[comp.arch] Alliant FX/8 Cache Info Needed

wendyt@june.cs.washington.edu (Wendy Thrash) (06/02/90)

In order to finish a paper by the end of this quarter (!),
I need to get more detailed information on the Alliant FX/8
data cache than I currently have available.  I'd appreciate
mail from anyone who can tell me
1) Most important:  How many bytes are in a cache line/block?
2) What's the difference between their "2-way interleaved"
   cache and a 2-way set associative cache?
3) When there are two cache modules on the system, does each
   service a separate four-CE clump (assuming 8 CE's)?
   What exactly do Alliant mean when they say that adding
   a second module produces a four-way interleaved cache?
4) Is it true that each cache module is 256K = 128K x 2?
   That's what my FX/8 Product Summary says, but Gallivan,
   Jalby, et. al. (1988 IJSCA) describe the FX/8 cache as 128K.

Please note that this is not an attempt to get someone else to
write the paper for me; I need more information about the cache
to explain some anomalous (but pleasing) results I've produced.

fortuna@Alliant.COM (Mike Fortuna) (06/05/90)

In article <12104@june.cs.washington.edu> wendyt@june.cs.washington.edu (Wendy Thrash) writes:
>In order to finish a paper by the end of this quarter (!),
>I need to get more detailed information on the Alliant FX/8
>data cache than I currently have available.  I'd appreciate
>mail from anyone who can tell me
>1) Most important:  How many bytes are in a cache line/block?

8 bytes (64 bits) per line. Also known as a quad word. Each cache block contains
4 quad words.

>2) What's the difference between their "2-way interleaved"
>   cache and a 2-way set associative cache?

I'm not sure about 2-way set associative but two way interleaved means every
other quad word resides in a different cache quadrant. Each cache module can
be thought of as two independent caches (quadrants). Address bits 4 and 3 are
used to select which quadrant as follows:

	Bit 4  Bit 3	Quadrant
	-----  -----    --------
         0      0          W
	 0      1          X
         1      0	   X
         1      1	   W

>3) When there are two cache modules on the system, does each
>   service a separate four-CE clump (assuming 8 CE's)?

No. Both modules service all the CEs. You can even run 8 CEs with one Cache
Module.

>   What exactly do Alliant mean when they say that adding
>   a second module produces a four-way interleaved cache?

Address bit 5 selects one of two cache modules. Address bits 4 and 3 select
one of two quadrants per cache. Four quadrants imply four way interleaved.

>4) Is it true that each cache module is 256K = 128K x 2?
>   That's what my FX/8 Product Summary says, but Gallivan,
>   Jalby, et. al. (1988 IJSCA) describe the FX/8 cache as 128K.

Each original-design cache module contains two 32K quadrants (128K per system).
Newer cache modules use larger SRAMs. I believe each cache quadrant is 128K.

--
	- Mike Fortuna			VOICE: (508) 486-1240
Internet: fortuna@alliant.alliant.com	SMAIL: 1 Monarch Drive