[comp.arch] Multi-processor NeXT

ken@mm.uucp (Ken Seefried iii) (02/08/90)

In article <BBC.90Feb7154213@sicilia.rice.edu> Benjamin Chase <bbc@rice.edu> writes:

>I thought the NeXT architecture, and its choice of O/S, was designed
>to eventually adapt to multiple processors (no, I don't mean the DSP,
>you boneheads, I already know about that :-).  Any opinions on this?
>Other PC and workstation class machines are slowly appearing with
>multiple processors.  Any totally unsubstantiated rumors about the
>NeXT that someone would care to spew on the net? :-)

How 'bout some idle speculation?

Motorola can put at least 2, if not 4 88000s on a Eurocard (VME) format
board (actually smaller than the NeXT NuBus card).  The 88200 CMMUs
do all sorts of nice things like hardware cache coherency, etc.
NuBus, similarly, was designed with cheap multiprocessing in mind.
Slide a board or two like that in the NeXT, teach Mach how to play
ball, and you've got a lot of horsepower in that cube.

'Course...thats just Ken's pipe-dream-o-the-day...

--
       Ken Seefried iii             ...!<anywhere>!uunet!gatech!mm!ken
         MetaMedia, Inc.              ken%mm.uucp@gatech.edu

aglew@oberon.csg.uiuc.edu (Andy Glew) (02/13/90)

>Motorola can put at least 2, if not 4 88000s on a Eurocard (VME) format
>board (actually smaller than the NeXT NuBus card).  The 88200 CMMUs
>do all sorts of nice things like hardware cache coherency, etc.
>NuBus, similarly, was designed with cheap multiprocessing in mind.
>Slide a board or two like that in the NeXT, teach Mach how to play
>ball, and you've got a lot of horsepower in that cube.

Why not just buy the multiprocessor 88K system from Motorola
Microcomputer Division with VME and SCSI peripherals and colour
graphics?
    (I wanted to put MACH on it, but I couldn't persuade Motorola
to give one to my research group.)
--
Andy Glew, aglew@uiuc.edu