[comp.arch] Portable Unix boxes was "Killer Micros"

amir@smsc.sony.com (Amir ) (03/07/90)

In article <00933399.8ACEFBE0@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU> sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
>The Japanese and Taiwanese and the Koreans (South, of course) all have
>plans to go do SPARC implementations; look for Toshiba to give us portable
>SPARC, Taiwan and Korea to give us $5K SPARC boxes which will compete with
>Sun and DECs low-end machines.

This brings up another topic.  Toshiba, as the poster mentioned, has long been
rumored to be making a "portable" SPARC systesm.  Can anyone speculate
as to how successful a *portable* Unix box would be specially  when
the competition is 286/386 machines that run both DOS and Unix
applications?  Off course, SPARC machine would run faster but what
kind of people would need the extra speed?

Note that I am not saying that this is not a good idea.  It is just that
what most people do with a portable machine can be done with current
intel based portables...

--
Amir H. Majidimehr
Operating Systems Group

sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) (03/07/90)

In article <1990Mar6.184634.14749@smsc.sony.com>, amir@smsc.sony.com (Amir ) writes:
>This brings up another topic.  Toshiba, as the poster mentioned, has long been
>rumored to be making a "portable" SPARC systesm.  Can anyone speculate
>as to how successful a *portable* Unix box would be specially  when
>the competition is 286/386 machines that run both DOS and Unix
>applications?  Off course, SPARC machine would run faster but what
>kind of people would need the extra speed?

The military might not mind having a few which run like lightening. With
the government push towards POSIX, portable UN*X boxes will eventually,
someday, find a niche.

>Note that I am not saying that this is not a good idea.  It is just that
>what most people do with a portable machine can be done with current
>intel based portables...

Weeel, how good is a UNIX box without a network to connect it to? This
might be the limiting factor in running portable UNIX since (in my finite
wisdom) UNIX boxes are either used for multiuser things, network things,
or workstation things which usually want 1024 x 768 or something equally
pretty which you won't find out of current LCD technology.

sauer@dell.dell.com (Charlie Sauer) (03/07/90)

In article <00933484.3084BF80@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU> sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
>Weeel, how good is a UNIX box without a network to connect it to? This

Some laptops, e.g., Dell 316LT, are capable of running Unix (in this case on
386SX) and are capable of being connected to LAN's/WAN's.  316LT has one
slot for standard PC half-length cards, e.g., Ethernet, 3270, ...
--
Charlie Sauer  Dell Computer Corp.     !'s:uunet!dell!sauer
               9505 Arboretum Blvd     @'s:sauer@dell.com

In article <1177@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl> ge@kunivv1.sci.kun.nl (Ge' Weijers) writes:
>... There is a limit, of course, but by using a 100Mhz wide band
>and decent modulation techniques quite a lot of 64Kbit connections can
>be managed. I'm not an expert on this by any means, but the EEC ...
>... have planned precisely such a network for the middle 90s, and
>I suspect the plan is perfectly feasible :-)

That plan probably is feasible; the trouble is that 64Kb/s is far below
the sort of speed many people would like to see.  Try fitting 10Mb/s
channels, or even 1Mb/s channels, in and it's not so easy any more.

Phone companies, accustomed to thinking in terms of modems, seem to feel
that 64Kb/s is an enormous data rate, as witness glowing predictions of
the wonders of ISDN.  And it actually is quite a respectable data rate
if you're thinking in terms of electronic mail, maybe a bit of Usenet
news :-), telnet, and the like.  For distributed applications, it's
nothing at all.  And yes, people will want do such things from their
laptops.
--
MSDOS, abbrev:  Maybe SomeDay |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
an Operating System.          | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

bzs@world.std.com (Barry Shein) (03/17/90)

>p.s. The relevance of any of this to comp.arch is that no matter how the
>parts of our chips or systems talk to each other, the channels are of
>finite bandwidth. And no matter how we encode the data in our registers,
>there will be noise introduced in moving that data. So at some level the
>Nyquist & Shannon limits put a cap on (sequential) computation speed.
>

>-----
>Rob Warnock, MS-9U/510		rpw3@sgi.com		rpw3@pei.com

Thanks for a good explanation Rob. I got all sorts of responses to
this, most trying to point out the Shannon Limit, some snidely, yes
all, I was aware of it, that's what I was referring to, people used
the Shannon limit to "prove" to me and others that you couldn't get
much more than 3Kb/s out of a voice-grade phone line.

But my point lies in your last phrase, and you're reference to things
like QPSK etc.

Just that it's a bit facile for someone to say "it's impossible to get
sufficient bandwidth out of a radio signal to make it interesting for
networking (no, not begging the question of "interesting".)

If I can send 10Kb/s on an RF channel, and I can get 1536 or so
channels to use then I can send (roughly, yeah yeah, preambles etc)
10K ethernet-equivalent packets per second, about 50% faster than the
theoretical limit of an ethernet which I'd call "interesting".

All I need is the ability to mux/demux 1536 RF channels (I believe the
speed is quite swallowable), is that utterly unfeasible? I don't think
so, might take some creativity with the spectrum to let a lot of
people do that. Isn't this the kind of thing the C3I spooks do all the
time? Maybe we can't talk about this.

The obvious thing is to use a few dozen more channels and do ethernet
style addressing in the chips and mux many people onto the same
channel band. Then the FCC probably only has to approve a few ranges
or some such thing per metropolitan area. Eavesdropping of course begs
for encryption, so don't start that.

Anyhow, never say never. I guess.
--
        -Barry Shein