[comp.arch] References for "atypical" compilers.

schmidt@grouchy.cs.wisc.edu (Perry Schmidt) (02/27/90)

Does anyone have good references to "atypical" compilers.  Specifically
Prolog and LISP.  (More interested in Prolog, especially code generation
issues.)

I know this was asked before, but of course at that time I wasn't interested.
(Sorry for the repeat)

Thanks.

Perry
(schmidt@cs.wisc.edu)
[If someone has a bibliography on this topic, I'd love to see it.  There are
lots of compilers for Lisp and its ilk, but I haven't seen references to them
collected together.  -John]
--
Send compilers articles to compilers@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us
{spdcc | ima | lotus}!esegue.  Meta-mail to compilers-request@esegue.

compilers-sender@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (02/28/90)

In article <1990Feb26.214556.10523@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us> schmidt@grouchy.cs.wisc.edu (Perry Schmidt) writes:

>Does anyone have good references to "atypical" compilers.  Specifically
>Prolog and LISP.  (More interested in Prolog, especially code generation
>issues.)

The classic reference for Prolog compiling is:

%A D.H.D. Warren
%T An abstract Prolog instruction set
%R Technical Report 309
%R Artificial Intelligence Center, SRI International
%D 1983

--
Diomidis Spinellis                  Internet:                 dds@cc.ic.ac.uk
Department of Computing             UUCP:                    ...!ukc!iccc!dds

dhw@itivax.iti.org (David H. West) (03/03/90)

In article <1990Feb28.051817.5412@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us>  writes:
|The classic reference for Prolog compiling is:
|
|%A D.H.D. Warren
|%T An abstract Prolog instruction set
|%R Technical Report 309
|%R Artificial Intelligence Center, SRI International
|%D 1983

No, that's a relatively modern reference for Prolog compiling. :-)
The real classic reference (from which the above is a radical
departure) is

Implementing Prolog: Compiling Predicate Logic Programs; vols 1 and 2.
D. H. D. Warren
Edinburgh University Dept. of Artificial Intelligence Research Reports
Nos. 39 and 40,  May 1977.

hope this helps,

-David West      dhw@iti.org