[comp.arch] Multiprocessing in your own PC lab

andrew@dtg.nsc.com (Lord Snooty @ The Giant Poisoned Electric Head ) (05/02/90)

<0093608E.3DCAF480@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU>, sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) :
> I know this will sound hairbrained, but you only live once...
> Couldn't you take a room full of workstations or PCs and (through the
> appropriate software) treat them as a one big parallel processing
> machine? Of course, you would have to set up a scheduler, figure out
> how to parallelize your code/problem accordingly ......

Not harebrained at all. Try IEEE Spectrum this month for the article by
David Gelernter, "Stealing Idle Cycles" (or close) in the context of Linda and
his "hypercomputer". It seems MIT Media Labs have something on these lines
already running.....
Andrew Palfreyman	andrew@dtg.nsc.com	Albania during April!

rackow@abacus.mcs.anl.gov (05/02/90)

In responce to the availablity of netlib, it has moved from
argonne to oak-ridge.

Netlib is a computer program that responds to electronic mail.  In particular
it responds to certain key words in the body of the electronic mail message.
Netlib is used to distribute public-domain mathematical software.

The machine running netlib at Argonne National Laboratory has moved to
Oak Ridge National Laboratory.  Therefore the old Argonne National Laboratory
address, netlib@mcs.anl.gov is no longer valid and mail for netlib should
be sent to the new Oak Ridge National Laboratory address, netlib@ornl.gov.
A machine at Bell Labs continues to run netlib as well.  The address there
is netlib@research.att.com.

To get started with netlib send a mail message to either netlib address
given above and include the single line  ``send index'' as the body of
the electronic mail message.

The contacts for netlib questions are Jack Dongarra (dongarra@cs.utk.edu)
at Oak Ridge National Laboratory and Eric Grosse (ehg@research.att.com) at
AT&T Bell Labs.

--The Argonne MCS division support staff (support@mcs.anl.gov)

Publius@dg.dg.com (Publius) (05/02/90)

In article <0093608E.3DCAF480@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU> sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
>I know this will sound hairbrained, but you only live once...
>
>Couldn't you take a room full of workstations or PCs and (through the
>appropriate software) treat them as a one big parallel processing
>machine? Of course, you would have to set up a scheduler, figure out
>how to parallelize your code/problem accordingly (obviously this wouldn't
>work for a linear-type problem), and be able to parse everything out on
>the network to each one of your nodes.
>
>You would also have to tolerate Ethernet as your 10Mb/second bus, something
>which the more religious would consider blasphmeous....but I guess it
>could be done.
>
>Need another set of nodes? Shut down a terminal room for a weekend ;-).
>
>				Doug

Well, there are two sorts of issues here.  One is hardware and the other
is software.
On the hardware side, a network of workstations and PCs do not share
memory at the machine code level.  Thus, you have totally different
programming model.  Of course, this can be overcome by implementing
virtual addressing across the network.  Then you need a lot of additional
software and what kind of performance you will get out of it is a
question.
On the software side, you have a network of operating systems, instead of
a network operating system.  Each operating system has control only over
its own resources.  Besides, there are problems like naming resolution,......

--
Disclaimer: I speak (and write) only for myself, not my employer.

Publius     "Old federalists never die, they simply change their names."
publius@dg-pag.webo.dg.com

schang@netcom.UUCP (Sehyo Chang) (05/02/90)

In article <E!sw=m7@cs.psu.edu> schwartz@numenor.endor.cs.psu.edu (Scott E. Schwartz) writes:
>In article <3841@munnari.oz.au> steve@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Steve Mabbs) writes:
>
>>Doug Mohney writes:
>>>Couldn't you take a room full of workstations or PCs and (through the
>>>appropriate software) treat them as a one big parallel processing
>
>>I have collected the following list of parallel programming packages
>>over the net recently.  Some of them may also be applicable.  Anyone care to
>>comment?
>>
>>Cosmic	- ?
>
>The Cosmic Environment, from Caltech.  This basically gives you the
>same development environment for your network of workstations as you
>get on an Intel hypercube.  It's very easy to use, but it can be
>fragile when faced with process/host/network failures.

The cosmic environment running on workstation is just simulator.  That
means you can't spawn process across another workstation which is idle.
There might be new version of cosmic which might let you hook up
multiple workstation.  Also cosmic is available for symult s2010

Basically, cosmic provide fully connected network of CSP processes point
of view to programmer(even though underlying topology might be
hypercube,ethernet,etc).  Basic modes of communication is through
message passing.  The message send is asynchrous while message receive
can be both synchrous and asynchrous.  One of the problem with cosmic
was that it didn't provide transparent byte-ordering(user have to
translate each message to host's byte order format).

--
Sehyo Chang						schang@netcom.uucp
Ascent Logic Corp.			  ucvbax!ames!claris!netcom!schang

In article <0093608E.3DCAF480@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU> sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) writes:
>Couldn't you take a room full of workstations or PCs and (through the
>appropriate software) treat them as a one big parallel processing
>machine? ...

Yes, sort of.  Many people have done this sort of thing.  The hard
part is the usual problem of replacing a pair of oxen with a hundred
chickens:  figuring out how to parallelize the problem in a way suited
to the hardware.
--
If OSI is the answer, what is |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
the question?? -Rolf Nordhagen| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

eugene@wilbur.nas.nasa.gov (Eugene N. Miya) (05/03/90)

Clue:
The best way to answer this is to note that
	if it were this easy, it would have been done by now.

Some problems and particular algorithms: it is possible and easy.
For problems of general interest the answer is NO.  Part of the problem
lies in software, another part in algorithms.  There is a vast body of
literature on why it will and why this won't work.  Hypercubes are part of the
PC approach.  But the software ain't there yet, and may never be.

Throwing more hardware onto an already "slow" problem can make it slower.

--e. nobuo miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eugene@orville.nas.nasa.gov
  {uunet,mailrus,other gateways}!ames!eugene

rpw3@rigden.wpd.sgi.com (Rob Warnock) (05/04/90)

In article <892@blenheim.nsc.com> andrew@dtg.nsc.com writes:
+---------------
| <0093608E.3DCAF480@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU>, sysmgr@KING.ENG.UMD.EDU (Doug Mohney) :
| > I know this will sound hairbrained, but you only live once...
| > Couldn't you take a room full of workstations or PCs and (through the
| > appropriate software) treat them as a one big parallel processing machine?
| Not harebrained at all. Try IEEE Spectrum this month for the article by
| David Gelernter, "Stealing Idle Cycles" (or close) in the context of Linda
| and his "hypercomputer". It seems MIT Media Labs have something on these
| lines already running.....
+---------------

Remember, the original Worm was fiction (John Brunner's "The Shockwave Rider")
but the first real one (well, first highly publicized operational one) was the
Xerox PARC Worm (published over a decade ago in CACM), which was exactly what
you describe: A distributed computation that would "borrow" idle machines, then
leave when their owners did something on them (touched keyboard or mouse).

"Oh, my god, professor! I thought I had all the proper containment safeguards
in place, but my distributed F9 factoring program has leaked out onto the
Internet! I'm gonna get arrested for sure! What am I going to DOOooo...?!?!?"

"Now, now, my son. Here, first call CERT and then the FBI, and then we'll see
if we can find you a lawyer who'll take your case."

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock, MS-9U/510		rpw3@sgi.com		rpw3@pei.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		(415)335-1673		Protocol Engines, Inc.
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA  94039-7311