[comp.arch] Xenix address space

jerry@altos86.Altos.COM (Jerry Gardner) (05/25/90)

In article <1217.2656b909@gp.govt.nz> don@gp.govt.nz (Don Stokes) writes:

>The Amiga and other small system (ie no memory management) OSs do similar
>things, but have the rather severe limitation that all code running on
>them must be "well behaved".  This is generally fine for embedded systems
>etc, but hopeless for any serious timesharing, especially if the

>I suppose it comes back to the old question of "what is multi-user".  It
>could be argued that raw Unix, without any real schemes for controlling

A company that I worked for at one time, Qantel, sells large, multi-user
business computer systems based on an architecture that has no memory
protection at all.  And since there is no clock interrupt, the operating
system is not preemptive--tasks have to execute a task break system call
to return control to the operating system.

These systems support, in some cases, over 64 users--but at a price. Any
program that has not been extensively tested has a good chance of bringing
the machine to a grinding halt, and since there is no memory protection,
security is virtually nonexistant.

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos86!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway