[comp.arch] Why IBM went for the 8088 -- The Untold Story

wargopl@image.soe.clarkson.edu (Peter L. Wargo) (05/25/90)

From article <451@isgtec.UUCP>, by bmw@isgtec.UUCP (Bruce Walker):
> In article <1990May23.154706.16476@sq.sq.com> ian@sq.sq.com (Ian F. Darwin) writes:
>> In fact, dozens or hundreds of people used SC-DOS before IBM bought it from
>> Microsoft who in turn bought it from a small company named Seattle
>> Computing. Microsoft changed the name to obliterate the history,
>> [...]. SC-DOS was originally a clone of CP/M, but done for the 8086,
>
> More evidence of this turns up in the comment blocks within the example
> drivers provided with the old MSDOS V2.00 OEM Developers disks.  The example
> floppy disk driver and format code mentions Seattle Computing's machine by
> name and provides equates for their S100 based disk controller.
>
> Also, to this day, one of the magic cookie disk-type values (0xf8 thru 0xff,
> found in the boot block) means eight-inch floppy -- ever see an 8" floppy on
> any MSDOS machine? The Seattle Computing machine had them!

Ever see a Zenith Z-100?  MS-DOS (up to 3.0) and can use 8" sloppies.  Most
I've seen are running 2.0, tho.  (I got two Shugart 8" drives from a RS MOD 2
to run just by plugging them in. Ahh, good ol' SASI....)

Pete

--
Peter L. Wargo - wargopl@sun.soe.clarkson.edu, amoung others...
"I don't believe it - I just spent 4 years at an expensive university-

dmt@pegasus.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (05/25/90)

In article <1990May23.154706.16476@sq.sq.com> ian@sq.sq.com (Ian F. Darwin) writes:
>Eric S. Raymond (eric@snark.uu.net) writes a very interesting tale...
>I can only add one minor quibble...
	... and I'd like to add a minor quibble or two.  In general,
	Ian's article was on the money.

>In fact, dozens or hundreds of people used SC-DOS before IBM bought it from
>Microsoft who in turn bought it from a small company named Seattle
>Computing. Microsoft changed the name to obliterate the history...
	I'm un-fond of Microsoft myself, but let's be fair about
	motive.  Microsoft bought the rights (and the code) from
	Seattle Computing (SC...), and the resulting product was
	Microsoft's (MS...).  I don't think "obliterating history"
	was ever a consideration in the name change.

>SC-DOS was originally a clone of CP/M, but done for the 8086,
>the 8088's faster sibling...
	You're being slightly misleading about the 8086 vs. 8088 here.
	They're software-identical, and both chips were available in
	a variety of clock rates.  At the same clock rate, the only
	difference is that the 8086 has a 16-bit bus to the 8088's
	8-bit bus.  Your impression probably results from the facts that:
	   -	Many 8086 machines of the era were made with the
		8 MHz part, whereas IBM chose either cheap chips
		or very conservative design to run their 8088 at
		4.7 MHz.
	   -	The difference in bus width alone makes 8086 machines
		run "typical" programs about 40% faster than 8088
		machines at the same clock rate.

>...that was becoming the CPU base of many of the
>forgotten micro makers that IBM drove out of business in the first few years
>of selling PC's.
	In fact, there were some 8086-based clones, whose market was
	made, not killed, by the IBM PC.  Consider the AT&T PC6300 (actually
	an Olivetti machine).  It used an 8 MHz 8086, and was as
	faithful a clone as most of the clones of that generation.
	It not only ran the software for the IBM, but accepted its
	(8-bit bus) add-on boards.  Yes, there were a few incompatibilities,
	but there were similar "bugs" in other first-try clones using
	the 8088.

	Does anyone know of any other 8086-based XT clones (not made by
	Olivetti), or is this the only counter-example to Ian's
	statement?

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Lincroft, NJ			|
|    Logical -  ...att!pegasus!dmt				|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2194					|

hankd@ee.ecn.purdue.edu (Hank Dietz) (05/25/90)

In article <1990May23.154706.16476@sq.sq.com> ian@sq.sq.com (Ian F. Darwin) writes:
>Many of those micro makers based their products on what was then called the
>S100 bus. Early S100 systems were plagued by inter-vendor incompatibilities,

Yes and no.  Companies like Cromemco and NorthStar had some extensions which
allowed for things like bank-switched memory (up to 512K on a z80!) and
these extensions were often not compatible, but most S100 boards could
pretty much be pulled from one system and stuck in another at will (although
in those days the user might be expected to cut a board trace or two... ;-).
The S100 boards were also a good size (not too big, not too small) and there
were plenty of boards available to do interesting things like analog I/O.
It was mostly the later S100 machines (e.g., 16-bit) that made the IEEE
standard necessary.  Ah...  the good old days when machines were simple.

						-hankd@ecn.purdue.edu

PS: The big problem I remember from way back was that timing for the
    parallel printer interface was not standardized so you often would have
    to throw a little circuit into your printer cable.  This was why most of
    us simply avoided parallel printers back then.  Serial current loop was
    much more standard.  :-)

crmeyer@voodoo.ucsb.edu (05/26/90)

In article <4790@pegasus.ATT.COM>, dmt@pegasus.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) writes...

>	Does anyone know of any other 8086-based XT clones (not made by
>	Olivetti)

The Compaq Deskpro uses a 8086 running at 8 Mhz. Unfortunatly, contrary to
commonly held belief, it is usually software compatable but is very picky
about hardware (it HATES hercules graphics cards and EMS cards when a hard
drive is installed).

pypaz@warwick.ac.uk (Larry Bauer) (05/26/90)

In article <4790@pegasus.ATT.COM> dmt@pegasus1.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) writes:

>>SC-DOS was originally a clone of CP/M, but done for the 8086,
>>the 8088's faster sibling...
>	You're being slightly misleading about the 8086 vs. 8088 here.
>	They're software-identical, and both chips were available in

Being slightly pedantic here, but there is at least one *important*
software related difference between the 8088 and the 8086. The prefetch queue
on the 8088 is 4 instructions and on the 8086 is 6 (or is it 6 and 8?).
This may seem a trivial difference, but self-modifying code that patches
itself really close to the program counter operates somewhat differently on
the two machines. It also takes a long time to find this in the manuals
when debugging...

Who me...write self-modifying code? but that's *bad* programming practice 8-)

--larry

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (05/27/90)

eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) writes:
>Unfortunately for us all, the "next machine farther up" was a doomed turkey
>called the System/23, a dedicated word-processing machine like the old Lanier
>boxes that ran a customized version of Z-80 CP/M off of *slow* 8-inch floppies.
>IBM chose the 8088 design to be *less capable* than the System/23.

No, no, it must have been something else.  The System/23 Datamaster is
an obvious predecessor to the IBM PC (they keyboard for the PC and the
Datamaster are *identical* except for the keycaps on the function
keys) but the /23 was already out of production before the PC was
around.  The program was a terrible failure.

The /23 was junk.  EBCDIC, 128k, 2 8" floppies (loud as hell), a
printer that was so integral to the system that it wouldn't boot
without it being on, with keyboard, CRT, and floppies all in the same
unit.  It looked a lot like an h-19 terminal but squarer and larger.

The only language the thing ran was BASIC, by far the strangest
dialect I've ever seen.  It had an awful lot of fortran-style I/O
functionality in it so it was trivial to write report generators.

The operating system seemed to be based around the BASIC interpreter,
much like many micros (eg Apple).  It was definitely custom.

All system and programming errors were indicated by a four-digit
number in the status bar at the bottom of the screen (very 3270-ish
but the line didn't have any funky symbols, just text).  There was a
seven-volume documentation set, one volume gave you plain english
translations for the numbers.  Paired with the error was an action
code which told you what you could do to correct the error.

Not a lot of people bought the /23 since it was very expensive, had no
software or compilers, was fairly unreliable, and extremely slow.  I
believe the program was canned within a year of its release.

I modified a record-keeping system on a /23 in around 1983.  They'd
had the machine for about 5 years, I think, although the details are
kind of fuzzy.  That would put its release a year or two ahead of the
IBM-PC.  The owner of the machine said that IBM had dropped support
for the box almost immediately, although there was support available
from at least one third-party vendor.

The PC was a natural follow-up to this thing -- if the original
keyboards weren't manufactured from leftover /23 keyboards, I'll eat
my vegetables.

The internal competition decision (pick the slow one so that it
doesn't hurt higher-end sales) sounds right, it's affected most of
IBM's new "personal" machines right up to the PS/2 line and (if my
rumors are correct) was a hotly debated point in the RIOS design (you
might note that the RIOS can potentially be made quite a bit faster
with a simple field-upgrade, so I think they pushed the current market
MIPS envelope and left room for growth, probably a smart idea).  I
just don't think the /23 had anything to do with the decision.

In my mind, hell would be forced to write code for the /23 again.  I
hope never to see one of the retched things again.

Happy hacking,

jim frost
saber software
jimf@saber.com

bmw@isgtec.UUCP (Bruce Walker) writes:
>ever see an 8" floppy on any MSDOS machine?

Sure have -- I put one on the machine myself to transfer data files
between an AT and a System/32.  Quite a lot of fun, actually.  This
was in 1984 or 1985, I think.

jim frost
saber software
jimf@saber.com

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (05/27/90)

In article <451@isgtec.UUCP> bmw@isgtec.UUCP (Bruce Walker) writes:
>Also, to this day, one of the magic cookie disk-type values (0xf8 thru 0xff,
>found in the boot block) means eight-inch floppy -- ever see an 8" floppy on
>any MSDOS machine? The Seattle Computing machine had them!

Yup! I did.  Put a pair of 8" drives on an original PC (the one with the tape
connector) to go along with the 5" drives.  8"s were SO MUCH faster.

About the only controller to do this was from Maynard, who are now into tape
drives as opposed to peripheral boards.   Used Tall Tree's J-format an it
hummed right along.

bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

bmw@isgtec.UUCP (Bruce Walker) (05/28/90)

In article <4790@pegasus.ATT.COM> dmt@pegasus1.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) writes:
> 	Does anyone know of any other 8086-based XT clones (not made by
> 	Olivetti), or is this the only counter-example to Ian's
> 	statement?

Well, yes: the IBM PS/2 Model 30 (and 25) is an XT clone with an 8MHz 8086
that accepts 8 bit ISA boards.

A few others exist; predating the IBM entry (and possibly the Olivetti) was
the BEST Mark III from a small Canadian manufacturer (Exceltronics).

The only really tricky part about achieving compatibility with the 8088 XT
is the "bus bridging" circuit.  The bus bridge decides how to handle various
bus requests from the CPU to different parts of the address space.  It has
to "know" where there are 8 and 16 bit peripherals and how to turn a 16 bit
request to an 8 bit "area" into two back-to-back 8 bit requests with proper
wait-states and all.*

The solution to this same problem made the AT design messier.

[* I know this problem well:  I helped design a single-chip gate-array for
8086 XT-clone motherboards for LSI Logic.]

--
Bruce Walker         ...uunet!utai!lsuc!isgtec!bmw         bmw@isgtec.uucp
"Remember Rule Number 79: When the tough get going, the weak get screwed."

jensting@skinfaxe.diku.dk (Jens Tingleff) (05/29/90)

bmw@isgtec.UUCP (Bruce Walker) writes:

>In article <4790@pegasus.ATT.COM> dmt@pegasus1.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) writes:
>> 	Does anyone know of any other 8086-based XT clones (not made by
>> 	Olivetti), or is this the only counter-example to Ian's
>> 	statement?

The Amstrad/Schneider PC line started out with some 8086 based XTs. As
this is mainly a european / english effort, people in the USA may not
have herd of Amstrad/Schneider.

	Jens

jensting@diku.dk is
Jens Tingleff MSc EE, Research Assistent at DIKU
	Institute of Computer Science, Copenhagen University
Snail mail: DIKU Universitetsparken 1 DK2100 KBH O

In article <774@bilver.UUCP> bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) writes:
| In article <451@isgtec.UUCP> bmw@isgtec.UUCP (Bruce Walker) writes:
| >Also, to this day, one of the magic cookie disk-type values (0xf8 thru 0xff,
| >found in the boot block) means eight-inch floppy -- ever see an 8" floppy on
| >any MSDOS machine? The Seattle Computing machine had them!
|
| Yup! I did.  Put a pair of 8" drives on an original PC (the one with the tape
| connector) to go along with the 5" drives.  8"s were SO MUCH faster.

  Yes, this morning. I have an S100 system with 8" drive and MS-DOS
sitting in the same rack as the S100 68000 and the 486 running V.4 (I
have an eclectic computer room).

  And as long as people are willing to pay me $10/disk to copy stuff
to/from CP/M and 8" MS-DOS formats, I'll keep the system, and keep it
running. With bank switching disk cache the floppies are nicely fast,
thanks.