[comp.arch] Centralized vs distributed computing

C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU ("Eric Edwards") (03/21/90)

Large, shared, systems seem to be good for
1) large, compute intensive tasks
2) large, IO intensive tasks
3) tasks in which data must be shared with other users.
And are poor at
1) User interaction
2) small jobs that need to have a predictable completion time.

Wheras, single user systems excel at the second group and come up short on the
first.  So.....  Why not combine the two.

Use smaller, cheaper, and less capable micros to provide the user interface and
 run small jobs.  When the going gets tough they could send the job to central
supercomputer.  A smaller central machine would be needed then would be
required with a strictly centralized system.  Not only do the actual cycles not
 goint to supporting the user interface but also  becuase the system could run
close to capasity.  Response time is not much of an issue if the jobs are slow
anyway.  You still waste mips on the micros but since they are smaller machines
 and probably not state of the art machines the mips they waste cost less.
Also, the communication links don't need as much capicity.

|****/ Eric Edwards  (prefered)    | Of course ada is good for large ^****|
|***/ c506634@umcvmb.missouri.edu  | programs.  All Ada programs are  ^***|
|***^ c506634@umcvmb.bitnet        | large!                           /***|
|****^ csh> ls -l Ada/* => -rw-r--r-- 1 c170234 85992 Ada/HelloWorld /****|

xxremak@csduts1.lerc.nasa.gov (David A. Remaklus) (03/21/90)

In article <9003210649.AA06750@jade.berkeley.edu> C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU ("Eric Edwards") writes:
>Large, shared, systems seem to be good for
>1) large, compute intensive tasks
>2) large, IO intensive tasks
>3) tasks in which data must be shared with other users.
>And are poor at
>1) User interaction
>2) small jobs that need to have a predictable completion time.
>
>Wheras, single user systems excel at the second group and come up short on the
>first.  So.....  Why not combine the two.

Checkout TCF (Transparent Computing Facility) proposed by IBM for the
AIX platforms.  While I don't have the specifics myself, they seem to
have created a "seamless" path from the PS/2 through the 3090.
Essentially, they create shadowed files where multiple execution images
appear under the same name.  To illustrate, consider the program /bin/sh.
With TCF, there is a common NFS like file system between the various
platforms (PS/2, RT, RS600, 3090, etc).  Through a normal directory
list, a user would only see a single /bin/sh, when actually there could
be an executable for each.  Which ever platform you were running on is the
executable chosen.

The really neat feature is the case where an executable does
not exist for your platform.  In that case, an executable for a different
platform is chosen and automatically executed there without you having
logged into the machine.  This is best seen in the case of a.out files
where you may be logged into a PS/2 where you edit, compile and link,
but what you created was perhaps a 3090 executable.  When you run it,
it executes on the 3090 without your being aware that it did.

IBM did a song and dance on this thing at a recent SHARE meeting that
I think was last year (89).  The presentation material ought to be in
the proceedings.  The really sad thing is, that true to form, IBM doesn't
appear willing to release the specs for TCF into the public domain.  Its
a real shame as I have never seen anything like it since.

Dave R.
--
David A. Remaklus
NASA Lewis Research Center

merriman@ccavax.camb.com (03/22/90)

In article <9003210649.AA06750@jade.berkeley.edu>,
    C506634@UMCVMB.MISSOURI.EDU ("Eric Edwards") writes:

> . . .
>
> Use smaller, cheaper, and less capable micros to provide the user interface and
>  run small jobs.  When the going gets tough they could send the job to central
> supercomputer.  A smaller central machine would be needed then would be
> required with a strictly centralized system.  Not only do the actual cycles not
>  goint to supporting the user interface but also  becuase the system could run
> close to capasity.  Response time is not much of an issue if the jobs are slow
> anyway.  You still waste mips on the micros but since they are smaller machines
>  and probably not state of the art machines the mips they waste cost less.

Sounds like a Local Area Vax Cluster with DECnet/DOS for the PC-type machines.

> Also, the communication links don't need as much capicity.
It turns out that anything less that Ethernet is a drag because of file
transfer times.

usenet@nlm-mcs.arpa (usenet news poster) (03/22/90)

What you want on your desk is enough computing to support your environment
(windows, editors etc.) because that is where keystroke response time matters.
It is also the computing you use in a continuous mode (as opposed to bursts).

What you want the net for is access to specialized processors (database
servers, floating point engines, parallel nets etc.) because these are
the sorts of things you use in bursts and can't afford to put on your
desk anyway.

There are lots of systems going in this direction (Vax clusters, IBM's trans-
parent computing interface, diskless workstation local networks, +-X-terminal
local nets).  The problem is standardization.  You don't get the benefit
of the net if your local processor can't talk effectively with the
resource you want.
				David States
				(standard discalimer, views are my own only)

Ewing@yale.edu (Martin Ewing) (03/22/90)

In article <1990Mar21.142014.20419@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov>
xxremak@csduts1.lerc.nasa.gov (David A. Remaklus) writes:
> Checkout TCF (Transparent Computing Facility) proposed by IBM for the
> AIX platforms.  While I don't have the specifics myself, they seem to
> have created a "seamless" path from the PS/2 through the 3090.

I am not sure whether we need/want "seamless".  A hierarchical situation
is attractive, however.  Central/decentral doesn't have to be either-or.
I really don't want to run Excel or Lotus 1-2-3 (/M notwithstanding) on a central machine.  Responsiveness and privacy favor my local Mac.  For a big simulation program, or the company payroll, you go to the mainframe.

Another factor is cost and flexibility of software.  I can go out and buy
package X for my little system for $100, while for a big system you're
talking $10K and a lot of persuasion.

Martin Ewing
Yale C&IS Science and Engineering Computing Facility
203-432-4243, Ewing@Yale.Edu

jkrueger@dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Jon) (03/23/90)

xxremak@csduts1.lerc.nasa.gov (David A. Remaklus) writes:

>Checkout TCF (Transparent Computing Facility) proposed by IBM for the
>AIX platforms.

Oh, I've proposed it for all computers from the eniac to the MIPS
R3000.  Since neither I nor IBM has shipped any product, let's
propose 'till the cows come home.

-- Jon
--
Jonathan Krueger    jkrueger@dtic.dla.mil   uunet!dgis!jkrueger
The Philip Morris Companies, Inc: without question the strongest