[comp.arch] Info on Barrel Processors wanted

sporer@Stardent.COM (Michael Sporer @stardent) (02/24/90)

I am looking for references to literature on Barrel Processors. I have seen
the original articles on the CDC6600 Peripheral Processors. I am also
interested in information on the Operating System for the CDC6600.
I'd like any references to articles that describe the OS and how work
was scheduled onto the Peripheral Processors.

Finally, I am looking for any references to articles about the old
Honeywell 1648 time-sharing system with particular information about the
scheduler and how it assigned work to the Job Processors.

Thank you.

--
Michael Sporer             uunet!stardent!sporer
Stardent Computer Inc      sporer@stardent.com

baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) (02/27/90)

[]
>In article <1990Feb23.193659.565@Stardent.COM> sporer@stardent.UUCP () writes:
>I am looking for references to literature on Barrel Processors. I have seen
>the original articles on the CDC6600 Peripheral Processors.
Are you referring to CDC6600 barrel processors only?
Similar concepts were used in the Denelcor HEP, and the upcoming TERA Horizon.
--
		  baum@apple.com		(408)974-3385
{decwrl,hplabs}!amdahl!apple!baum

chrisp@mks.com (Chris Phillips) (03/01/90)

In article <38965@apple.Apple.COM> baum@apple.UUCP (Allen Baum) writes:
>[]
>>In article <1990Feb23.193659.565@Stardent.COM> sporer@stardent.UUCP () writes:
>>I am looking for references to literature on Barrel Processors. I have seen
>>the original articles on the CDC6600 Peripheral Processors.
>Are you referring to CDC6600 barrel processors only?
>Similar concepts were used in the Denelcor HEP, and the upcoming TERA Horizon.

And also in the console and iop of the Amdahl 580, 58xx and (I think) 59xx. Barrel
processors were also used in several Hitachi/NAS machines. And most of the more recent
Cyber 170 and Cyber 180 machines from CDC except the Cyber 930.

(Chris Phillips) chrisp@mks.com (519)884-2251 (416)733-3861

rpw3@rigden.wpd.sgi.com (Rob Warnock) (03/01/90)

In article <1990Feb28.170243.1745@mks.com> chrisp@mks.com
(Chris Phillips) writes:
+---------------
| In article <38965@apple.Apple.COM> baum@apple.UUCP (Allen Baum) writes:
| >>In article <1990Feb23.193659.565@Stardent.COM> sporer@stardent.UUCP writes:
| >>I am looking for references to literature on Barrel Processors. I have seen
| >>the original articles on the CDC6600 Peripheral Processors.
| >Similar concepts were used in the Denelcor HEP and the upcoming TERA Horizon.
| And also in the console and iop of the Amdahl 580, 58xx and (I think) 59xx.
| Barrel processors were also used in several Hitachi/NAS machines. And most of
| the more recent Cyber 170 and Cyber 180 machines... except the Cyber 930
+---------------

Don't forget that the inverse concept, in a nearly degenerate form, was used
in a lot in embedded controllers with 8-bit CPUs of the 6800 or 6809 families
(and maybe the 6502 as well?). Said micros had memory cycles which really
used the bus only during the second half of the clock cycle (though the
address would come out late in the first half). As a result, by using memory
twice as fast as normal, and by running two micros on opposite clock phases,
you could get a "2-CPU multiprocessor" for not much more than the cost of one.

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock, MS-9U/510		rpw3@sgi.com		rpw3@pei.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		(415)335-1673		Protocol Engines, Inc.
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA  94039-7311

smitley@super.ORG (David L. Smitley) (03/06/90)

In the Supercomputing 88 proceedings there are a number of articles on
Horizon, a successor to HEP and predecessor of the Tera machine.

-David

David Smitley
Supercomputing Research Center
17100 Science Drive