[comp.arch] Benchmarks for Register Windows Study

karlton@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (Karlton Lau) (03/17/90)

I'm working on a research project which will try to optimize the number
of frames that are bumped/restored during overflows/underflows in an
architecture with overlapping multiple register sets.  In order to
do this I need some procedure-intensive benchmarks on which I can do
trace studies.

I am wondering if there is such a thing as a benchmark program which has
a "typical" profile of procedure calls (in terms of depth and number).
If anyone can suggest where I might be able to find something like this,
or has some benchmark which they think would fit the bill and which they
would be willing to let me have, I would appreciate hearing from you.

	Thanks in advance!

frazier@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (Greg Frazier) (03/17/90)

In article <6977@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> karlton@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (Karlton Lau) writes:

>I'm working on a research project which will try to optimize the number
>of frames that are bumped/restored during overflows/underflows in an
>architecture with overlapping multiple register sets.  In order to
>do this I need some procedure-intensive benchmarks on which I can do
>trace studies.

Make sure you do a good literature search before you try to
publish anything.  A lot of work has been done in this area.
If I recall what I have read, without doing anything tricky
the optimal number of frames to save/restore is 1.  Of course,
if you are doing something tricky, or if it is real expesive
to load the code to save/restore regs on whatever architecture
you are exploring, then your mileage will vary.  Unfortunately,
I do not have the reference handy, but if I find it, I'll post
it.  Oh, and if your interested in procedure-intensive
benchmarks, try Towers of Hanoi.  Not a very realistic benchmark,
but there you go.
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Greg Frazier				"Big A, little a / What begins with A?
frazier@CS.UCLA.EDU			Aunt Annie's Alligator / A ... a ... A"
!{ucbvax,rutgers}!ucla-cs!frazier			_Dr._Seuss's_ABCs_

In article <6977@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> karlton@wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu (Karlton Lau) writes:
>I am wondering if there is such a thing as a benchmark program which has
>a "typical" profile of procedure calls (in terms of depth and number).

I think you are better off trying to use a variety of programs, rather
than just one.  Call behavior varies greatly.
--
MSDOS, abbrev:  Maybe SomeDay |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
an Operating System.          | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu