[comp.arch] RS/6000 Instruction Set Reference

preston@frisia.rice.edu (Preston Briggs) (05/26/90)

campbell@sauron.UUCP (Mark Campbell) writes:
>Does anyone know of any literature describing in detail the
>RS/6000 instruction set?

This isn't the level of detail you're looking for,
but it is very interesting.

Volume 34, Number 1 (January 1990) of the IBM Journal of
Research and Development is devoted to the 6000.
The contents include:

Overview

	The evolution of RISC technology at IBM
		John Cocke and V. Markstein

	The IBM RISC System/6000 processor: Hardware overview
		Bakoglu, Grohoski, and Montoye

Hardware design and architecture

	IBM RISC System/6000 processor architecture
		Oehler and Groves

	Machine organization of the IBM RISC System/6000 processor
		Grohoski

	Design of the IBM RISC System/6000 floating-point execution unit
		Montoye, Hokenek, and Runyon

	Leading-zero anticipator (LZA) in the IBM RISC System/6000
	floating-point execution unit
		Hokenek and Montoye

			(1 cycle to normalize and add!)

	Pseudorandom built-in self-test methodology and implementation
	for the IBM RISC System/6000 processor
		Ratiu and Bakoglu

Instruction scheduling

	Instruction scheduling for the IBM RISC System/6000 processor
		Warren

	Instruction scheduling beyond basic blocks
		Golumbic and Rainish

Innovations in the operating system and functional algorithms

	Managing programs and libraries in AIX Version 3 for
	IBM RISC System/6000 processors
		Auslander

	Evolution of storage facilities in AIX Version 3 for
	IBM RISC System/6000 processors
		Chang, Mergen, Rader, Roberts, and Porter

	Computation of elementary functions on the IBM RISC
	System/6000 processor
		P. Markstein

--
Preston Briggs				looking for the great leap forward
preston@titan.rice.edu

zs01+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zalman Stern) (05/30/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.arch: 24-May-90 RS/6000 Instruction Set Ref..
> Mark Campbell@sauron.Col (431)

> Does anyone know of any literature describing in detail the
RS/6000 instruction set? [...]

I believe the official IBM document is:

ORDERNO    SC23-2197                  SUFFIX: 00
TITLE      ASSEMBLER LANGUAGE REFERENCE FOR AIX VERSION 3 FOR RISC
SYSTEM/6000
DESCRIBE   Manual, 8 1/2 x 11 inches, 500 pages, 04/90
PRICE      SELL PRICE:       $18.25

The only paper version of this I have seen thus far is IBM confidential.
(That doesn't mean a public version doesn't exist, it just means I
haven't seen one.) If you have a RIOS running 9013 or above with
softcopy publications (InfoExplorer), this manual in included in the
online documentation. (Every vendor should include a full instruction
set reference in the online docs!)

The manual mentioned above is probably good enough for compiler work.
For OS style stuff, you will want more. The only other documentation I
know of is an (370 principles of operation style) architecture manual
which will probably show up as part of the hardware tech ref.

Sincerely,
Zalman Stern | Internet: zs01+@andrew.cmu.edu | Usenet: I'm soooo
confused...
Information Technology Center, Carnegie Mellon, Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890
*** Friends don't let friends program in C++ ***