[comp.arch] 68040 LINPACK numbers from Microprocessor Forum

aburto@marlin.NOSC.MIL (Alfred A. Aburto) (05/04/90)

In article <5913@scolex.sco.COM> seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) writes:

>*However*, even more impressively, are things like the
>FCOS instruction, which takes 97 cycles on the Cyrix, and 582 (!!!) on the
>'387.

Dropping from 582 to 97 is quite a step!  It is such a giant step one
wonders what magic is taking place.  Does it still yield the same
accuracy at 97 CC's as it did at 582 CC's ???

Al Aburto
aburto@marlin.nosc.mil

seanf@sco.COM (Sean Fagan) (05/06/90)

In article <1376@marlin.NOSC.MIL> aburto@marlin.nosc.mil.UUCP (Alfred A. Aburto) writes:
>Dropping from 582 to 97 is quite a step!  It is such a giant step one
>wonders what magic is taking place.

One realizes that Cyrix did the thing without microcode, and then one
realizes that 582 Cycles to 97 cycles isn't so incredible after all.

>Does it still yield the same
>accuracy at 97 CC's as it did at 582 CC's ???

Yes.  I think there are only a couple of instances where the Cyrix chip got
different answers from the Intel chip, and someone mentioned that the Intel
chip gets different answers from at least one FP emulator for DOS.

--
Sean Eric Fagan  | "It's a pity the universe doesn't use [a] segmented