[comp.arch] 6th Generation, Newspaper Article

jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) (05/25/90)

In article <May.16.15.58.28.1990.3802@klaatu.rutgers.edu> josh@klaatu.rutgers.edu (J Storrs Hall) writes:
>The Japanese computer industry's best friend is OUR government, which
>gleefully cuts off our own system builders to spite japan's chipmakers.

Don't forget our government's export restrictions on things like computers,
I remember when we couldn't sell 80286's to certain countries.  The Japanese
don't have these restrictions except in the case where they worry about the
U.S.'s reaction.  I wonder whats going to happen when (not if) they decide
to sell everything from memory chips to supercomputers to the Russians?
It won't be long before they realize that there isn't a whole lot this
government could do about it.

--
jim		jharkins@sagpd1

I *still* don't know who killed Laura Palmer!

hank@masscomp.ccur.com (Hank Cohen) (05/28/90)

In article <787@sagpd1.UUCP> jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) writes:

>Don't forget our government's export restrictions on things like computers,
>I remember when we couldn't sell 80286's to certain countries.  The Japanese
>don't have these restrictions except in the case where they worry about the
>U.S.'s reaction.  I wonder whats going to happen when (not if) they decide
>to sell everything from memory chips to supercomputers to the Russians?
>It won't be long before they realize that there isn't a whole lot this
>government could do about it.

Mr. Harkins seems to be misinformed.  Japan follows exactly the same
COCOM export restrictions that the US does.  They do not appear to be
subject to the more arbitrary restrictions of things such as
encryption software that are the result of NSA regulations.  They do
this not only because of their "worry about the U.S.'s reaction" but
because of thier own sense of self interest.  Remember that Japan has
yet to sign a peace treaty with the USSR after WW II and there is
still a very thorny issue of captured territory that the Japanese hope
to use high tech trade as a lever to negotiate.
	 Sorry to take up space in this newsgroup for such unrelated
subjects.  Followups should go somewhere else (preferably some group
that I don't read.) :-)

Hank Cohen
Concurrent Nippon Corp.