[comp.arch] Skunk works

gary@dgcad.SV.DG.COM (Gary Bridgewater) (04/07/90)

In article <2208@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
>aglew@dwarfs.csg.uiuc.edu (Andy Glew) says:
>
>|When I said the M88K was a "skunk works" project I meant nothing
>|derogatory.
>  The term "skunk works" comes from _Li'l Abner_, a comic strip later

Iterative refinement... _Barney Google_ , "skonk works" in the vernacular.
Where they worked on the Polecats. Not sure what they did with them.

A skunk works project is one that is allegedly done on the sly or has some
non-mainstream quality about it.  DG seems to specialize in this (ref. _Soul
of a New Machine_).  The self-congratulatory aspect of the term seems to be
a new interpretation.  Anyone who thinks the resources necessary to produce
a product like the 88k without management approval (or the DG MV series)
should avoid realtors from swampy or mountainous areas.

The 'realest' skunk works project I know of is probably Unix itself - and
it went on to become a registered trademark of AT&T.

Strangely, we never seem to hear of failed skunk works projects. Do we?

--
Gary Bridgewater, Data General Corporation, Sunnyvale California
gary@sv.dg.com or {amdahl,aeras,amdcad}!dgcad!gary