[comp.arch] What does VLIW stand for?

tommyk@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Tommy Kelly) (02/26/90)

What does the abbreviation 'VLIW' stand for?

sean@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sean P. Nolan) (02/27/90)

VLIW = "Very Large Indigo Waterbuffalo"

Glad I could help.

--- Sean

rpatnaik@td2cad.intel.com (ramesh patnaikuni) (02/27/90)

In article <4652@vanuata.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> tommyk@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Tommy Kelly) writes:
>What does the abbreviation 'VLIW' stand for?

It stands for Very Large Instruction Width (VLIW)

Ramesh

underdog@portia.Stanford.EDU (Dwight Joe) (02/27/90)

In article <4652@vanuata.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> tommyk@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Tommy Kelly) writes:
>What does the abbreviation 'VLIW' stand for?

If I recall correctly,

VLIW = very long instruction word.

rodman@mfci.UUCP (Paul Rodman) (02/27/90)

In article <2933@td2cad.intel.com> rpatnaik@td2cad.UUCP (ramesh patnaikuni) writes:
>In article <4652@vanuata.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> tommyk@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Tommy Kelly) writes:
>>What does the abbreviation 'VLIW' stand for?
>
>It stands for Very Large Instruction Width (VLIW)
>
>Ramesh

<sigh.>

VLIW = Very Long Instruction Word.

wbeebe@rtmvax.UUCP (Bill Beebe) (02/28/90)

In article <19745@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> sean@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Sean P. Nolan) writes:

>VLIW = "Very Large Indigo Waterbuffalo"

In the case of software, it stands for "Very Likely Isn't Working" (as, for
example, with Windows 3.0). It can also stand for "Very Little Interesting
Work" (as, for example, with Windows 2.11 and numerous other MinuteSoft
packages).

>Glad I could help.

Ditto.

lu@druhi.ATT.COM (david lu) (03/03/90)

In article <9575@portia.Stanford.EDU>, underdog@portia.Stanford.EDU (Dwight Joe) writes:
> In article <4652@vanuata.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> tommyk@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Tommy Kelly) writes:
> >What does the abbreviation 'VLIW' stand for?
> If I recall correctly,
> VLIW = very long instruction word.

Don't forget KLIW - Kinda Long Instruction Word (really).
Essentially, VLIW it refers to what used to be called Horizontal
microcoding (the ability to execute in parallel autonomous functional
units or "slices").

aglew@oberon.csg.uiuc.edu (Andy Glew) (03/06/90)

>Don't forget KLIW - Kinda Long Instruction Word (really).

Well, I suppose that superpipelined or superscalar processors
are trying for high performance.  But they don't have a KLIW.
--
Andy Glew, aglew@uiuc.edu

stevew@wyse.wyse.com (Steve Wilson xttemp dept303) (03/06/90)

In article <4694@druhi.ATT.COM> lu@druhi.ATT.COM (david lu) writes:
> Some stuff deleted...
>Don't forget KLIW - Kinda Long Instruction Word (really).
>Essentially, VLIW it refers to what used to be called Horizontal
>microcoding (the ability to execute in parallel autonomous functional
>units or "slices").

   My understanding of the two terms is slightly different.

   Horizontal micro-coding implies that you haven't encoded any of
   the control state.  (As oppossed to pure-vertical which would
   mean that you've fully encoded your micro-word.)

   Your statement about VLIW really being several instructions
   in one word so that parallel operation of severl functional
   units can take place fits with my understanding of the term.

   The difference between the two is subtle and perhaps you
   might say that VLIW is a subset of Horizontal microcoding.
   The difference being in that I can have a completely
   horizontal microcode word that can only do one thing at
   a time(i.e. one functional unit).  I've just chosen not
   to use decoding of the state in the implementation.

   Steve Wilson