[comp.arch] Microprocessors and market forces

martin@minster.york.ac.uk (05/25/90)

In article <1990May22.072208.15547@city.ac.uk> sb380@city.ac.uk (HOLT A D) writes:
>In article <j5dps8023@tmsoft.uucp> mason@tmsoft.UUCP (Dave Mason) writes:
>>>It wasn't for want of trying; a lot of people lost their shirts on it.
>>>The successful ones can be counted on your thumbs.
>>
>>(That's how you do it Henry, you have extra hands :-)  I count at least
>>Encore, Sequent, Whitechapel,... in the Unix market.  32000s are also
>>very popular in Laserprinters)
>>
>But Whitechapel went bust ....
>(and Sequent changed to the Intel chip - don't know about Encore)

Yes, and the machines that Whitechapel were working on, when they went
bust, were based on the MIPS R3000!!!

>Andy
>
>who needs a signature anyhow?

Indeed!

stevew@wyse.wyse.com (Steve Wilson xttemp dept303) (05/31/90)

In article <JIM.90May22114540@baird.cs.strath.ac.uk> jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) writes:
>Sequent went
>for the NS32032 (as opposed to an M68k) because it didn't have an
>on-chip cache which would have made a shared-memory multiprocessor box
>difficult to build. At that time (6-7 years ago),

First question is how does an on-chip cache help with a shared-memory
multiprocessor box?  It should make things more difficult due to
cache coherency issues.  Also note that the 32032 didn't have
an on-chip cache either.  Perhaps you mean the MMU(32032 didn't
have on-chip MMU, but did have a simi-working MMU chip.)

Steve Wilson

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (05/31/90)

In article <2732@wyse.wyse.com> stevew@wyse.UUCP (Steve Wilson xttemp dept303) writes:
>In article <JIM.90May22114540@baird.cs.strath.ac.uk> jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) writes:
>>Sequent went
>>for the NS32032 (as opposed to an M68k) because it didn't have an
>>on-chip cache which would have made a shared-memory multiprocessor box
>>difficult to build. At that time (6-7 years ago),
>
>First question is how does an on-chip cache help with a shared-memory
>multiprocessor box?  It should make things more difficult due to
>cache coherency issues.  Also note that the 32032 didn't have
>an on-chip cache either.  Perhaps you mean the MMU(32032 didn't
>have on-chip MMU, but did have a simi-working MMU chip.)

You're right, and so's Jim; you just parsed his statement incorrectly.
He said that Sequent went for the NS32032, as opposed to an M68K,
because the NS part didn't have an on-chip cache, and on-chip caches
would have made a shared-memory multiprocessor box like Sequent's
difficult to build.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939
MS 4-02    950 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94086   voicemail: +1 408 524-7421

stevew@wyse.wyse.com (Steve Wilson xttemp dept303) (05/31/90)

In article <2732@wyse.wyse.com> stevew@wyse.UUCP (Steve Wilson xttemp dept303) writes:
>In article <JIM.90May22114540@baird.cs.strath.ac.uk> jim@cs.strath.ac.uk (Jim Reid) writes:
>>Sequent went
>>for the NS32032 (as opposed to an M68k) because it didn't have an
>>on-chip cache which would have made a shared-memory multiprocessor box
>>difficult to build. At that time (6-7 years ago),
>
>First question is how does an on-chip cache help with a shared-memory
>multiprocessor box?  It should make things more difficult due to
>cache coherency issues.  Also note that the 32032 didn't have
>an on-chip cache either.  Perhaps you mean the MMU(32032 didn't
>have on-chip MMU, but did have a simi-working MMU chip.)
>
>Steve Wilson

As has been pointed out to me rather politely (as oppossed to the flame
it probably deserved) I mis-read the original comment. Sorry about
that folks....

Maybe the only useful item in the posting was that the MMU available
from NSC at the time perhaps played a role in Sequent's decision.
I know the MMU was an important factor for Tolerant System choosing
the 32K.

Steve Wilson