[comp.arch] chip manufacturing

kenobi%lightsabre@Sun.COM (Rick Kwan - Sun Intercon) (01/12/90)

In article <143@daedalus.nsc.com> andrew@dtg.nsc.com (Lord Snooty @ The Giant Poisoned Electric Head       ) writes:

>Bottom line I read is that there are no more
>US companies in this market - the Japanese hold 100%. I don't recall my
>source (sorry - magazine plethora) but do recall this in the context of
>a Taiwanese chip vendor complaining that if Japan decided to deny him
>trade, he'd have nowhere else in the world to go, and was lamenting the
>lack of US manufacturers of this equipment. This was in the last week or two.

I read the same thing, and I can't remember where I read it either.
But the country was *Korea*, not Taiwan.  I know, this is a trifling
difference to some, and perhaps not to others.  It seems to me that
Korea is already into the DRAM business; Taiwan is about to enter,
largely with the help of U.S. investment (e.g., TI to Acer).

	Rick Kwan
	Sun Microsystems - Intercontinental Operations
	kenobi@sun.com

"Travellin' through hyperspace ain't like dustin' crops, boy."
					--Han Solo