[comp.arch] The invisible hand of Adam Smit

gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu (05/31/90)

What are the answers to these questions?

1.  Who is Adam Smith?
2.  What is so important about his hand?
3.  Why is his hand invisible?

Thanks.  I cannot understand that string of messages concerning Adam
Smith.

Don W. Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801
ARPA: gillies@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP: {uunet,harvard}!uiucdcs!gillies

sandee@fsu.scri.fsu.edu (Daan Sandee) (06/01/90)

In article <76700221@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

 >> What are the answers to these questions?
 >>
 >> 1.  Who is Adam Smith?
 >> 2.  What is so important about his hand?
 >> 3.  Why is his hand invisible?
 >>
 >> Thanks.  I cannot understand that string of messages concerning Adam
 >> Smith.
 >>
 >> Don W. Gillies, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Illinois
 >> 1304 W. Springfield, Urbana, Ill 61801

This query proves to this European once more the quality of American
education. In Europe, people who don't know who Adam Smith was (not is),
wouldn't be allowed near a computer, let alone be employed at a University.
On the other hand, many CS professionals in Europe have no idea who Babe
Ruth was - but then, he was an American, while A.Smith was a European.
Still, A.Smith probably has had more influence on the American way of life
than even B.Ruth has had. Whereas the influence of Babe Ruth on Europe is
negligible.

Daan Sandee                                           sandee@scri1.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052  (904) 644-7045

keller@saturn.ucsc.edu (Jeffrey M. Keller) (06/02/90)

In article <860@fsu.scri.fsu.edu> sandee@fsu.scri.fsu.edu.UUCP (Daan Sandee) writes:
>This query proves to this European once more the quality of American
>education.
>Daan Sandee                                           sandee@scri1.scri.fsu.edu
>Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
>Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052  (904) 644-7045

Hey, now, do you really expect *everybody* on this newsgroup to know
who Adam Smith was?  Consider how many messages there have been in that
thread.  (50? 100? more?)  Is it unreasonable that *someone* should
finally come forward to ask?
--
Jeff Keller           keller@saturn.ucsc.edu           (408)425-5416
THIS LIFE IS A TEST.  IT IS ONLY A TEST.   HAD THIS BEEN A REAL LIFE,

In article <860@fsu.scri.fsu.edu> sandee@fsu.scri.fsu.edu.UUCP (Daan Sandee) writes:

| This query proves to this European once more the quality of American
| education. In Europe, people who don't know who Adam Smith was (not is),
| wouldn't be allowed near a computer, let alone be employed at a University.

  Obviously if one person managed to get a job in a university without
taking material taught in high school (age 15, usually), this proves the
US education system is faulty.

  Now I know a European who never learned about "hasty generalization,"
a topic also often taught at age 15. I guess if I hadn't had that
training I would conclude that the European schools are faulty, and that
Europeans have a false superiority complex.

dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) (06/02/90)

In article <2288@crdos1.crd.ge.COM> davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.com (bill davidsen) writes:
 > In article <860@fsu.scri.fsu.edu> sandee@fsu.scri.fsu.edu.UUCP (Daan Sandee) writes:
 >
 > | This query proves to this European once more the quality of American
 > | education. In Europe, people who don't know who Adam Smith was (not is),
 > | wouldn't be allowed near a computer, let alone be employed at a University.
 >
 >   Obviously if one person managed to get a job in a university without
 > taking material taught in high school (age 15, usually), this proves the
 > US education system is faulty.
 >
 >   Now I know a European who never learned about "hasty generalization,"
 > a topic also often taught at age 15. I guess if I hadn't had that
 > training I would conclude that the European schools are faulty, and that
 > Europeans have a false superiority complex.

Obviously we have a false superiority complex.  I did not know who Adam Smith
was, and I am near a computer for over 20 years now (although this is not a
University).
dik@cwi.nl

raob@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au (richard oxbrow) (06/02/90)

In article <860@fsu.scri.fsu.edu> sandee@fsu.scri.fsu.edu.UUCP (Daan Sandee) writes:
>In article <76700221@p.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@p.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> >> What are the answers to these questions?
> >> 1.  Who is Adam Smith?
> >> 2.  What is so important about his hand?
> >> 3.  Why is his hand invisible?
> >>
>This query proves to this European once more the quality of American
>Still, A.Smith probably has had more influence on the American way of life
>than even B.Ruth has had. Whereas the influence of Babe Ruth on Europe is
>negligible.

more trival ..

	According to my old Economics Prof (a "real" Adam Smith fan) the
only@ people to visit Adams grave are the Japanese and of course himself.
If I remeber correctly both he and the Japanese were suprised by the
condition of his grave (this was 5-15 years ago).

How many of you (europeans) have visited his grave ?

	richard ..

@. Probably another gross generalisation on the person in charge of the
graveyard.
richard oxbrow			   |internet    raob@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU
ee eng,  uni of melbourne          |uunet       ..!uunet!munnari!mullian!raob
parkville 3052           	   |fax         +[613] 344 6678
australia               	   |phone       +[613] 344 6782

jkrueger@dgis.dtic.dla.mil (Jon) (06/04/90)

sandee@fsu.scri.fsu.edu (Daan Sandee) writes:

>In Europe, people who don't know who Adam Smith was (not is),
>wouldn't be allowed near a computer, let alone be employed at a University.

"Freeze!  Cultural literacy police, back away from that terminal!!  OK,
now slowly, put that user's manual back on the desk.  Good.  Good.
Now, buster, who first used the term "social contract", and what has
been its effect on timesharing?"

Can't dispute your main point, though.  Yes, Americans are seldom
conversant with ideas or events that haven't appeared on TV within
the last two weeks.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled newsgroup :-)

-- Jon
--
Jonathan Krueger    jkrueger@dtic.dla.mil   uunet!dgis!jkrueger
Drop in next time you're in the tri-planet area!