[comp.arch] The invisible hand of Adam Smith

eric@snark.uu.net (Eric S. Raymond) (06/01/90)

In <76700221@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu wrote:
> What are the answers to these questions?
>
> 1.  Who is Adam Smith?

The founder of political economics (some would say the founder of economics
period). His major work, _The_Wealth_Of_Nations_, was the first to describe
and advocate what would now be called free-enterprise capitalism. It was first
published in 1776, I think.

> 2.  What is so important about his hand?
> 3.  Why is his hand invisible?

There's a famous quote from _The_Wealth_Of_Nations_ describing the action
of the market as being like an invisible hand, directing persons through their
own selfish interest to act in ways which produce cooperation and benefits to
society at large.

> Thanks.  I cannot understand that string of messages concerning Adam
> Smith.

These messages were discussing the ways in which market pressure (the invisible
hand) has driven the evolution of the microprocessor.
--
      Eric S. Raymond = ...!uunet!snark!eric  (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)