[comp.arch] 6000's Actually What computing power is needed?

a186@mindlink.UUCP (Harvey Taylor) (01/16/90)

In <3300093@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, nelson@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>I truly believe that the demand for faster and faster PCs will slow
>  down quite a bit in the next few years.
>
>Personally, for nearly all PC applications, I think that a 386 system
>is more than enough and most of the demand comes from people who don't
>  need the power at all,

   Umm. This depends upon where you think up is.

#define Inspirational_mode on

 "While today's digital hardware is extremely impressive, it is clear
 that the human retina's real time performance goes unchallenged.
 Actually to simulate 10 milliseconds of the complete processing of
 even a single nerve cell from the retina would require the solution
 of about 500 simultaneous nonlinear differential equations 100 times
 and would take at least several minutes of time on a Cray supercomputer.
 Keeping in mind that there are 10 million or more such cells interacting
 with each other in complex ways, it would take a minimum of 100 years of
 Cray time to simulate what takes place in your eye many times each
 second." - John K. Stevens
 Byte, Page 287, April 1985, Reverse Engineering the Brain

#define ah leave it on...

  "Never imply that you would be willing to sacrifice profit
  for market share. - IBM's lawyers' advice to its executives"
         -Big Blue:IBM's Use & Abuse of Power by Richard T. Delamarter
  Harvey Taylor      Meta Media Productions
    uunet!van-bc!rsoft!mindlink!Harvey_Taylor
      a186@mindlink.UUCP