mbytes/sec on a 64 bit
wide data path.  The questions that immediately come to mind are either
this does meet your definition for "fast", or you don't believe we can
deliver this bandwidth.

Some background for your comments would be helpful.  Thanks.

John Theus					johnt@opus.wv.tek.com
Futurebus+ Parallel Protocol Coordinator
Tektronix, Inc.
Interactive Technologies Div. - shipping the Futurebus-based XD88 workstations

stevew@wyse.wyse.com (Steve Wilson xttemp dept303) (12/20/89)

In article <1328@atha.AthabascaU.CA> rwa@cs.AthabascaU.CA (Ross Alexander) writes:
>des@dtg.nsc.com (Desmond Young) writes:
>>  This does hint at the very (very) CISC nature of Futurebus+. It has
>>every facility (almost) ever dreamt of. As an analogy to CISC
>>processors, it almost has a single instruction to compile a program :-).
>
>   Now hold on a minute, didn't the Fairchild SYMBOL machine have a
>single instruction that would do a compile (in a random hardware
>implementation, as I remember).  It was a pretty ugly language
>grammatically but the compilations just blazed through.

This is a non-sequitor to the entire thread!  Des was trying to
come up with an analogy between CISC and a bus standard.  The
fact that the SYMBOL box might have had an instruction to do
this has  no real connection.

Along this line maybe its time for some new acronyms to describe
a Complicated Standard Bus (CSB?) or a Simple Standard Bus (SSB -
no wait - that stands for Single Side Band...) I know, how about
Easy Standard Bus (ESB).

Anyone have any better suggestions?

Steve Wilson

In article <276@leia.WV.TEK.COM> johnt@opus.WV.TEK.COM (John Theus) writes:

>Ok, guys, let's hear some specifics.  What is the baggage that will prevent
>Futurebus+ from going fast?  Where did we blow it?
>
>As I stated in a previous posting, we expect to be building Futurebus+
>hardware in the coming year that can sustain 500 Mbytes/sec on a 64 bit
>wide data path.  The questions that immediately come to mind are either
>this does meet your definition for "fast", or you don't believe we can
>deliver this bandwidth.
>
>John Theus					johnt@opus.wv.tek.com

John,

I'd like to ask some questions about bus bandwidth that your experiencing
now, and how you expect this to change with Futurebus+.

If you have a coherent system how much of the total bus tenure  is
used by the coherence handshake in a "typical" system versus total
time spent transferring data?

How will these numbers change in the Futurebus+ system?  I'd expect
that more data will get moved due to the 64 bit path, but will
bus tennure percentages remain about the same as the original
Futurebus?

I realize that you have to take a snapshot of some particular technology
and specific cache system to answer these questions.  I also
realize that I may be asking you some proprietary questions.
Anything you can say will be instructional.

Steve Wilson

Standard Disclaimer - These are my views only, not those of my employer.

lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Hugh LaMaster) (12/20/89)

In article <276@leia.WV.TEK.COM> johnt@opus.WV.TEK.COM (John Theus) writes:

>Ok, guys, let's hear some specifics.  What is the baggage that will prevent
>Futurebus+ from going fast?  Where did we blow it?

The one word that keeps coming up wrt Futurebus+ is *Arbitration*.  I have
heard numerous times that FB+ arbitration is extremely hard for mere
mortals to understand, and will be either complicated and expensive, or,
slow, depending on implementation, *and*, that it will depend on the
slowest board in the system.

The prospect is, though, that with *reasonable cost* implementations
(being, I suppose, that it doesn't materially add to the cost of a $2500
disk controller), FutureBus+ won't be very fast (Someone said ~50MB/sec).
So, 500MB/sec is *possible*, but, some folks claim that boards capable of
this speed will be extremely expensive.

I am repeating what I have heard, but have no independent knowledge myself.

  Hugh LaMaster, m/s 233-9,  UUCP ames!lamaster
  NASA Ames Research Center  ARPA lamaster@ames.arc.nasa.gov
  Moffett Field, CA 94035
  Phone:  (415)694-6117