[comp.arch] Byte UNIX Benchmarks

yap@me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) (03/07/90)

Has anyone got a copy of the UNIX benchmarks discussed in the latest
issue of Byte magazine.  They're in the Public Domain and I'll make them
available via anonymous ftp if someone is willing to mail them to me.

Regards, Davin
_______________leave_nothing_to_the_imagination_of_those_without_______________
                               Davin Yap, Mechanical Engineering, U of Toronto
A smile, for me?  How nice.     yap@me.toronto.edu     yap@me.utoronto.bitnet
                                      ...{pyramid,uunet}!utai!utme!yap
--

mjr@atreus.umiacs.umd.edu (Marcus J. Ranum) (03/07/90)

In article <1990Mar6.163657.7550@me.toronto.edu> yap@me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) writes:
>Has anyone got a copy of the UNIX benchmarks discussed in the latest
>issue of Byte magazine.

	<snigger> are these benchmarks from the magazine that ues
Sieve of Eratosthenes as a compiler benchmark, and a Loutus-1-2-3
spreadsheet as a CPU benchmark ?

	Or is this the infamous Jerry Pournelle BASIC benchmark re-written
in C?

;-)
mjr.
--
	The second law of thermodynamics implies that the expression
	"good news" is an oxymoron.

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (03/07/90)

In article <22943@mimsy.umd.edu> mjr@atreus.umiacs.umd.edu (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:
>In article <1990Mar6.163657.7550@me.toronto.edu> yap@me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) writes:
>>Has anyone got a copy of the UNIX benchmarks discussed in the latest
>>issue of Byte magazine.
>
>	<snigger> are these benchmarks from the magazine that ues
>Sieve of Eratosthenes as a compiler benchmark, and a Loutus-1-2-3
>spreadsheet as a CPU benchmark ?

Sieve is not very interesting, but using a representative Lotus spreadsheet
calculation as a CPU benchmark is absolutely fine: it's certainly
relevant to what many people do with their computers.
UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (03/09/90)

From article <22943@mimsy.umd.edu>, by mjr@atreus.umiacs.umd.edu (Marcus J. Ranum):
> In article <1990Mar6.163657.7550@me.toronto.edu> yap@me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) writes:
>>Has anyone got a copy of the UNIX benchmarks discussed in the latest
>>issue of Byte magazine.
>
> 	<snigger> are these benchmarks from the magazine that ues
> Sieve of Eratosthenes as a compiler benchmark, and a Loutus-1-2-3
> spreadsheet as a CPU benchmark ?
>
> 	Or is this the infamous Jerry Pournelle BASIC benchmark re-written
> in C?

  Neither, It seems to be a complete rewrite in C. It takes into account
UNIX's multiple processes when bench testing.

   Here's some of the tests:
   Dhrystone 2  (with and without register vars)
   Sequential and Random memory access with incremental array sizes
   Arithmatic tests (short, long, float, doubles, ints)
   Process tests (system call overhead, pipe throughput, pipe switch
                  process creation, execl throughput)
   File system throughput (incremental sizes)
   Client/Server Database throughput (incremental number of client/servers)

 I did post the sources, along with compiled executeables for Xenix386 and
 UNIX 386 on my bbs. The file is 'Bbench.tar.Z' and is located in the
 unix_bench files area of the bbs. It is approx 800K, so please don't ask
 me to mail it.

---Bob
 P.S. <snigger>

--
Bob Palowoda  indetech!fiver!palowoda      *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|daisy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda            (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

drd@siia.mv.com (David Dick) (03/15/90)

mjr@atreus.umiacs.umd.edu (Marcus J. Ranum) writes:

>In article <1990Mar6.163657.7550@me.toronto.edu> yap@me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) writes:
>>Has anyone got a copy of the UNIX benchmarks discussed in the latest
>>issue of Byte magazine.

>	<snigger> are these benchmarks from the magazine that ues
>Sieve of Eratosthenes as a compiler benchmark, and a Loutus-1-2-3
>spreadsheet as a CPU benchmark ?

>	Or is this the infamous Jerry Pournelle BASIC benchmark re-written
>in C?

Good benchmarks are hard.  Byte hasn't done such a bad job, considering
the difficulty.  Their benchmarks are *much* better then the feature
lists much of the computer "consumer" press has sunk to.

David Dick
Software Innovations, Inc.  [the Software Moving Company(sm)]