[comp.arch] What they tried to do to the ETA 10

lm@snafu.Sun.COM (Larry McVoy) (05/02/90)

In article <318@necssd.NEC.COM> harrison@necssd.NEC.COM (Mark Harrison) writes:
>Here is the story I was told.  I have heard it in several versions, and
>classify it as an "urban legend."  If anyone can {clar,ver}ify this, please
>do.
>
>When IBM built the 360, it was as expensive to build a 16K memory board as
>a 32K memory board.  So, if your ordered a 16K memory board, you received
>a 32K memory board with 16K shorted out.  If you subsequently ordered the
>16K to 32K memory upgrade (for thousands of $$$), they sent a technician
>out to clip the wire that shorted out the memory.  Instant upgrade!

I can believe this.  When I was working on the mem driver (a long hard
project :-) at ETA systems I had a visit from some marketing dweebs that
wanted to know how hard it would be to make the software pretend that
half of shared mem (2 gigs) wasn't there.  When I quit laughing I noticed
that they weren't.  Yup.  Dead serious.

---
What I say is my opinion.  I am not paid to speak for Sun, I'm paid to hack.
    Besides, I frequently read news when I'm drjhgunghc, err, um, drunk.
Larry McVoy, Sun Microsystems     (415) 336-7627       ...!sun!lm or lm@sun.com