[comp.arch] Deja vu? Architecture book name?

kulkarni@hpcuha.HP.COM (Sandeep Kulkarni) (02/01/90)

/ hpcuha:comp.arch / kulkarni@hpcuha.HP.COM (Sandeep Kulkarni) / 10:05 am  Jan 23, 1990 /

> I know this was mentioned in this newsgroup some time ago, but I can't seem to
> remember the discussion.  Could someone e-mail me the name of the
> not-yet-released architecture book by Hennessy and Patterson.  I'd like the
> name of the publishers of the book too.

Maybe this message did not get through the first time around.  Does anyone
know the title and the name of the publisher of this book?

> Much thanx

Again !!

Sandeep
----
Sandeep Kulkarni  (kulkarni@hpda.hp.com) (1-447-1623)
System Arch. Lab., STD, Hewlett-Packard Company, Cupertino, CA 95014.
----------

underdog@portia.Stanford.EDU (Dwight Joe) (02/06/90)

In article <12660001@hpcuha.HP.COM> kulkarni@hpcuha.HP.COM (Sandeep Kulkarni) writes:
|I know this was mentioned in this newsgroup some time ago, but I can't seem to
|remember the discussion.  Could someone e-mail me the name of the
|not-yet-released architecture book by Hennessy and Patterson.  I'd like the
|name of the publishers of the book too.

The book is "Computer Architecture:  A Quantitative Approach",
published by Kaufman.

I've read several of the chapters; they are interesting.
However, you'll have to take one assertion in the preface (introduction?)
with a grain of salt.  There, the authors claim that
computer architecture WILL become a hard science like physics
and chemistry and that this book is a step in that
direction--hence, the reason for the title.  (chuckle)

I'll admit that there is more quantative material than
other computer arch. texts.  In fact, the calculations
are reminiscent of molar, molal, and normal calculations in
chemistry.  However, its stretching things a bit far
to say that computer architecture will become a hard science.

In order to qualify for a hard science, there needs
to be a high level of mathematical rigor, which computer
architecture will NEVER have.

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (02/08/90)

In article <8861@portia.Stanford.EDU> underdog@portia.Stanford.EDU (Dwight Joe) writes:
>In article <12660001@hpcuha.HP.COM> kulkarni@hpcuha.HP.COM (Sandeep Kulkarni) writes:
>|I know this was mentioned in this newsgroup some time ago, but I can't seem to
>|remember the discussion.  Could someone e-mail me the name of the
>|not-yet-released architecture book by Hennessy and Patterson.  I'd like the
>|name of the publishers of the book too.
>
>The book is "Computer Architecture:  A Quantitative Approach",
>published by Kaufman.
>
>I've read several of the chapters; they are interesting.
>However, you'll have to take one assertion in the preface (introduction?)
>with a grain of salt.  There, the authors claim that
>computer architecture WILL become a hard science like physics
>and chemistry and that this book is a step in that
>direction--hence, the reason for the title.  (chuckle)
There is still room for experience and taste in architecture, but more of
the kind of analysis in this book is really needed.

To correct an error above, and also [since I get several emails a week
on this], here is a definitive reference, contacts, and all other info
I've got:
	John A. Hennessy & David L. Patterson:
	"Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach"
	Morgan Kaufman [415-965-4081, 2929 Campus Drive, Suite 260,
	San Mateo, CA 94403.]

I hear it's supposed to be in bookstores by mid-March; or contact the
publisher and reserve a copy. Costs about $50.

Note: just to be clear, I have no financial connection with this, and at
least one of the authors knows I have no inhibitions against telling him
he's worng when he is.... but:

I've read the beta copy, and I think it's going to be a terrific book,
a classic for years for both working engineers and students.
Anybody who follows this newsgroup seriously should have one; many of the
silly arguments would disappear and we could get on to other things...
UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253

ccplumb@lion.waterloo.edu (Colin Plumb) (02/08/90)

In article <35644@mips.mips.COM> mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) writes:
> I've read the beta copy, and I think it's going to be a terrific book,
> a classic for years for both working engineers and students.
> Anybody who follows this newsgroup seriously should have one; many of the
> silly arguments would disappear and we could get on to other things...

It'll be a calssic as long as nobody else is sufficiently crazy to
put as much effort into a book on the subject for a while.  Just like
Knuth could be vastly improved, but nobody's that masochistic.
(Sometimes I even wonder about Knuth...)

Still, it's a good book.  I like *my* beta copy (acquired slightly funnily,
as I'm not taking the course), despite the sometimes hilarious typos.
("<something> is indicated with a superscript like this: <subscript> and
<something else> is indicated with a subscript like this: <superscript>.")

I just hope the publisher knows that if they think I'm defacing my copy
by ripping out the discount order form with useful information on the
back, they're crazy.  If you want people to remove it, make sure it's
blank on the other side!
--
	-Colin

jkenton@pinocchio.Encore.COM (Jeff Kenton) (02/08/90)

In article <35644@mips.mips.COM> mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) writes:

>I've read the beta copy, and I think it's going to be a terrific book,
>a classic for years for both working engineers and students.
>Anybody who follows this newsgroup seriously should have one; many of the
*** >silly arguments would disappear and we could get on to other things... ***

Methinks John is an optimist on this one.