[comp.arch] New buzzword

eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) (01/10/90)

Over the weekend I had call to think of THE NEXT buzzword.
In the begining, there was the Computer.  Then came the MINI-computer [DEC],
and the first became the mainframe.  Next came the SUPERcomputer.
When Convex introduced the mini-supercomputer.  SCS had the term Crayette
introduced.  After 4 hours of driving thru snow and rain it hit me the
next buzzword will be

	mini-massive parallelism
or
	massive mini-parallelism 8).

Just buzzwords, who said anything about making complete sense.
Send mail if you have a comment you want me to read.  I am posting
here because it was suggested to me.

Another gross generalization from

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@aurora.arc.nasa.gov
  resident cynic at the Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers:
  "If my mail does not reach you, please accept my apology."
  {ncar,decwrl,hplabs,uunet}!ames!eugene
  Do you expect anything but generalizations on the net?

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (01/10/90)

In article <5945@eos.UUCP> eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
>After 4 hours of driving thru snow and rain it hit me the next buzzword will be
>	mini-massive parallelism

In the Celerity 1988 Business Plan (which should have been summed up succinctly
as "find a buyer") they proposed the hyperminisupercomputer...
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939
928 E. Arques Ave.  Sunnyvale, CA  94086                        rogerk@mips.COM

preston@titan.rice.edu (Preston Briggs) (01/10/90)

In article <5945@eos.UUCP> eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
>Over the weekend I had call to think of THE NEXT buzzword.

I support the immediate drafting of the buzz-adjective "hemi"
into the computer architecture/marketing lexicon.  After all,
"hemi" has performed yeoman service over the years for the
auto industry (particularly *performance* cars, nudge, nudge).
And who knows more about marketing?

The obvious usage is Hemi Mini.  Hemi Drive has possibilities
(or perhaps Demi Drive).  Or a souped-up barrel processor
called the Hemi-HEP (pay attention Tera).

Perhaps the worst, and therefore the clincher,
is calling GaAs devices "hemiconductors."

sign me
"Embarrassed"

brent@uwovax.uwo.ca (Brent Sterner) (01/10/90)

In article <4197@brazos.Rice.edu>, preston@titan.rice.edu (Preston Briggs) writes:
> In article <5945@eos.UUCP> eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
>>Over the weekend I had call to think of THE NEXT buzzword.
>
>	< lots of stimulating stuff removed >
>
> Perhaps the worst, and therefore the clincher,
> is calling GaAs devices "hemiconductors."
>
> sign me
> "Embarrassed"
	Not half as embarrassed as I'm gonna be.  Your mention of
	"hemi" reminded me of my music days.  Very old music theory
	follows.  In 4/4 time, a whole note is called a "breve" in
	olde English (perhaps still in use?).  A half note a "minim".
	A quarter note a "crotchet", and an eighth note a "quaver".

	Then the good maestros ran out of words and began adding prefixes.
	Note :-) that the duration of each note is being cut in half with
	each subsequent step.  The prefix-named notes are "semi quaver",
	"demi semi quaver", and "hemi demi semi quaver" for sixteenth,
	thirty-second, and 64th notes respectively.

	I suggest we call silicon a "semiconductor", and GaAs becomes a
	"demisemiconductor".  The development of a hemidemisemiconductor
	is left as an exercise for the reader.  b.
--
Brent Sterner                        Technical Support Manager, Academic Systems
Network    <BRENT@uwo.ca>            <BRENT@UWOVAX.BITNET>

hascall@cs.iastate.edu (John Hascall) (01/10/90)

In article <4197> preston@titan.rice.edu (Preston Briggs) writes:
}In article <5945@eos.UUCP> eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
}>Over the weekend I had call to think of THE NEXT buzzword.

}I support the immediate drafting of the buzz-adjective "hemi"
}into the computer architecture/marketing lexicon.  After all,
}"hemi" has performed yeoman service over the years for the
}auto industry (particularly *performance* cars, nudge, nudge).
}And who knows more about marketing?

      Isn't someone (sgi?) already using "Turbo"?

      And I suppose we can look forward to:

	  DOHC              Double OverHead Computer  (a CISC no doubt :-)
	  Have you driven a MIPs lately?
	  Cray is the clockbeat of America.  (Can you order ScotchGuard on
					      the seats?)
          etc.. etc...

Well, we might as well adopt the automotive paradigm, after all it seems
computers already have a *model year*!

	  "Here's a lovely '89 DECstation owned by a little old lady
	  who only used it to play gnuchess on Sundays..."

Sign me,
"Carried away"

kleonard@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM (Ken Leonard) (01/11/90)

In article <4197@brazos.Rice.edu> preston@titan.rice.edu (Preston Briggs) writes:
* I support the immediate drafting of the buzz-adjective "hemi"
* . . .
-
And how many of us are old enough to remember that the colloquial use of
hemi-whozis came from the days of "muscle" cars with "hemi[spherical]-head"
engines?
-
Aside from which, simply as an arbitrary prefix, the French[?] fashion-
marketing term equivalent of "hemi" is "demi".  Whichfrom derive such things
as the "demi-bra", which is designed to display more that what's really
there, or at least to make a maximal display.  Which leads us into the
wonderful world of computer-marketing. . .
-
* . . .
* sign me
* "Embarrassed"
-
You should be!
-
p.s.  Who is "Tera"?

roelof@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (R. Vuurboom) (01/11/90)

In article <4197@brazos.Rice.edu> preston@titan.rice.edu (Preston Briggs) writes:
>In article <5945@eos.UUCP> eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
>>Over the weekend I had call to think of THE NEXT buzzword.

In the search for the next high-performance buzzword some neural
cross-connection reminded me of the South African word for submarine:
pakmenooitnie (pak me nooit nie) which loosely translates as "you'll
never catch me".

I can see even now advertising offers for the standard microprocessor
version and the full-blown screamer pakmenooitnie version... :-)

--
The guy who said "The good die young" may have been talking about turkeys...
Roelof Vuurboom  SSP/V3   Philips TDS Apeldoorn, The Netherlands   +31 55 432226

chris@dg.dg.com (Chris Moriondo) (01/12/90)

In article <281@dino.cs.iastate.edu> hascall@cs.iastate.edu (John Hascall) writes:
>>In article <5945@eos.UUCP> eugene@eos.UUCP (Eugene Miya) writes:
>>>Over the weekend I had call to think of THE NEXT buzzword.
>
>      Isn't someone (sgi?) already using "Turbo"?

I'd like to see legislation passed prohibiting the use of the
word "Turbo" on any product which does not actually contain a
turbine...  (:-)

-chrism

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (01/14/90)

In <251@dg.dg.com>, uunet!dg!chris (Chris Moriondo) wrote:

> I'd like to see legislation passed prohibiting the use of the
> word "Turbo" on any product which does not actually contain a
> turbine...  (:-)

Remember that a "turbo" becomes active in the presence of a large
volume of rapidly moving hot air...

	... which explains why marketing types relate to the word so well :-)
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james@bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789