[comp.arch] Any SPEC marks for Intel 80x86 Processors?

pjt@druhi.ATT.COM (Paul James Taysom) (05/06/90)

I have not yet seen any SPEC marks for the Intel 80x86 processor family.
I'm particulary interested in the integer subset of the SPEC marks
for the '486.
Thanks,
Paul James Taysom
AT&T Bell Labs
(303)538-4702

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (05/07/90)

In article <4776@druhi.ATT.COM> pjt@druhi.ATT.COM (Paul James Taysom) writes:
>I have not yet seen any SPEC marks for the Intel 80x86 processor family.
>I'm particulary interested in the integer subset of the SPEC marks
>for the '486.
SOmething like this was posted before:

From Intel's "i486(tm) Microprocessor Performance, Release 1.0, Feb '90,
Intel Corporation", p.27

25MHz i486, 128K write-back cache; C: Metaware High C; FORTRAN: SVS;
I forget the versions.

Code-seconds-ratio:
gcc	107	13.8
espresso 186	12.2
spice2g6 2731	8.8
doduc	324	5.8
nasa7	3456	5.8
li	370	16.8
eqntott	100	11.0
matrix300 477	9.5
fpppp	431	7.0
tomcatv	619	4.3

The geometric mean of the 4 integer SPECmarks (gcc,
espresso, li &eqntott) comes out at 13.3, vs. 19.7 for MIPS-25 (in M/2000).
(Thus, the faster RISCs are about 1.5X faster on integer,
and something like 2.5X faster on FP; as usual, FP varies more,
and ratios betweeen systems vary more.)

"For access to source programs & data files used in this study, please
contact Intel 386(TM)DX/i486 Microprocessor Technical Marketing group
at (408) 765-5767".
UUCP: 	 mash@mips.com OR {ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash
DDD:  	408-524-7015 or 408-720-1700