[comp.arch] CDC 6600 and its compilers

gkn@ucsd.Edu (Gerard K. Newman) (04/10/90)

In article <1887@speedy.mcnc.org> mjt@duck.ncsc.org (Mike Tighe) writes:
>No, SN1 is no longer in operation. It was recently returned to CRI to
>become a museum piece.

I think it's in the science museum at Los Alamos National Lab -- there
are bits and pieces of a CRAY-1 there, anyway.  There's also one in the
lobby of the new C Division building done in color-coordinated fabric...

Anyone from LANL know the real scoop?

gkn
San Diego Supercomputer Center

mjt@duck.ncsc.org (Mike Tighe) (04/15/90)

In article <13015@ucsd.Edu> gkn@ucsd.edu (Gerard K. Newman) writes:
>In article <1887@speedy.mcnc.org> mjt@duck.ncsc.org (Mike Tighe) writes:
>>No, SN1 is no longer in operation. It was recently returned to CRI to
>>become a museum piece.
>
>I think it's in the science museum at Los Alamos National Lab -- there
>are bits and pieces of a CRAY-1 there, anyway.  There's also one in the
>lobby of the new C Division building done in color-coordinated fabric...
>
>Anyone from LANL know the real scoop?

I stand behind my original statement. Here is the "real" scoop:

In March of 1976 CRI shipped SN1 to LANL. It was there for a 6 month trial
period. In October of 1976 SN1 was accepted by LANL. SN1 did not have
SECDED, and this shortcoming was communicated to CRI. SN2 which was already
in development, was never completed (as was previously mentioned).

SN3 became the first CRI machine to have SECDED. It went to NCAR. With
SECDED now available, LANL traded in SN1 for SN4, and the rest is history I
will not repeat here.

SN1 then went on to have a long lifetime. It visited a number of sites,
often as a loaner. Eventually, CRI realized they wanted SN1 back for
sentimental reasons, and SN1 was returned to CRI for their museum.

P.S. Since the history of SN1 has little to do with computer architecture,
I suggest all follow-ups go to comp.sys.cray or alt.folkore.computers, the
latter being a much more appropriate place for talk about SN1...
--
Michael Tighe, mjt@ncsc.org
               (919)-248-1157