[comp.arch] What's a personal computer

> Uhhh, it isn't a microcomputer unless I can buy three of them for under
> $10,000, and still have money to put gas in the car.

That's a good way of putting it. I like to say a personal computer should
cost no more than the down-payment on that car.
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \

underdog@portia.Stanford.EDU (Dwight Joe) (03/03/90)

In article <ZQ:1N+5xds13@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
|| Uhhh, it isn't a microcomputer unless I can buy three of them for under
|| $10,000, and still have money to put gas in the car.
|
|That's a good way of putting it. I like to say a personal computer should
|cost no more than the down-payment on that car.

We'll never see prices like those unless we encourage such cutthroat
competition that the market reaches a point of critical mass
at which a shake-out is almost certain.

In other words, I can hardly wait for the day when we'll be
flooded with all sorts of cheap RISC work-station clones.
(Remember the PC clone wars?)  Then, you'll probably see
a Parcstation I (clone of the Sparcstation I) go for about
...oh...  $1000.

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (03/06/90)

>In article <ZQ:1N+5xds13@ficc.uu.net> peter@ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>|| Uhhh, it isn't a microcomputer unless I can buy three of them for under
>|| $10,000, and still have money to put gas in the car.
>|
>|That's a good way of putting it. I like to say a personal computer should
>|cost no more than the down-payment on that car.
>
>We'll never see prices like those unless we encourage such cutthroat
>competition that the market reaches a point of critical mass
>at which a shake-out is almost certain.

Being an ECON major at heart, the market does its own thing, so long as
no one has a monopoly. IBM's move with it's RISC machine keeps DEC and
Sun and HP honest.

>In other words, I can hardly wait for the day when we'll be
>flooded with all sorts of cheap RISC work-station clones.
>(Remember the PC clone wars?)  Then, you'll probably see
>a Parcstation I (clone of the Sparcstation I) go for about
>...oh...  $1000.

The Japanese and Taiwanese and the Koreans (South, of course) all have
plans to go do SPARC implementations; look for Toshiba to give us portable
SPARC, Taiwan and Korea to give us $5K SPARC boxes which will compete with
Sun and DECs low-end machines.