[comp.arch] Sanity Check, please

josh@klaatu.rutgers.edu (J Storrs Hall) (01/09/90)

I'd like people's reactions to these predictions on microprocessor
technology by the turn of the century.  They are intended to
indicate something on the order of "state of the art but commercially
available", use the "1990" column to guess what level I'm getting at.
("pins" is high but intended to indicate more state of the art;
I really just guessed at memory speeds ca. 1980.)

what            1980    1990    extrapolation   2000
processor
pins		64	256	x4		1k
clock		8MHz	32MHz	x4		128MHz
"Devices"	50k	1M	x20		20M
mips		1	12	x12		144
memory(dram)
bits/chip	16k	1M	x64		64M
speed		240ns	80ns	/4		20ns

--JoSH

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (01/10/90)

| From: josh@klaatu.rutgers.edu (J Storrs Hall)
|
| what            1980    1990    extrapolation   2000
| processor
| pins		64	256	x4		1k
| clock		8MHz	32MHz	x4		128MHz
| "Devices"	50k	1M	x20		20M
| mips		1	12	x12		144
| memory(dram)
| bits/chip	16k	1M	x64		64M
| speed		240ns	80ns	/4		20ns

  "pins" and "clock" are the only ones I have an argument with.

  The mechanical insertion force necessary for a 1K pin chip would be
prohibitive if no other considerations came into play.  I think we're
much more likely to see surface mount modules containing CPU, floating
point, memory management, primary- and secondary- cache, high speed bus,
memory and I/O access.  The advanced mounting technology will take
advantage of both sides of the module board(s) and be very small and
dense.  The fancier modules will have provision for multiple busses and
paths to memory and I/O.

  On the clock issue I just think you're way too conservative.  I expect
to see 128MHz within a year to a year and a half.  What the clock speeds
on KMs will be in 2000 I couldn't guess, but they will be faster than
128MHz.

Casey

hascall@cs.iastate.edu (John Hascall) (01/10/90)

In article <???> josh@klaatu.rutgers.edu (J Storrs Hall) writes:

}I'd like people's reactions to these predictions on microprocessor
}technology by the turn of the century...

}what            1980    1990    extrapolation   2000

}processor
}pins		64	256	x4		1k
}clock		8MHz	32MHz	x4		128MHz
}"Devices"	50k	1M	x20		20M
}mips		1	12	x12		144
}memory(dram)
}bits/chip	16k	1M	x64		64M
}speed		240ns	80ns	/4		20ns
                                ^

                                +-- Can we assume a linear relationship???
   Perhaps someone could add in a few more data points between '80 and '90.

John Hascall  /  ISU Comp Ctr  /  Ames, IA

dgr@hpfcso.HP.COM (Dave Roberts) (01/10/90)

Josh writes:

>I'd like people's reactions to these predictions on microprocessor
>technology by the turn of the century.  They are intended to
>indicate something on the order of "state of the art but commercially
>available", use the "1990" column to guess what level I'm getting at.
>("pins" is high but intended to indicate more state of the art;
>I really just guessed at memory speeds ca. 1980.)
>
>what            1980    1990    extrapolation   2000
>processor
>pins		64	256	x4		1k
>clock		8MHz	32MHz	x4		128MHz
>"Devices"	50k	1M	x20		20M
>mips		1	12	x12		144
>memory(dram)
>bits/chip	16k	1M	x64		64M
>speed		240ns	80ns	/4		20ns
>
>--JoSH
>----------

Well, I've got to say, clock seems a bit low by the year 2000, as number
of pins seems high.  I doubt that bus widths will grow too much internally
to processors (although external bus widths probably will).  That will tend
to limit the pin expansion as will packaging limitations.  There will have
to be some *big* advances in packaging to support that rate of growth.
Clock speed should definitely (at current growth rates) exceed that (assuming
state of the art).  The other stuff I could believe (of course MIPS would
scale with processor speed, as would the "speed" parameter).

-- Dave

ran@cs.utah.edu (Ran Ginosar) (01/10/90)

I have seen published predictions by Intel similar to Josh's numbers,
except that they plan on 100M transistors per chip, not just 20M.
--
	Dr. Ran Ginosar			ran@cs.utah.edu
	Computer Science Department, University of Utah