[comp.arch] The Art of Floating Point

mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) (12/19/89)

In article <960020@hpcllla.HP.COM> daryl@hpcllla.HP.COM (Daryl Odnert) writes:
  >There was sufficient interest in the Hennessy and Patterson book that
  >I've decided to post the information here:

  >   Table Of Contents (from the Preliminary Edition)

  >Daryl Odnert

Another good feature of the book is Appendix A: Computer Arithmetic
which is 72 pages long.  It discusses FP representation, rounding,
precision, exceptions (!!), and hardware design and design tradeoffs.

Three addition hardware schemes are discussed, 5 multiplier hw designs,
and 2 divider designs are mentioned.

Plus, the final edition discusses the implementation specifics of three
real world, sold for money, floating-point integrated circuits.  It shows
comparison photos and block diagrams of TI 8847, Weitek 3364, and R3010, along
with a discussion of their design tradeoffs, similarities, and differences.

DISCLAIMER:  I'm the one who, upon request, mailed the R3010 die photo
to the authors.  But I don't get any royalties or revenue if you buy
their book :-(.
--
 -- Mark Johnson
 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

mark@kimball.PARC.xerox.com (Mark Weiser) (12/21/89)

In article <33847@mips.mips.COM> mark@mips.COM (Mark G. Johnson) writes:

>>   Another good feature of the book is Appendix A: Computer Arithmetic

Let me also point out that this part of the book has a separate author:
David Goldberg, of the Computer Science Lab at Xerox PARC, an all around
fun guy (office down the hall).

-mark
--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark@mimsy.umd.edu	Phone: +1-301-454-7817