[comp.arch] New RISC Graphics for Macs

brett@cayman.amd.com (Brett Stewart) (03/20/90)

The following information is the text of a product announcement
concerning the use of a RISC processor, the Am29000, in new Mac
graphic solutions from Apple.

Many people feel such announcements are inappropriate for the net,
while others feel that such announcements are emminently net-worthy.
If you are among those who object to product-related postings,
please type 'q' to exit the pager without viewing it.
Best Regards; Brett Stewart
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.           1-512-462-5321  FAX
5900 E. Ben White Blvd MS561           1-512-462-4336  Telephone
Austin, Texas 78741

AMD's RISC PROCESSOR USED IN NEW GRAPHICS ACCELERATOR CARD FROM APPLE

--- Am29000 helps make QuickDraw environment up to 30 times faster ---

SUNNYVALE, CA -- MARCH 19, 1990 -- Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. today
announced that its Am2000(tm) 32-BIT RISC microprocessor is integrated
into Apple Computer Inc.'s new high-performance graphics display card
being announced today.  Apple's Macintosh Display Card 8*24 GC, which
uses the Am29000, is the first significant use of a RISC (reduced
instruction set computer) microprocessor in a high-volume personal
computer application.

The Macintosh Display Card 8*24 GC is a graphics coprocessor and
24-bit video card that accelerates the responsiveness of all Macintosh
applications -- especially graphics-intensive ones.  It is compatible
with all modular Macintosh(r) computers (II, IIx, IIcx, IIci, IIfx).

"Apple's use of the Am29000 in their new graphics card is evidence of
the value RISC technology can bring to the personal computer market in
a non-CPU application," said Subodh Toprani, director of marketing for
AMD's embedded processor division.  "It is an excellent example of how
CISC (complex instruction set computer) and RISC can work together in
today's office environment and strong confirmation of our embedded
processor strategy."

The Macintosh Display Card 8*24 GC increases graphics performance by
implementing the fast coprocessing capabilities of a dedicated
Am29000.  It supports full 24-bit true color on the AppleColor
High-Resolution RGB Monitor and full 256-level true gray scale on all
Apple(r) displays.

The new apple card takes advantage of the power of the
high-performance Am29000 (29K(tm)) to work in conjunction with the
system's central processing unit (CPU).  This allows the CPU to work
on other tasks while the 29K-based card executes graphics commands.
Depending on the application, the card accelerates the Macintosh
computer's QuickDraw-based graphics by five to 30 times over typical
Macintosh drawing speeds.  Additionally, the card will be able to
incorporate new graphics innovations as they become available because
the Am29000 processor is initialized through a QuickDraw(tm) software
file.  The GC card will be able to take advantage of future QuickDraw
enhancements simply by replacing the file.

"From the beginning, our objective for our new display cards has been
to raise the standard of graphics on the Macintosh.  The GC card's
combination of graphics acceleration and 24-bit color enables
Macintosh users to work as easily with photo-quality images as with
black and white images in many different types of applications," said
Mark Gonzales, graphics hardware product manager at Apple, "We chose
to use the Am29000 because it can be programmed to do a great many
different things and do them quickly.  The general purpose processing
capabilities of the Am29000 were key to achieving our goal of
extending the capabilities of Macintosh users."

"Apple has always been the leader and innovator in the world of
graphics," said Toprani, "We are pleased that AMD and the 29k can play
a part in thier continuing efforts to bring increased levels of
performance to the Macintosh environment."

AMD has targeted the 29k at the embedded systems market -- which
includes applications such as graphics, networking, laser printers and
scanners -- and has recorded more that 200 design wins to date.
Embedded processors are used to augment the processing capabilities of
central processors by providing shared processing power for specific
applications.  For example, a networked office environment could
utilize three embedded processors -- one each as a network controller,
graphics controller and laser printer controller -- to support the
single CPU System.

According to recent estimates from In-Stat, a market research firm
based in Scottsdale, Arizona, the embedded systems market for 32-bit
RISC microporcessors will comprise 80 percent of the entire 32-bit
RISC market in 1992.

The 29K family of products - 16, 20, 25, and 33MHz processors -- and
the Am29005, a low-end version of the Am29000, give users the ability
to develop systems that range in performance from six to 25 MIPS.  The
low price of the processor combined with its ability to interface to
low-cost memory devices makes it attractive for cost-sensitive
consumer electronic applications like graphics and laser printers.

Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. one of the five largest U.S. - based
manufacturers of integrated circuits, produces microprocessors and
related peripherals, memories, programmble logic devices and circuits
for telecommunications, office automation and networking applications.
AMD has sales offices worldwide, and has manufacturing facilities in
Sunnyvale and Santa Clara, California; Austin, Texas; Atsugi, Japan;
Penang, Malaysia; Singaproe; Bangkok; Thailand; and Basingstoke,
England.  In its fiscal year ended December 31, 1989, AMD reported
sales of more than $1.1 billion.

                               ###

Readers may call John Peskuric at (512)462-5226 for more information.

Am29000 and 29K are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Apple and Macintosh are registered trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.
QuickDraw is a trademark of Apple Computer, Inc.

nrjwong@lion.waterloo.edu (03/21/90)

In article <29560@amdcad.AMD.COM> brett@cayman.AMD.COM (Brett Stewart) writes:
>The following information is the text of a product announcement
>concerning the use of a RISC processor, the Am29000, in new Mac
>graphic solutions from Apple.

[Stuff Deleted]

>The new apple card takes advantage of the power of the
>high-performance Am29000 (29K(tm)) to work in conjunction with the
>system's central processing unit (CPU).  This allows the CPU to work
>on other tasks while the 29K-based card executes graphics commands.
>Depending on the application, the card accelerates the Macintosh
>computer's QuickDraw-based graphics by five to 30 times over typical
>Macintosh drawing speeds.  Additionally, the card will be able to
>incorporate new graphics innovations as they become available because
>the Am29000 processor is initialized through a QuickDraw(tm) software
>file.  The GC card will be able to take advantage of future QuickDraw
>enhancements simply by replacing the file.

How about using the 29K for some non-display work? I know of
a guy who is trying to use the Amiga's blitter to encode
bytes for a custom  floppy disk format.
[ From a poor student, longing for a Yarc NuSuper. :-)]

[Stuff Deleted]

So are there any wait states in the IIfx?

When will the logic board upgrade be available? A Cdn newspaper,
well not a newspaper really - it's the Toronto Sun :-), quotes
about $4500 Cdn for the upgrade. From a $2999 U.S. list price.
Ouch!

From the Mac IIfx press release:
What are Mac IIfx-specific DRAMs? Are they just faster? What speed
SIMMs(I assume SIMMs are still being used) should one stick into a IIfx?
The new keyboard:
Is it available separately? Will it replace the current extended keyboard?

What's the SCSI transfer rate now?
Are ROMS soldered in or are they SIMMs?
Does the IIfx have the IIci's built-in video (from the press
release, it looks like a no)?
Have you guys gone back to the heavier balls in the mice or
are they still light as a feather (so to speak)?

Video cards press release:
Re: Apple Convolution: Is this NTSC output direct from the video card?

The press release talks about the  VRAM kit giving
the 4.8 video card true color and true gray scale of the 8.24.
Does this mean 24-bit colour?

How about responses from people who actually have IIfx's?

These product announcements address
some of the more common complaints I've had w.r.t. Apple's
heavy-duty mutli-media campaign. The 8.24 GC video card
can only help improve the Mac's multimedia performance. Now,
if only the sound were just as good...(it's available but
not easily accessible).

Just extremely curious,

Johnny Lee
jlee4@orchid.waterloo.edu or nrjwong@lion.waterloo.edu

dwb@archer.apple.com (David W. Berry) (03/22/90)

In article <22297@watdragon.waterloo.edu> nrjwong@lion.waterloo.edu () writes:
>So are there any wait states in the IIfx?
	Nope.  Not from the cache, I don't know about main store.

>From the Mac IIfx press release:
>What are Mac IIfx-specific DRAMs? Are they just faster? What speed
>SIMMs(I assume SIMMs are still being used) should one stick into a IIfx?
>The new keyboard:
>Is it available separately? Will it replace the current extended keyboard?
	I'm pretty sure they are the same 80 ns, fast page mode
	simms required by the Mac IIci

>What's the SCSI transfer rate now?
	Up to 30 mbit/sec

>Are ROMS soldered in or are they SIMMs?
	Same rom simms as on the IIci

>Does the IIfx have the IIci's built-in video (from the press
>release, it looks like a no)?
	Nope.

>The press release talks about the  VRAM kit giving
>the 4.8 video card true color and true gray scale of the 8.24.
>Does this mean 24-bit colour?
	Yes.

	David W. Berry			A/UX Toolbox Engineer
	dwb@apple.com

baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) (03/22/90)

[]
>In article <7324@goofy.Apple.COM> dwb@archer.apple.com (David W. Berry) writes:
>>From the Mac IIfx press release:
>>What are Mac IIfx-specific DRAMs? Are they just faster? What speed
>>SIMMs(I assume SIMMs are still being used) should one stick into a IIfx?

>	I'm pretty sure they are the same 80 ns, fast page mode
>	simms required by the Mac IIci

Actually, I believe the SIMMs are non-standard, w/64 pins. The reason for this
has something to do with write-buffering.

--
		  baum@apple.com		(408)974-3385
{decwrl,hplabs}!amdahl!apple!baum

jrg@Apple.COM (John R. Galloway Jr.) (03/22/90)

In article <7324@goofy.Apple.COM> dwb@archer.apple.com (David W. Berry) writes:
>In article <22297@watdragon.waterloo.edu> nrjwong@lion.waterloo.edu () writes:
>>So are there any wait states in the IIfx?
>	Nope.  Not from the cache, I don't know about main store.
>
>>From the Mac IIfx press release:
>>What are Mac IIfx-specific DRAMs? Are they just faster? What speed
>>SIMMs(I assume SIMMs are still being used) should one stick into a IIfx?
>>The new keyboard:
>>Is it available separately? Will it replace the current extended keyboard?
>	I'm pretty sure they are the same 80 ns, fast page mode
>	simms required by the Mac IIci

From March AppleDirect page 9 "the IIfx use 64 pin DRAM SIMMS to allow
                                            **
this [dump and run] concurrent operation".  I assume the IIci uses standard
30 pin SIMMS like the Mac II, IIx, and IIcx.  They are 80ns page mode.
	-jrg

--
internet   jrg@apple.com      John R. Galloway, Jr.
applelink  d3413              CEO..receptionist

These are my views, NOT Apple's, I am a GUEST here, not an employee!!

toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) (03/22/90)

After looking at the product blurb with a photo of the motherboard, I can
assure you the SIMMs in the IIfx are 64 pinners.

I think it has to do with the fact that the previous SIMMs don't have enough
pins to go above 4 Megs, and they want the IIfx to handle 16 meg SIMMs when
they come out.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ tybalt.caltech.edu

lee@mrmoose.wbst128.xerox.com (Lee Moore) (03/23/90)

In article <7324@goofy.Apple.COM> dwb@archer.apple.com (David W. Berry) writes:
>In article <22297@watdragon.waterloo.edu> nrjwong@lion.waterloo.edu () writes:
>>From the Mac IIfx press release:
>>What are Mac IIfx-specific DRAMs? Are they just faster? What speed
>>SIMMs(I assume SIMMs are still being used) should one stick into a IIfx?

According to "Apple Direct", March 1990, page 11, upper right hand corner:

"Are you wondering whether or not your current SIMMs will work in the
Macintosh IIfx?  Unfortuately, the answer is definitive no.  The new SIMM design
has separate RAM data input and output lines; this allows the memory
to run much faster (see main text), but it also necessitates a new
physical design to add the extra lines to the connector."

"The Macintosh IIfx works only with 1-Mbit or higher chips.  This means that
the computer cannot contain odd memory configuratoins such as 1, 2, and 5MB,
all of which use the less-dense 256-Kbit chips."

Lee Moore -- Xerox Webster Research Center -- +1 716 422 2496
UUCP:		{allegra, cornell, decvax, rutgers}!rochester!rocksanne!lee
Arpa Internet:	Moore.Wbst128@Xerox.Com

aperez@cvbnet.UUCP (Arturo Perez x6739) (03/23/90)

From article <22297@watdragon.waterloo.edu>, by nrjwong@lion.waterloo.edu:
> In article <29560@amdcad.AMD.COM> brett@cayman.AMD.COM (Brett Stewart) writes:
>>The following information is the text of a product announcement
>>concerning the use of a RISC processor, the Am29000, in new Mac
>>graphic solutions from Apple.
>>
> [Stuff Deleted]
>>
>>The new apple card takes advantage of the power of the
>>high-performance Am29000 (29K(tm)) to work in conjunction with the
>>system's central processing unit (CPU).  This allows the CPU to work
>>on other tasks while the 29K-based card executes graphics commands.

Are all of the new Apple graphics cards Risc based?

What are the differences amonst them?

Do they replace the video card I have or do I still need it?

If I buy the "weakest", "cheapest" or whatever-you-want-to-call-it
card can I upgrade it all the way to the whiz-bangiest?

What mail order houses are stocking these things?

Arturo Perez
ComputerVision, a division of Prime
aperez@cvbnet.prime.com
Too much information, like a bullet through my brain -- The Police

baum@Apple.COM (Allen J. Baum) (03/23/90)

[]
>In article <1990Mar22.052024.236@spectre.ccsf.caltech.edu> toddpw@tybalt.caltech.edu (Todd P. Whitesel) writes:
>After looking at the product blurb with a photo of the motherboard, I can
>assure you the SIMMs in the IIfx are 64 pinners.
>
>I think it has to do with the fact that the previous SIMMs don't have enough
>pins to go above 4 Megs, and they want the IIfx to handle 16 meg SIMMs when
>they come out.

All 30-pin simms have 12 address bits, which allow 16Meg chips. The 64 pinners
allow separate data-in & out lines, for dummp&run writes